Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > does my g4 have a usb 2.0 port? (ipod related)

does my g4 have a usb 2.0 port? (ipod related)
dockpipe
Dec 26, 2005, 06:07 PM

i own a mac g4 (800 mhz 40 gb) and just bought a video ipod...
manual says i need a usb 2.0 port... i can't figure this one out...
thanks to all and happy new year!

dockpipe  (op)
Dec 26, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by dockpipe

sorry everyone.. i just realized i do in fact have 1.1 port... so now the dreaded question of buying usb 2.0 card.... any recommendations?
thanks again.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dockpipe
You don't have USB 2.0 ports. However, the iPod will still work with your regular USB ports, it will just take a very long time to transfer your songs and videos. But once you've synced the iPod to your iTunes Library once, subsequent syncs should go much quicker.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

dockpipe  (op)
Dec 26, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
You don't have USB 2.0 ports. However, the iPod will still work with your regular USB ports, it will just take a very long time to transfer your songs and videos. But once you've synced the iPod to your iTunes Library once, subsequent syncs should go much quicker.
thanks space monkey.... i'm thinking i may as well get a 2.0 usb card... they seem to be the best way to go....
thanks.
d. pipe

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2005, 06:33 PM

How did you figure out that your USB was only a 1.1?
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2005, 08:45 PM

I can't make any recommendations for USB2 cards, but I can say do your homework. I've heard a lot of reports with PCI cards causing problems with power management.

As a sidenote, with USB1.1 you can estimate about 2.5GB per hour for transfers; it's not fun, but it will work.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 27, 2005, 12:01 AM

As for recommendations, the only USB/FW cards that I haven't had problems with have been SIIGs and Belkins.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2005, 01:33 AM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by MacOS-Fan
How did you figure out that your USB was only a 1.1?
That Power Mac model was released way before to the first Macs getting USB2, well, you can check your USB bus spped inside System Profiler, yours would be like this (Up to 12 MB/s, that is USB1.1)

The card aforementioned in that linked topic seems to work great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815104306

I am waiting to get an ASUS PCI USB2 card since I couldn't find the IOGEAR model here in Europe. Some guy told me that ASUS card works great, once I get it I will post about it.

dave49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 08:29 PM

This Buslink card contains the NEC USB 2.0 chipset, the same as Adaptec USBConnect2 cards, and Buslink tech support confirms that it works in a Mac.

http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/Co...20Retail%20Box

Mac128guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 03:31 PM

I bought a IOGear GIC 251U USB 2.0 PCI card for my G4 933 2002 QuickSilver which did not have UBS 2.0 built in on motherboard.

The card works perfectly for everything I connected to it (ipods 4th & 5th gen) HP 7660 PhotoSmart printer, etc. BUT there is a SLEEP/WAKE issue with most(all?) older Macs without built in USB 2.0.

If ANYTHING remains connected to the USB 2.0 IOGear card, it will not SLEEP /WAKE correctly. With nothing connected to the card, my G4 QuickSIlver will SLEEP/ WAKE correctly. What does happen (iPods ejected or mounted but still connected) with USB devices connected, displays blanks, fans still run and Mac won't WAKE & a required FORCED REBOOT is only way out.

I can use the card to sync the 5th gen iPod Video I bought for my daughter with the G4 QuickSilver but just can't leave it connected before attemtping SLEEP.

Examine XLR8yourmac.com for such reports. Although some have some success with a limited few combinations of USB devices & USB 2.0 cards (and all those may be on newer macs with USB 2.0 built in) most by far share the same experience as mine, SLEEP/WAKE problem.

A few scattered reports on USENET & MacNN Forums suggest a Belkin USB 2.0 card may successfully SLEEP but not clear if it really works with a G4 like mine. There are no such reports on XLR8yourmac.com.

I am keeping the card to sync the iPod Video which requires USB 2.0. Just can't SLEEP it while iPod is connected.
Good Luck

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I am waiting to get an ASUS PCI USB2 card since I couldn't find the IOGEAR model here in Europe. Some guy told me that ASUS card works great, once I get it I will post about it.
Well, the card I got was just an USB 1.1 card, so I sent it back to the seller… time to look for some USB2 PCI card on Europe.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mac128guy

I am keeping the card to sync the iPod Video which requires USB 2.0. Just can't SLEEP it while iPod is connected.
Good Luck

That's odd. I have two of the cards, bought 13 months apart so they are not of the same production run, in two towers with no such problems. One is a Sawtooth running Tiger and the other is a B&W running X.3.9. Both towers are much older than your 2002 Quicksilver.

The Sawtooth has uptimes of weeks and sleeps every night without a crash or freeze. At any given time there is an iPod shuffle, Video iPod, or canon powershot plugged in at night. And a macally trackball is there permanently. The B&W has a 2.5 external drive plugged in sometime at night and a generic optical mouse and no problems from the USB card.

The xlr8 reports I read back over a year ago gave accounts of an occasional scanner or random device causing problems but the majority of other USB 2 items caused no such problems with the IOGear card.

Gir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 12:09 PM

A belkin card should work fine, and you shouldn't have sleep issues with it.

I had a 4 port belkin USB 2.0 card in my digital audio G4 for a couple months with my UPS and mouse connected to it and it worked fine. No issues whatsoever.
desktop: MDD 2x867/2gb/200gb
fiancee's lapper: 1.7 PM/8x Dual Layer/60gb/640MB/winders :(

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 02:59 PM

OK, update, I got today a PCI USB2 card, it has six ports, four external plus two internal. The brand is 'Mentor', never heard about them, but the box says Mac OS X is supported. It comes with a cd-rom containing Mac OS X drivers, but I didn't need them. Just plug and play and it is working fine with Mac OS X 10.4.4. I tested it with a G4 MDD and a B&W G3, (both lacking USB2 ports from factory). To transfer files from / to the iPod is now a snap!.

Forum Links
Forum Rules