Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > I need a Complete Font Organizer!

I need a Complete Font Organizer!
bmmp
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2005, 04:55 AM

Ok I'm amazed I can't find a program that can do this.

I need a OSX font organizer that can display and delete fonts from my system. I have unfortunately accumulated close to 5000 fonts in my designer career and I want to get rid of all the crappy ones that I'll never use.

I have Suitcase X1, but its terrible for this. If I find a font I want to trash in X1, I have to Command-R to show it in the Finder, drag the Folder/Font to the Trash, then Remove the Font from Suitcase. This is too many steps for something so simple as organizing your fonts.

skalie
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 06:03 AM

I know this isn't what you asked for, but isn't that the sort of thing you could automate in Tiger?

bmmp  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2005, 08:49 AM

not a bad idea, but I just checked and as far as I can tell, you can't automate suitcase X1. Now I hear that suitcase is applescriptable, however, I dont see an applescript menu anywhere in the interface, thus, I would have to create an executable applescript that runs from the Finder, which might make it easier, but still painful to do several hundred times.

I know a lot of people must have this problem, but instead we are forced to leave the fonts on our computers and just delete it from our font management software. If I dont wan't a font, I want the option to completely trash it from my font management/viewer software.

It's crazy I havn't found a program that can do this yet.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 12:34 AM

Font Agent Pro.

Best Font client for Mac OS X hands down, you will need to add all your fonts to a new library but once you do you can go through them and delete to trash right from the app.

Also has all the standard features of a font agent, auto-open, close, etc. wysiwyg viewing is great but the first time you use the program it is slow as it caches all the data after that it flies!

I believe there is a 30 day demo available online (check versiontracker.com) we replaced our suitcase clients with FAP 3.0 and never looked back!

bmmp  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2005, 08:43 AM

is it me or does Font Agent run real slow?
It takes can take up to 7 seconds to display a random font and I have the fastest powerbook currently available (1.67 mhz, 2 gigs of RAM, 128MB graphics, Tiger). I have my problems with X1, but the font display on it is instant.

Also, I cant get Font Agent Pro to do what I started this thread for. I can't get it to delete fonts from my mac. What's weird is that when I click Delete, a dialogue box pops up and even states that it will be removed from my hard disk, but when go back to the finder, the font still remains.

Forum Links
Forum Rules