Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Moniter

External Moniter
Trouters
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2006, 02:16 AM

So this is my first mac. I enjoy it very much, it's so slim and cool looking. However I would like to get an external moniter for it one day but I don't know what type of connector I need. So my question is can you use the older moniters that use the cords that have all the power and video in one? Anyway if this question has already been brought up I couldn't find it. If you coudl point me in that direction...
Thanks for your help.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2006, 02:20 AM

"All the power and video in one?" I have no idea what that is. Your iBook should have come with a VGA adapter; you can use any VGA-capable monitor, which is practically all of them (except for newer LCD monitors which might only have DVI).

juusan
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2006, 03:03 PM

did it come with one of these? that's what you need.

also keep in mind that your resolution will be throttled... meaning that regardless of what sized monitor you're using, your resolution will still have a cap.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2006, 04:58 PM

The "power and video in one" sounds like ADC, the connector Apple used to use for their displays; the iMac does not have a port for that, and an adapter would run you $300.

You need any CRT or an LCD with a VGA port. If you're going to get an LCD, I suggest Dell (all of their LCDs have VGA).

Trouters  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 12:11 AM

Thanks you mduell that is exactly what I was wondering about. The ADC cable, the one that has everything in one, thanks now I now. So a dell is the way to go eh? Cool that helps. I wanted to get a slightly older Apple moniter but the ones I've been looking at have ADC cables. Thanks again for your help everyone.

e-dard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 08:22 PM

Hey, i run a 19" Acer widescreen (1440 *900) which is £180 new.. It's a great monitor!

VGA too..

edd

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Trouters
Thanks you mduell that is exactly what I was wondering about. The ADC cable, the one that has everything in one, thanks now I now. So a dell is the way to go eh? Cool that helps. I wanted to get a slightly older Apple moniter but the ones I've been looking at have ADC cables. Thanks again for your help everyone.
Dell's new 20" and 24" HD LCDs are probably priced about the same as used Apple displays ($400 and $800, respectively, with the usual discounts); the 20" uses the same panel that Apple uses, and many MacNN'ers have the 24" HD.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 10:13 AM

We use all Dell monitors in our offices on all our Macs. They look wonderful. I've got the new 20" on my desk.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 12:01 AM

I also have the Acer 19" widescreen LCD and highly recommend it if you don't want to fork out the big bucks for the Dell 20" or 24". The model number is AL1916W

Don't forget whatever LCD you get other than a 15" will have a higher resolution than the iBook's set 1024x768 so you'll need to install the screen spanning patch to get access to all the resolutions the iBook's ATI 9200 video card is capable:
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Forum Links
Forum Rules