Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3RD PARTY RAM DEAL? To good to be true?

3RD PARTY RAM DEAL? To good to be true?
bmmp
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 04:05 AM

According to DealRam.com, Omni Technologies has the cheapest Powerbook RAM I've ever seen. At $163.99 for 1GB, that's less than half of Crucial's or Apple's price. I think I might buy 2, but the site looks like it was done by a 12 year old.

http://dealram.com/prices/systems/23073/1GB.html

Has anyone bought from them before? Is everyone pleased with their 3rd Party RAM?

http://www.macprices.com/ram.shtml

These Omni Guys also blow all of Macprices.com (Crucial, Edge, Kingston) RAM prices out of the water as well.

flyhigh37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 01:32 AM

I've stumbled across Omni Technologies RAM as well, and am very tempted...

http://www.omnitechnologies.biz/cgi-...&cat=2&catstr=

Does anyone have any experience with this company? $89 for 1 gig seems too good to be true.

thanks.

Chito
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bmmp
According to DealRam.com, Omni Technologies has the cheapest Powerbook RAM I've ever seen. At $163.99 for 1GB, that's less than half of Crucial's or Apple's price. I think I might buy 2, but the site looks like it was done by a 12 year old.

http://dealram.com/prices/systems/23073/1GB.html

Has anyone bought from them before? Is everyone pleased with their 3rd Party RAM?

http://www.macprices.com/ram.shtml

These Omni Guys also blow all of Macprices.com (Crucial, Edge, Kingston) RAM prices out of the water as well.
I just received two 1 GB sticks of Crucial ram from Newegg.com yesterday. Cost me $93.00 each. Unfortunately the day before they got here my lower slot went belly up. So I'm off to the Apple store tonight to drop my book off for repair and then I'll install them.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2006, 09:40 AM

Purchased my 1 GB stick for $130 from OWC. There are plenty of other vendors selling in this price range, too (like newegg). Shop around.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 10:37 AM

now where are the 2gig sticks! thats my question i want to run 4 gigs in my MBP

BikerJonTN
Apr 28, 2006, 01:38 PM

I purchased 2x1GB DDR2-667 from OmniTechnologies.biz about a month ago. I paid $89 per stick for a total of ~$190 after shipping.

The company seems to be a smaller business, perhaps a distributor of sorts. I dealt with them many times on the phone due to my insecurities about their business being legitimate.

Of the first two sticks to arrive, both were Samsung branded memory and one stick was dead. I called for an RMA and after sending back the bad stick, I received a non-Samsung memory stick. Although the new stick functioned, it caused my memory to run at 533MHz. I called Omni Technologies back and they issued another RMA and I specified that I needed Samsung memory to match my other stick. They were helpful and issued me the final stick, which I am using with my first stick for 2GB @ 667MHz in my 20" iMac.

If you don't mind waiting for relatively slow shipping, and not having the luxury of advance replacement of parts, then I do recommend Omni Technologies as their prices seem to be very competitive (although the prices have increased a good bit since I purchased). Their customer service doesn't wait on you hand and foot, but they staff their telephone number for at least 12 hours each day, and will answer questions about the status of your order.

Edit: Thought I'd mention I have 512MB DDR2-667 Apple RAM for sale for $50+shipping.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
now where are the 2gig sticks! thats my question i want to run 4 gigs in my MBP
At Crucial.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 05:02 PM

mduell, you are the best person....ever!! now i just have to save up for the sticks!

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 11:14 PM

I paid the canadian equivalent of about USD$94 for a 1Gig stick.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 01:17 AM

I bought mine from MacSolutions. I got my 1GB for $99. It's $82 now!!

http://www.macsolutions.com/1gbdd66somem.html
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2006, 01:24 AM

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2006, 04:27 AM

This thread was started over 1 YEAR ago, and "flyhigh37" decided to resurrect it.

Why I'll never know.

garbanzito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 09:44 AM

dealram no longer lists memory from Omni Technologies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules