Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The number pad on my keyboard causes meltdowns!!!

The number pad on my keyboard causes meltdowns!!!
dockpipe
Jun 17, 2004, 11:16 PM

Ever since i've had this computer..... pressing any number on the numberpad while using Explorer, stickies and i'm sure many countless other programs causes my Mac G4 Quicksilver to FREEZE!
Why didn't i take care of this when i first got the macine... i don't know.
i did call mac connection and they sent me a new keyboard which i thought might've been the problem but.... that wasn't it.

almost 2 years later.... i'm still *$@KeD!!!!

what can it be?

thanks. DP.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 18, 2004, 12:56 AM

You have not told us what OS version you are using. I'll assume 10.2.8 for this reply, instructions for 10.0, 10.1 or 10.3 should be virtually identical. OS 9 instructions are slightly different.

Open System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Mouse tab.

See if "Mouse Keys" has been turned on, that allows the numeric keypad to move the mouse pointer around. Next, try the Keyboard tab, see if Sticky Keys is on. This could simulate an input freeze while your system waits for the next modifier key to be pressed.

Also try System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Access.

See if "Full Keyboard Access" has been turned on, this can cause some keys to get assigned new functions.

dockpipe  (op)
Jun 19, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
You have not told us what OS version you are using. I'll assume 10.2.8 for this reply, instructions for 10.0, 10.1 or 10.3 should be virtually identical. OS 9 instructions are slightly different.

Open System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Mouse tab.

See if "Mouse Keys" has been turned on, that allows the numeric keypad to move the mouse pointer around. Next, try the Keyboard tab, see if Sticky Keys is on. This could simulate an input freeze while your system waits for the next modifier key to be pressed.

Also try System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Access.

See if "Full Keyboard Access" has been turned on, this can cause some keys to get assigned new functions.
you're right. i do have 10.2.8
and i did try everything you said but no luck.... number pad still doesn't work.
so what could it be?
keyboard? i don't think so cuz i've tried two so far.
OS? should i upgrade to Panther?
What can Apple or Mac Connection do for me?

dockpipe  (op)
Jun 19, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by dockpipe:
you're right. i do have 10.2.8
and i did try everything you said but no luck.... number pad still doesn't work.
so what could it be?
keyboard? i don't think so cuz i've tried two so far.
OS? should i upgrade to Panther?
What can Apple or Mac Connection do for me?
so here's something amazing!

ever since i turned sticky keys on ... whenever i hit shift a weird arrow shows up on the right hand side of the screen making windows collapse super slo-mo like.
so i had to turn sticky keys off.
but now i guess i'm stuck. it seems like i'll never be able to use my number pad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules