Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DVD Player to TV

DVD Player to TV
joeswell
Dec 7, 2001, 10:53 AM

I have a Power G3 (Pismo) with DVD-ROM Drive. I want to play DVD Movies on my TV. I can watch the DVD Movies fine on my computer's screen, but if I try to connect the SVHS Output to my TV, the DVD Player won't even open. I get an error message that says "Apple DVD Player does not support the video card or settings on the main screeen" and quits. Is this a bug? Have I not properly set up the computer? How can make this work?
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Hack3006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2001, 02:19 PM

have you recently updated your OS? Also what version of DVD player are you running? I received the same error when i updated to 9.2.1. I was able to remedy the problem by updating my DVD player to version 2.7 (available from apples download page).
My toys:
iMac DV G3 400mhz, 1 Gig Ram, 10 Gig Hard drive, 60 Gig external firewire,
USB Iomega cd R/W, USB Iomega ZIP 100, Epson 777

Dual 1 GHz G4 512 RAM, Super Drive, 22 inch studio display, CTX 17 inch monitor,
80 GB, 100 GB, 250 GB hard drives,
Sony VX2000
Epson 2400 Scanner

Hack3006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2001, 02:21 PM

have you recently updated your OS? Also what version of DVD player are you running? I received the same error when i updated to 9.2.1. I was able to remedy the problem by updating my DVD player to version 2.7 (available from apples download page).
My toys:
iMac DV G3 400mhz, 1 Gig Ram, 10 Gig Hard drive, 60 Gig external firewire,
USB Iomega cd R/W, USB Iomega ZIP 100, Epson 777

Dual 1 GHz G4 512 RAM, Super Drive, 22 inch studio display, CTX 17 inch monitor,
80 GB, 100 GB, 250 GB hard drives,
Sony VX2000
Epson 2400 Scanner

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 06:58 PM

I think this is DVD Player's way of saying "I ain't got enough VRAM for that". Try knocking the external monitor down to thousands of colors and see what you get.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

joeswell  (op)
Dec 7, 2001, 07:30 PM

I'm a complete schmuck! I'm sorry I wasted anyone's time with my dumb question.
I figured out what I was doing wrong. Apple DVD player only works with Video mirroring turned off. I wasn't aware of how to set up my Powerbook to work with my TV or my Video Projector. This was the first time I tried to do this. All I had to do was open the moniotrs control panel. I thought video mirroring had to turned on. I found the answer on Apple's web site under DVD players.
Once I had the settings correct, everything was fine... even easy.
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Forum Links
Forum Rules