Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" iBook 1.07 GHz has shipped

12" iBook 1.07 GHz has shipped
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 22, 2004, 11:08 AM

On the plane here from Taiwan...

Pretty fast, considering it's a BTO: 12" 1.067 GHz with 40 GB and AE.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 12:02 PM

What did you BTO about it?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 12:14 PM

I guess adding an AE card makes it BTO.

Voch

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
I guess adding an AE card makes it BTO.
That and the 40 GB. It normally comes with 30 GB.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 01:45 PM

Have you putted it on some tests yet?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

biosphere
Apr 22, 2004, 02:30 PM

I might be totally lost here, but the new 12" iBook actually is a 1,07 GHz G4? Any links? That is a nice little bonus, isn't it?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Have you putted it on some tests yet?
It's still on the plane from Taipei.

Originally posted by biosphere:
I might be totally lost here, but the new 12" iBook actually is a 1,07 GHz G4? Any links? That is a nice little bonus, isn't it?
I'm told that the power saving features of the new 7447A do not support non-integer multipliers. Thus, Apple has chosen only to use integer multipliers.

ie. 133.33 x 8.0 = 1067 MHz instead of 133.33 x 7.5 = 1000 MHz

Also:

14" iBook: 133.33 x 9.0 = 1200 MHz
12" PBook: 166.67 x 8.0 = 1333 MHz
15" PBook: 166.67 x 9.0 = 1500 MHz
17" PBook: 166.67 x 9.0 = 1500 MHz

Proof:

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
It's still on the plane from Taipei.
Oops!

Anyway, do you have plans to apply the spanning hack on it? I would love to hear if it still works. But ofcourse I wouldn't recommend you to do a test pilot on that unless ofcourse it is your intention to apply the hack in the first place.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 07:34 PM

Anyway, do you have plans to apply the spanning hack on it? I would love to hear if it still works. But ofcourse I wouldn't recommend you to do a test pilot on that unless ofcourse it is your intention to apply the hack in the first place.
I don't think I'll be the guinea pig... esp. since the machine is for my GF who doesn't actually need desktop spanning.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I don't think I'll be the guinea pig... esp. since the machine is for my GF who doesn't actually need desktop spanning.
Sure she'll notice?

tnx anyway. Still curious on the performance thought.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 11:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
[B]It's still on the plane from Taipei.

I'm told that the power saving features of the new 7447A do not support non-integer multipliers. Thus, Apple has chosen only to use integer multipliers.

ie. 133.33 x 8.0 = 1067 MHz instead of 133.33 x 7.5 = 1000 MHz

Also:

14" iBook: 133.33 x 9.0 = 1200 MHz
12" PBook: 166.67 x 8.0 = 1333 MHz
15" PBook: 166.67 x 9.0 = 1500 MHz
17" PBook: 166.67 x 9.0 = 1500 MHz

Please forgive my ignorance as I am only a novice techie but I don't understand all of that equation. I understand that 133.33 and 166.67 are the system buses but where are you getting that multiplier of 8.0 and 9.0 from?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 11:34 PM

The clock speed is a multiple of the bus speed.

1500/166.667=9

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 12:25 AM

I thought AE was standard now? Or was that just the powerbooks?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I thought AE was standard now? Or was that just the powerbooks?
It's just the pbs.

mspalacios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 09:11 AM

It only took 2 days to get my BTO 1Ghz on the plane, should be here mid next week (today is Friday).

For mine, the AE and the Bluetooth built in made it BTO.

Can't wait to test and compare it with my trusty TiBook 667Mhz.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 05:53 PM

I just received my BTO 1GHz 12" ibook today. According to Fedex, it shipped from Taiwan on the 22nd, delivered here in Lansing,MI today. I selected the free shipping. Doesn't get much faster than that.

I've been playing around with it for about a half hour, so far so good.

mrweirdo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 11:17 PM

cool let us know how you like it after you get to play with it for awhile. I'm considering geting one myself

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2004, 08:28 AM

iBook strip tease, enjoy

The box
"Designed by Apple in California"
Manual, cords
CDs, power adapter
Oooooh, what do we have here?
iBook closed
iBook opened
"Welcome"

The build of OS X 10.3.3 is 7g33. With the limited time I've played with it, I haven't noticed anything different from 7f44 on my Dual G4.

