Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > My fight with css

My fight with css
RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2004, 06:03 PM

I am designing the website for my schools newspaper and I decided to go with movable type. Even though it makes things trickier as far as organization, its search and archive properties make sense for the paper. I also decided to use strict compliant css and html because I think seperating the content from the formatting is a smart thing to do.This is where I hit my problem.

css is very picky. It will render correctly in a compliant browser (safari) and not in IE. Or it will render correctly in IE and not in safari. Does it make sense to continue trying to use css when it is clearly not ready for wide spread rollout?

Any ideas? And what have you done to combat this problem? Oh, and the design is barebones right now while I fight with this code, but any suggestions would be good.

edit Found my problem...the movable type tag for extended entries screws up the css. Thanks for the help. (removed outdated links)
( Last edited by RedStar; Mar 9, 2004 at 01:16 AM. )

halogen8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 12:22 PM

You can validate your site here:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Once you validate the html, validate the CSS. If there are errors, the site will give you some ideas of what is causing the error.

Forum Links
Forum Rules