Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > EverQuest n00b -- should I try it out?

EverQuest n00b -- should I try it out?
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2003, 12:04 AM

OK, I'm a total EverQuest n00b. I'm contemplating buying it and paying for maybe three months to try and get into it. I've no experience at all with it, but my friends say I'll really like it, even if I can't play with them (they're on PCs). So what does everyone here think? Anyone have experience with the new EverQuest Mac community? Is it worth buying the game to give it a try for a few months? Any thoughts welcome. Except for "OMG, EQ is teh suxx0rz LOLlolOlLoLlO!11!1!" Thanks!

In other words, convince me one way or the other to try it or not.
( Last edited by MindFad; Aug 6, 2003 at 12:45 AM. )

zewm
Aug 6, 2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
"OMG, EQ is teh suxx0rz LOLlolOlLoLlO!11!1!" Thanks!
It is really old and outdated. It has the worst customer support. The best MMORPG available right now is Anarchy Online. It has great graphics, amazing gameplay and replay value. The customer support in-game is one of the best programs to-date.

www.anarchy-online.com

I am not sure if it is available for mac though.

On a side note, EQ won't be too bad as a start up mmorpg. EQ was my first mmorpg. I learned MMORPG basics with EQ, and have since played a few MMORPGs with a shorter learning curve. I would suggest using any free trials they might offer. AO has a 7 day free trial.

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Aug 6, 2003, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by zewm:
It is really old and outdated.
Although the game is a few years old, I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it outdated. The UI was completely rewritten about a year ago, and several of the models, textures and maps have been improved (and are still being improved) since the release. In short, EQ today looks a lot more modern than EQ of a few years back.
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by zewm:
It is really old and outdated. It has the worst customer support. The best MMORPG available right now is Anarchy Online. It has great graphics, amazing gameplay and replay value. The customer support in-game is one of the best programs to-date.

www.anarchy-online.com

I am not sure if it is available for mac though.

On a side note, EQ won't be too bad as a start up mmorpg. EQ was my first mmorpg. I learned MMORPG basics with EQ, and have since played a few MMORPGs with a shorter learning curve. I would suggest using any free trials they might offer. AO has a 7 day free trial.
funny how EQ once was the best graphic MMORPG during its peak. if you like Stars Wars then tryout Star War Galaxies once it gets it act together. EQ, AO & others was crap until they got money to fix its problems during release.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 08:46 AM

....my friends say I'll really like it, even if I can't play with them (they're on PCs).
This person is looking for a MAC game, so please stop suggesting PC MMORPGs

I wish people would answer the question and stay on topic

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 09:21 AM

I haven't played Everquest on the PC side. I started playing when they released the beta on the Mac. Honestly I can say I'm having fun playing the game. Its a very social game and the community has been great for the most part. I've read someone describe it as a chatroom with roleplaying thrown in. In many regards it is. The world is humungous. Sure it will take me forever to see even half of it. If you know someone who has a copy of the game, it should have come with a 7 day trial key for them to let friends use. This will give you a good feel for the game and as to whether it is for you. For more targeted question to people who are playing right now, I would recommend that you head over to eqmac.com and visit the forums or maceq.info. That way any specific questions you have may be directly addressed.

From what I've read if you're the sort of person who likes giant group raids, destroying cities and siege warfare perhaps ShadowBane may be the game for you. I personally haven't played it as it's not my type of game, but bugs aside (EQ has it's share) the people who have been playing it have been enjoying it.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2003, 08:19 PM

Well, thanks for the info, guys, but yeah, I'm not looking for a PC game. I'm trying to decide to play EQ on the Mac or not at all. I'm leaning towards trying it out. Might be really fun.

Ashman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 12:55 AM

You might also try Shadowbane. It's more of a guild vs. guild or player vs. player type game though.

wingdo
Senior User
Aug 12, 2003, 10:53 AM

OK, I'm a total EverQuest n00b. I'm contemplating buying it and paying for maybe three months to try and get into it.

In other words, convince me one way or the other to try it or not.
I've been playing the game for about three weeks or so. I love it. The community is great, and the game is fun to play. This is a chance to show the developers Mac people actually do play games on their Macs. Everyone always said how great EQ was for the PC, and it has finally been released for the Mac. I say try it for yourself, I personally think it is great.