It's a beautiful thing. Of course, it's much more responsive than my previous iBook 600. I'm going to hate giving it up to my sis next week

biosphere
Apr 24, 2004, 08:42 AM

Thank you for the pics! But now my girlfriend wants one too... Might have to get her one for her birthday later this year.

And I must confess, I just love the fact that people keep taking pictures when they open their boxes from Apple. Now, have anyone seen pictures like this of a PC?

[Insert picture of brown box with "Dull" written on the side]

biosphere

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
It's a beautiful thing. Of course, it's much more responsive than my previous iBook 600. I'm going to hate giving it up to my sis next week
I really got to know if the spanning hack still works. I think if it doesn't nothing is wrecked, it just doesn't work. Are you gonna try it?

strepidus
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 04:13 PM

Wow, looking at those XBench numbers, seems like the iBook 1.067 is about 40% faster than my iBook 800...must be the added L2 cache at work. I'm so tempted to sell my iBook and upgrade now!

But I was wondering, for those of you who got your shiny new iBooks, does the left palm rest still make a clicking noise when you press down upon it? That's just about the only annoying flow I've found with my iBook...

nickday
Apr 24, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by strepidus:
Wow, looking at those XBench numbers, seems like the iBook 1.067 is about 40% faster than my iBook 800...must be the added L2 cache at work. I'm so tempted to sell my iBook and upgrade now!
I've only had my iBook G4 800 for almost 2 months so this is very annoying... the good thing is that Macs tend to keep their value fairly well so I wouldn't lose more than �50-�100 if I were to put it on eBay now. I'm going to try and stick with this machine for another 2 years or so though and meanwhile save up for a G5 - hey it might even be a G6 by that time! - and 23" Cinema Display

Nick

mrweirdo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by biosphere:
Thank you for the pics! But now my girlfriend wants one too... Might have to get her one for her birthday later this year.

And I must confess, I just love the fact that people keep taking pictures when they open their boxes from Apple. Now, have anyone seen pictures like this of a PC?

[Insert picture of brown box with "Dull" written on the side]

biosphere
lol true and they most often will have a big blue DELL logo on the box

Does gateway still use cow boxes I wonder? We still have some of those boxes arround from when we bought a few computers from them back in the P1 erra. Now at least that was something origonal.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 11:21 PM

AHA! I know it now!

I think Michael Dell had a secret ambition for Dell to become the next "Big Blue", sort of "take IBM's place as Big Blue" sorta thing...

It sounds SO right. Their logo is blue, they always use it in all caps, and they're obsessed with outclassing any other company in computer sales.
Aloha

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by CubeWannaB:
I really got to know if the spanning hack still works. I think if it doesn't nothing is wrecked, it just doesn't work. Are you gonna try it?
Sorry but I'm not even sure what you are talking about. I'm reluctant to do anything to it involving the word "hack", especially since I don't own it.

strepidus
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 08:50 AM

Well, it's not really a hack, just changing some settings in open firmware because the ATI radeon mobility allows you to run two monitors at once (and I don't mean mirroring mode where the second monitor's stuck at 1024x768), but Apple disabled it for the ibooks. I'm using this "hack" now, and it works just beautifully for hooking up my iBook to my 17" LCD. Here's a guide on how to do it.

My previous question still stands: do the new iBooks still click when pressing on the left palmrest?

BobVB
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 03:42 PM

My previous question still stands: do the new iBooks still click when pressing on the left palmrest?
Might not be getting an answer because it was a unit specific problem. I've never had that problem with my old iBook (but will be looking for it on my new one when it arrives just for you

strepidus
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by BobVB:
Might not be getting an answer because it was a unit specific problem. I've never had that problem with my old iBook (but will be looking for it on my new one when it arrives just for you
I highly doubt that it's unit-specific, considering it's been noted in just about every review of the iBook G4 800 that I've read, and I've found this problem on each of the 5 display models that I've tried at 2 different Apple stores.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 10:38 PM

There is a noise when I push down with some force and let go. This is only when I push down with more force than I normally apply when resting my hands on the palm rests. It seems to happen on both sides, not just the left side. It sounds like there is something sticky just on the other side of the case whereby pushing down hard enough puts it in contact with it.

Does that sound like the "clicking" noise you are talking about?

