Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > .nib Mods

.nib Mods
MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 02:22 PM

Because it is explained in two different threads how change Safari from Brushed Metal to the new unified title (or whatever it is called) I didn�t know where to post this so I thought I could open a new thread about .nib changes.

If you found anything that is easily changeable and useful with the .nib files post it here.

I just found out that in Tiger you normally can�t hide the stupid google bar. But if you open the ToolbarItems.nib inside Safari.app you can delete the google bar

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MetalSnake
Because it is explained in two different threads how change Safari from Brushed Metal to the new unified title (or whatever it is called) I didn�t know where to post this so I thought I could open a new thread about .nib changes.

If you found anything that is easily changeable and useful with the .nib files post it here.

I just found out that in Tiger you normally can�t hide the stupid google bar. But if you open the ToolbarItems.nib inside Safari.app you can delete the google bar

you dont LIKE the google bar?? no offense, i just thought it was a great idea (very convenient) and hadnt thought outside my world enough to ponder the possibility of anyone disliking it. it's not like it's in the way of anything, so i just never contemplated it i guess : )

MetalSnake  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by themarvelous3
you dont LIKE the google bar?? no offense, i just thought it was a great idea (very convenient) and hadnt thought outside my world enough to ponder the possibility of anyone disliking it. it's not like it's in the way of anything, so i just never contemplated it i guess : )
Well if I could change the search engine (for example to german google) maybe I would try to use it. But it�s in the way of something: the url bar. Now I have more space to see long urls again

coldforge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 08:35 PM

you can use acidsearch to easily change the search engine.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 08:39 PM

acidsearch is ****ed. that is what crashed safari on launch that piece of crap.

i modded smultron to unified but i can't find where to mod transmit to unified...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 08:47 PM

transmit is the only app i have not been able to unify. well out of the ones i have tried. i _think_ the .nib that needs to be edited is the ftpdocument.nib, but when i try open that it comes up with a palette missing error (which i assume you are getting).

maybe an email to panic asking them to unify it. or someone figure out the .nib error.

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 03:46 AM

Few GUI tips here www.vk4dx.net/mac/

bwil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 09:53 AM

I like using Interface Builder to remove the silly little "Feeling Tip-sy?" button from the offical Bittorrent client.

cuidado
May 9, 2005, 07:48 PM

damn, i cant open the .nib in safari.app. its just a folder, and not a prog i can double-click. am i missing something? do i need Xcode?

Zoidberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 09:15 PM

Yes, you need to install the XCode Developer tools. From this you will be using interface builder to edit the nib files. Be warned though, a slip up can render the app unusable, so always keep a backup. On the lighter side though, for cosmetic changes Interface Builder is pretty easy to use, I've used it myself to alter my login panel on both 10.3 and now 10.4 to fit my theme fun stuff.

-Zoidberg

cuidado
May 9, 2005, 10:43 PM

cheers for help!

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2005, 06:12 AM

i've also done the Safari .nib mod, as well as doing the download window to remove the metal.

you can also use Interface Builder to remove the stupid "Feeling Tip-sy" button from BitTorrent - as has already been mentioned. but while you're in there why not remove the metal texture as well. looks good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules