Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What's the deal with "DVD Drive" on my G4?

What's the deal with "DVD Drive" on my G4?
dockpipe
Jun 17, 2004, 02:01 AM

i have this G4:

i do not have an ability to play a dvd...
first question is... is that what the bottom chassis is? is that where i'd hook up dvd drive?

second question... can i hook up a scsi cd rom drive in that chassis?

i have akai mpc sampler and need a "scsi" device to transport sounds back and forth...
thanks. DP

jamerican
Jun 17, 2004, 10:48 AM

The picture looks like a Quicksilver G4. If it is a 733mhz machine, it does not have a DVD drive. If it is an 867mhz machine, it should have a Superdrive. Check the Apple System Profiler/Hardware to see what is on the machine. Hope this helps.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 09:32 AM

If you want to message me with your serial number, I can also tell you what came with your machine.

For some reason, there aren't many QuickSilvers out there, so I haven't been inside enough to recall... somewhere between the Digital Audio machines and the Mirror Drive Doors, apple went from having a 3.25" secondary drive bay to a 5.25" drive bay. In the MDD machines, you can put two optical drives. In the Digital Audio machines, you can't. I believe in the Quick Silvers, you can't. You could open the machine and look.

Also, if the optical drive you have isn't doing what you need, get a new one. Check http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for drive compatibility.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 07:19 PM

The quicksilver chassis has only one 5.25" bay and it's already filled. The lower bay is 3.5" for a zip drive (though you can get a hard disk in there).

There are two ways to get a DVD drive in (or at least, connected to) this machine.
1. Replace the current cd-rom (combo drive?) with a DVD-ROM (or a Superdrive).

or

2. Go External. Firewire or SCSI (you could also replace the internal drive with a SCSI DVD-ROM/Superdrive)

SCSI: If you don't already have a SCSI card, you will need to get one if you are going to try and connect any SCSI devices. Internally or externally.

Forum Links
Forum Rules