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 01:01 AM

The build of OS X 10.3.3 is 7g33. With the limited time I've played with it, I haven't noticed anything different from 7f44 on my Dual G4.
Could it be that the build on the iBook supports the clock frequency switching of the 7447A?

strepidus
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
Does that sound like the "clicking" noise you are talking about?
Thanks for the report. The issue with my iBook is definitely only on the left side, and it definitely happens even when I apply a normal amount of force on the left palm rest. And it sounds pretty much like a click on the trackpad button, but somewhat quieter. So from your description, it sounds like the new iBooks may no longer have the click problem.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
Could it be that the build on the iBook supports the clock frequency switching of the 7447A?
I am sorry, can you elaborate that one?

edit: never mind, you are talking about the power savings features. Lol.
( Last edited by sniffer; Apr 26, 2004 at 11:39 AM. )

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2004, 10:06 AM

"On FedEx vehicle for delivery" ...but I'm working at a different site today.

Maybe I can get someone there to pick my precioussssss....

gkrykewy
Apr 26, 2004, 10:48 AM

Just to confirm, I just received my new iBook, and when I do 'About this Mac', it says 1.07 GHZ. Nice little bonus!

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by gkrykewy:
Just to confirm, I just received my new iBook, and when I do 'About this Mac', it says 1.07 GHZ. Nice little bonus!
Sweet. My order is still open, daminit!

BobVB
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the report. The issue with my iBook is definitely only on the left side, and it definitely happens even when I apply a normal amount of force on the left palm rest. And it sounds pretty much like a click on the trackpad button, but somewhat quieter. So from your description, it sounds like the new iBooks may no longer have the click problem.
Mine just arrived and it doesn't have a click either even with significant force.

Oh and it is beautiful and fast too

BobVB
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 03:30 PM

Just applied the spanning hack and it works as advertised as does the clamshell mode option.

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 09:03 PM

my BTO 12'' with Airport/BT/60GB/Combo was ordered last Tues. Came today via Fedex.

So far so good: very snappy, small and light.

gkrykewy
Apr 27, 2004, 12:19 AM

Anyone that just received their new iBooks -- please have a look at my 'screen question' thread and check the screen saver/answer the question in like the second post from the bottom. Thanks!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2004, 12:27 AM

Got the iBook.

Very nice keyboard. Better than my TiBook's.

The screen viewing angle is not as good as my TiBook's, and it's not as bright either, but it does seem to have a more accurate white I think (although I got my TiBook in 2002 so it may have faded a bit).

No clicking when pressing down on the palm rests, with considerable force.

No dark corners.

256 MB is a really nice bonus vs. the older models. It's definitely useable with 256 MB. I'll add another 256 later, but it should last for the time being. 128 MB OTOH would have been painful.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by BobVB:
Just applied the spanning hack and it works as advertised as does the clamshell mode option.
That's pretty nice. Thanks. That'll raise the value on the new iBooks with atleast 20% in my eyes.

hooverzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 07:54 AM

I don't wanna hijack the tread but would a 12" ibook with 512mb of addded ram be enough as a primary computer ? Currently I do light java and hopefully (if mono can be released for OS 10) c# development and of course I use Safari and the rest of the usual stuff.
( Last edited by hooverzilla; Apr 27, 2004 at 08:22 AM. )

wschultz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 10:24 AM

laxthxdude - thats the exact bto combination i just submitted an order for glad to hear you got it so quickly. hopefully mine will be along quickly.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by hooverzilla:
I don't wanna hijack the tread but would a 12" ibook with 512mb of addded ram be enough as a primary computer ? Currently I do light java and hopefully (if mono can be released for OS 10) c# development and of course I use Safari and the rest of the usual stuff.
No problems at all. I've done and intend to do some of the same stuff you are mention there on my machine. Currently I own a iBook 600 G3. The only drawback is when you spend many hours on your machine, a good monitor is needed. The build in isn't good enough in the long run. Adding the spanning hack, and a good crt with a keyboard and you are more than good to go. Personally I'll buy a PB 12", but that is not because the iBook isn't sufficent for the school work I intend to use it for. Good luck with your decision.

gioele
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 05:02 AM

The only drawback is when you spend many hours on your machine, a good monitor is needed. The build in isn't good enough in the long run.
Is the PB 12" monitor better than the iBook 12" one?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by gioele:
Is the PB 12" monitor better than the iBook 12" one?
No it's the same, but for a student learning to program, 12 hours days in front of the screen isn't unusual. Hooking it up to an external monitor helps dramaticly to reduce stress on your eyes. Thought for the iBook you'll need to add the spanning hack to pump up the refresh rate on the external.

Forum Links
Forum Rules