Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Anyone playing Everquest?

Anyone playing Everquest?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2003, 12:45 PM

Thoughts?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 01:01 PM

I played on the PC 2+ years and was part of the Mac beta. Although I was impressed with the quality of the Mac port, the game (graphics engine, storyline, etc.) is old and tired and I have since stopped playing.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2003, 01:07 PM

I'm still playing the EQ version. I can see why it would get tired. Especially if you're locked into a zone forevery (like Lake of Ill Omen). What I'm doing now is I have a 46 druid and I'm trying to see as much as I can before I retire my characters and move on to EQ2.

As for the Mac version, I was VERY impressed with it. They did a damn good job.

Mike

-Q-
Jul 7, 2003, 02:13 PM

I have to agree. I was beta testing for them and it was quite impressive how well the game worked.

I'm not playing outside the beta simply b/c I really never liked the controls. Still a bit to obtuse for my liking. And it very well could be that I'm not cut out for MMORPGs--I've played a few and haven't found any that I liked, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2003, 02:24 PM

If Mac and Windows clients were working with the same servers, I would have bought a copy of the Mac version.

Mike

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 10:46 AM

I'm playing myself. Actually enjoying the game. I played during the beta and learned the ropes. Its helping lots now that the game has gone live. I've been using the skins at eqinterface.com to help clean up some of the interface that I didn't like. Adding things like percentages of targets HP etc. The only gripe I have right now are the random hard locks. Sony went ahead and shipped even though this was a heavily reported issue at end of beta. Good news is they're far between. Otherwise I would reconsider paying. Feel free to msg me if on.

Tofu
Lvl 24 Paladin

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by starman:
If Mac and Windows clients were working with the same servers, I would have bought a copy of the Mac version.

Mike

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2003, 04:11 AM

Beta was nice, and the port is very good. If I wasn't burnt from 3 years on the PC and it being turned into a "whine and you will recieve" game I'd probably play it on the mac. If you are new to EQ, give it a try, it's a very fun, communal, and addictive game.
You don't need a powerful system to play but having at least the minumum of 32MB vid ram will make it look much nicer.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 11:00 AM

Ordered my copy already and its currently in transit on its way to me.

Cant wait to unwrap it and get playing.

I never played the originmal eq, but I was an ultima online player and liked that game very much.

Will post a review in this forum once ive played it. Hopefully it arrives in the next few days.....
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2003, 12:29 AM

I'm ordering this on monday, as amazon has it for 19.99. I've played the PC version for quite a while now, so i'm not new in any sense. Can you all tell me what server you are on (is there even more than 1 mac server)? It would be cool if the macnn users had their own guild or what not.

Thanks,
cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 05:50 PM

Look for me, "Kandian" lvl 18 ranger.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2003, 11:01 AM

There's only one Mac server. Al'Kabor. I was part of the raid that dropped the first Kunark dragon last night. Only took us 5 months We've also had a dual guild break into Hate. Not as speedy as the PC bretherin but I know I'm having a ton of fun.

Tofu Level 57 Knight of Al'Kabor

LithiumPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 03:43 PM

Is there a lot of MAC users playing? Just curious.

sideus
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by LithiumPro:
Is there a lot of MAC users playing? Just curious.
No, but I bet there are a few Mac users.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
No, but I bet there are a few Mac users.
At least we don't have to worry about over-populated zones
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

roders
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 09:21 PM

There's always someone around, not too few and not too many people, but never as populated as the PC servers are now.
The games is god damn buggy though, as is Shadowbane, I wish the developers would sort these games out, or better yet release them sorted in the first place! (what a novel idea...)
( Last edited by roders; Dec 1, 2003 at 09:28 PM. )

LithiumPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 12:42 PM

So would you guys recommend it for a NewB? I always wanted to try out EQ, see what the fuss is all about - but is it worth it?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2003, 01:57 PM

I've played it for a bit. Almost level 10 Ogre Shadow Knight, but I'm about to cancel my subscription for a bit until I have more time to play.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 03:52 PM

You can always purchase the game and try it for a month. Although it requires a credit card to play, the first month is free. To get in touch with other EQMac newbies I would recommend going over to EQmac.com to talk with many of the other people starting out and to get advice from those who have played for a while. If nothing else it might help you hook up with other players.

CIA
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 11:31 PM

I beta tested both the Mac and the PS2 version. Never played the PC one though. After seeing screens of EQ2, I was put off by EQ1's old graphics engine.... I'm waiting for FFXI on PS2 now....

Forum Links
Forum Rules