Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Build to Order

Build to Order
Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2005, 05:05 PM

I just ordered a PM 2.0 Ghz from Apple.com and was wondering how much longer their bto options add to the process.

Thanks,

Paul
( Last edited by Meadowfield; Jun 21, 2005 at 05:18 PM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 05:18 PM

Asking for gold plating of the case, the complimentary wombat hide mouse and the
additional flux capacitor (for cooling, natch) adds about two months to the ship time
since they need to track down a wombat.

Meadowfield  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2005, 05:20 PM

And if one thought these additions were too much and just wanted some extra ram and blue tooth?

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 08:31 PM

I don't know how much time the bluetooth module would add to the processing time, but I do know that you are better off buying ram somewhere else. Apple sells quality RAM, but at a silly price. My favorite source for RAM is: Datamem , not only are their prices good, but they have great customer service. They actually answer their phone... no automated menu system!!!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 09:39 PM

I used to buy from DMS (datamem.com), but one of their modules failed in my iBook after two years. I now only buy name brand components, especially since the price premium for them has declined significantly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 03:56 AM

It all depends on where it's coming from and what your BTO options are I guess. It could be anywhere between just a couple of days to 2-3 weeks. I had to wait 4 weeks for my BTO Dual 2.0...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Meadowfield  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by d.fine
It all depends on where it's coming from and what your BTO options are I guess. It could be anywhere between just a couple of days to 2-3 weeks. I had to wait 4 weeks for my BTO Dual 2.0...
Thanks d.fine. I certainly hope it doesn't take that long! I'll post back when mine ships...

matt_cecil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2005, 09:06 AM

I ordered a BTO dual 2.0 two weeks ago. I added bluetooth, upgraded the video card, added a bigger hard drive, wireless keyboard and mouse. Ordered on a Friday and it shipped the next Monday.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meadowfield
Thanks d.fine. I certainly hope it doesn't take that long! I'll post back when mine ships...
It shouldn't take that long. I ordered mine when the RevB G5's came out. Mine happens to have 90nm CPU's, and I had some BTO's as well. Maybe the combination of all these saw to it that mine took so long to get here. From what I read here the G5's ship pretty fast, they have plenty in stock.

Let us know when you get it, and post some pics

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2005, 09:49 AM

Just for those who don't know. Bluetooth and the modem modules are now CTO options available at the retial stores. I beleive the Bluetooth module is $50 and the modem is $35 not including $30 or so for installation. This program only started around the middle of May to the end of June. I would guess that some stores may not have the parts in inventory yet but should very soon.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I used to buy from DMS (datamem.com), but one of their modules failed in my iBook after two years. I now only buy name brand components, especially since the price premium for them has declined significantly.
I'm surprised they didn't offer to replace it. They do have really good customer service.

Meadowfield  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by southtdi
Just for those who don't know. Bluetooth and the modem modules are now CTO options available at the retial stores. I beleive the Bluetooth module is $50 and the modem is $35 not including $30 or so for installation. This program only started around the middle of May to the end of June. I would guess that some stores may not have the parts in inventory yet but should very soon.
Thanks, southtdi. It's been three days now and I am beginning to wonder if I should have taken this route. Out of curiosity I called Apple last night and was without any prompting offered a courtesy 2 Day shipping upgrade. After thinking about this I thought this was rather strange. After all, it had only been one day post the standard models' one day shipping estimate. They did not want to loose the sale. Here's to hoping for a price reduction announcement before they find the ram stick that doesn't fail their hardware test

Meadowfield  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2005, 01:24 PM

It is on its way! I received the notice this morning and I couldn't be more thrilled, but it included the usual Apple tracking disclaimer:

"For orders shipped Monday through Thursday tracking information will
be available on the carrier sites 12 to 24 hours after shipping.
For orders shipped Friday through Sunday tracking information will be
available on the carrier sites by the following Monday evening."

I never could figure out why one couldn't get an immediate track on Apple ware. I mean, FedEx scan is recognized almost immediately in the private sector. In the past I've suspected that "shipped" really meant "Ready to be picked up" but have on occasion been pleasantly surprised by early deliveries. I recall my SE Graphite iMac 400 arrived before hit hit the tracking system. I should be so lucky this time. Whatever happens, rest assured there'll soon be a price reduction or a model revamp announcement within a few days. Never fails. You watch.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by lexhair
I'm surprised they didn't offer to replace it. They do have really good customer service.
Oh they did replace it, and the replacement module is running just fine. But module failures so long after primary installation are very uncommon, and that convinced me to only go name brand.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Oh they did replace it, and the replacement module is running just fine. But module failures so long after primary installation are very uncommon, and that convinced me to only go name brand.
Thanks for clarifying that. Haven't bought from DataMem in a while so I thought maybe something changed drastically over there.

gudrummer
Jun 24, 2005, 05:24 PM

I bought my ram from OWC and i have no regrets.Bought 2 gigs (Samsung) for 250 bucks and i'll buy 2 gigs more soon.About the bluetooth,when i was told that i could install it later i decided to buy my mac at the applestore and have it installed later;don't need it now.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

Meadowfield  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 06:53 AM

She came yesterday afternoon - seven days after ordering with about 4 of them in FedEx's hands for 2 day service. Go figure.

So far so good; No squeaks, rattles or crashes - although there's no denying it has some serious air pushing fan power!

I'll post a pic when I get a moment.

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules