Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Using an iPod to transfer files from PC to Mac...

Using an iPod to transfer files from PC to Mac...
Sudogenic
Sep 7, 2004, 09:06 PM

When you first install an iPod with your Mac or PC, does it format the hard drive to that specific device, or can you move them from PC to Mac?

I've got a lot of files that I'd like to transfer, and my ethernet card isn't installed in my PC right now.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 09:18 PM

i might be wrong on the details here, but the harddrives are formatted 2 different ways, so the pc wouldnt be able to read the data off the mac one. and vice versa.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 12:21 AM

iPods come from the factory formatted for Mac. At this point they are immediately readable by Macs.

The first time you plug a Mac iPod into a PC, you are informed that "this disk is not readable by this computer. Do you want to format it?"

No, you don't.

Download the most recent iPod installer for PC from Apple or use the disc that came with your iPod. When you run it your iPod will be formatted for PC, at which point you can use the iPod with your PC.

And you can always use a PC formatted iPod with a Mac.

So if you want to use an iPod on BOTH Mac and PC you need to format it for PC. There should be little difference in performance between a PC formatted iPod and a Mac formatted iPod when used on the Mac. So if you plan on using your iPod with a PC you should format it for PC before transferring your songs.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 05:40 AM

BAH! he's wondering if you can TRANSFER files with the ipod between mac and pc .. not listen to songs ... as in .. can it be used as a external harddrive to ferry files back and forth between pc and mac..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Sudogenic  (op)
Sep 8, 2004, 08:28 AM

Lancer409 - Yes, that is what I'm asking. Can that be done?

pagluy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 09:42 AM

yes it can but only if your ipod is formatted for PC. your mac can read your PC ipod so you are all set.

Forum Links
Forum Rules