[edit] changed DQ to the correct EQ
( Last edited by wingdo; Aug 12, 2003 at 11:57 AM. )

-Q-
Aug 12, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by wingdo:
Everyone always said how great DQ was for the PC, and it has finally been released for the Mac. I say try it for yourself, I personally think it is great.
I didn't know Dairy Queen was platform-specific.

I tried EQ during the beta and it still had the things wrong with it that I found in playing it for Windows: The commands are really obtuse and unfriendly. I may give SW: Galaxies a go, but other than Diablo on Battlenet, I don't seem to enjoy the MMORPG. As always, YMMV. But as suggested above, why not give it a go?
( Last edited by -Q-; Aug 12, 2003 at 11:56 AM. )

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 01:20 PM

I think I will give it a go for a few months. Thanks, guys. I imagine it won't suck too much since it will be all Mac users, and they tend to be more friendly and helpful (or so I've observed).

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2003, 03:43 AM

I was a beta tester and it was a chore to test. The graphics are horrid, the interface sucks, and the gameplay was boring - but then there weren't that many people online at the time which is the game's strongest point - community gameplay.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 11:40 AM

Mindfad, wait for World of Warcraft. (www.blizzard.com/wow)

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2003, 12:04 PM

Blizzard doesn't even offer an estimate for delivery of this game. Does anybody know anything about this? 2003? 2004?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 12:30 PM

I've heard about beta testing this fall. From which I would assume a release date within 4-5 months afterwards. I'm guessing sometime early 2004, probably first quarter.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2003, 04:07 PM

I think I will give it a go for a few months. Thanks, guys. I imagine it won't suck too much since it will be all Mac users, and they tend to be more friendly and helpful (or so I've observed).
I gave it a try and have since cancelled my account. I just could not get into the game. There weren't a lot of other players around, the graphics are terrible, and the interface is not very Mac-like.

I'm going to hold out for WoW as I know Blizzard will turn out an awesome product, we just don't know exactly when Back to WC3:FT!
MacBook Pro

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2003, 06:38 PM

Wow! WoW looks great!!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
I gave it a try and have since cancelled my account. I just could not get into the game. There weren't a lot of other players around, the graphics are terrible, and the interface is not very Mac-like.

I'm going to hold out for WoW as I know Blizzard will turn out an awesome product, we just don't know exactly when Back to WC3:FT!
I think it's a game I could get in to. And I know the graphics are a bit dated -- and almost seem pretty cheesy at times (sometimes you just think, "hmmm, student game developer, I bet").

I'll still give 'er a shot. Though I'm also excited about seeing how WoW shapes up.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 04:50 PM

Mindfad, see the other guy's post about everquest. Apparently they segregate mac users from pc users. WoW will not, I'm sure.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 04:11 AM

lineage rocks www.lineage.com
we don't have time to stop for gas

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2003, 07:40 PM

Hmm, now what the hell. I was all excited about getting the free EverQuest offer from Apple for renewing, but it says DVD edition, and that it requires a DVD reader to install. Is this just a different version? Does it not come as a CD version, because I don't have a damn DVD reader. Damn it, man, and I was all tuned up for getting it for free. Mofos. I'll just take the $20 off thing and buy it. ****in' a!

devmage
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Mindfad, see the other guy's post about everquest. Apparently they segregate mac users from pc users. WoW will not, I'm sure.
What is it with that anyway? When I read the BS reason they gave for seperating the mac users it pissed me off. They should have been able to code a client on the mac to communicate with the current servers without coding an entirely diffrent server and client. No wonder it took them so long to get this out. It would be so lame to only have other mac users to play with rather than playing on the full servers.

Devmage

Xaaron Swiftblade
Aug 24, 2003, 08:06 PM

I played EQ a month or two after it was released on PC. I played on and off for about 2 (maybe 3, it's all a blur) years. Being the obsessive type, I can honestly tell you it's the closest I've ever been to drug addiction (yeah, i'm a drama queen). I got REALLY bad playing that game. During the school year (I was in highschool) I wasn't allowed to play so I'd sneak on early in the morning and live vicariously through my friends that could play. After quitting cold turkey I've almost given up videogames entirely (allowing me to experience the greatness of the mac )

My name is Xaaron Swiftblade, and I was addicted to Everquest.

hui
Aug 31, 2003, 05:11 AM

Yeb I agree with Xaaron Swiftblade about the addiction part. Whilst playing this game (used to play on the PC when it was released till about 2 years ago) and it's REALLY addictive. You don't really notice how time flies and you sit there all day huddled up to your pc playing this lil' game. Don't get me wrong its good fun. Personally I can't wait till WoW comes out. Does anyone know where I can download the trial copy of shadowbane? I visited their website and clicked on the "Free Trial" and then the Mac free trial but it then downloads a .exe files which only runs on PC. Please help!

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by Xaaron Swiftblade:
I played EQ a month or two after it was released on PC. I played on and off for about 2 (maybe 3, it's all a blur) years. Being the obsessive type, I can honestly tell you it's the closest I've ever been to drug addiction (yeah, i'm a drama queen). I got REALLY bad playing that game. During the school year (I was in highschool) I wasn't allowed to play so I'd sneak on early in the morning and live vicariously through my friends that could play. After quitting cold turkey I've almost given up videogames entirely (allowing me to experience the greatness of the mac )

My name is Xaaron Swiftblade, and I was addicted to Everquest.
Scary! I played about the same time frame and quit cold turkey Jan 1, 03. I also played too much and had an agreement with my wife on "game nights", I got Sun (all day), Mon and Thursday (nights). I also quit gaming since. I think it's because nothing compares to EQ and that I re-discovered my old hobbies.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 19, 2003, 04:22 PM

EverQuest is a piece of ****...you can have as much fun (if not more) on a free text-based MUSH or MUD.

I don't understand how people can be attracted to such a game. Must be lots of n00b nerds with no life out there.

jbnatedog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by hui:
Yeb I agree with Xaaron Swiftblade about the addiction part. Whilst playing this game (used to play on the PC when it was released till about 2 years ago) and it's REALLY addictive. You don't really notice how time flies and you sit there all day huddled up to your pc playing this lil' game. Don't get me wrong its good fun. Personally I can't wait till WoW comes out. Does anyone know where I can download the trial copy of shadowbane? I visited their website and clicked on the "Free Trial" and then the Mac free trial but it then downloads a .exe files which only runs on PC. Please help!
Hui,

You can indeed use the Shadowbane trial. That .exe file is actually a compressed set of files that you can open with Stuffit Expander. Just drop that file onto the Expander icon and Stuffit will open it.
Then, you can launch the installer program and install Shadowbane.

Hope to see you on the servers.

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Blizzard doesn't even offer an estimate for delivery of this game. Does anybody know anything about this? 2003? 2004?
From Blizzard's website:
When will the beta start?
The beta is expected to begin in Q4 (October, November, December)...
Spring, summer of '04?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2003, 02:20 AM

I'm definitly holding out for World of Warcraft. If a MMORPG is going to waste my time, it might as well be this.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

superfula
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 03:35 AM

In the same boat as mindfad here. My only other mmorpg game was ultima online RIGHT when it was released a few years ago. And it stunk...very laggy.

Anyway...that .mac offer is calling me, so I thought I could try it. But my question...what are the system specs you guys play it on? Anything around a Quicksilver 733? And how does it play

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 09:48 AM

A 733 should play EQ fine. The only other concern you should have is how much RAM you have and what your Video card is. The more RAM you have and the better video card, the more settings you can have turned on like any game. Some zones are sluggish even with my system, but a large majority of the zones play fine. I run a DP800 768MB, GeForce 3. I hear the G5s eat this game up. I know of some people who play the game with the old models on a G4 450; so as long as you're willing to give up some eye candy most recent systems should play it just fine.

The only other suggestion I can give is that if play is sluggish, lose the sound. They recently switched the game over to a quicktime based sound system from the Miles library. Where the Miles library caused locks and freezes, the quicktime library seems to cause sluggish play occasionally. I personally play without sound. The fighting music gets inane after a while anyways, although I think the Plane of Tranquility music kicks ass. Very relaxing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules