Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning the MB screen!

Cleaning the MB screen!
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 01:21 AM

While the MacBook's glossy screen is way better than the glossy screen on my Fujitsu P7120... it's a horror to clean. Everything seems to leave a residue. My old faithful LCD/casing cleaning product, Quartet CleanErase (does wonders on everything and is 100% non-abrasive, no ammonia, etc), leave a residue. Even water leaves a bit of a residue! Seems like the only thing that reliably gets this residue off and manages to clean the screen is the cloth that came with the iMac G4s!

Obviously I haven't tried everything (thinking about getting some iKlear) - so, what have people been using to keep their MacBook's screen shiny?
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

marissa
May 28, 2006, 02:25 AM

I've watched a friend of mine use iKlear on his and it looks really good afterwards. No residue or anything so that'd be my suggestion.
macbook.

cjflann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 02:30 AM

Yoyo, so I purchased a black shaggymac screen protector to sit stealthily on my blackbook and it does a wonderful job of polishing the screen to be just a glossy as when I first unpacked the unit. Highly recommend.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 02:49 AM

Yep, the best thing I've found to use is the cloth that came with my Apple Cinema display.

[email protected]
May 28, 2006, 05:38 PM

Is the cloth that came with the Cinema Display as microfiber cloth? If so I have couple of the microfiber cloths for my guitars.

uicandrew
Senior User
May 28, 2006, 10:18 PM

i personally love the wal-mart brand eyeglass cleaner. it cleans the screen, and gets rid of the fingerprints on my al powerbook. the price is great, too. a small squirt bottle, microfiber lens cloth, and FREE REFILLS for $2-$3. i bought a bottle in 2001 and have refilled it about 4 or 5 times already.

one of my friends cleaned my laptop screen with iklear, since it was so highly regarded and it left marks on my screen (and his own laptop screen as well). i wiped it down afterwards with my walmart cleaner and the marks went away. given the high price of iklear, and the low price of my walmart cleaner, he wasn't happy and refused my offer to clean his screen with my walmart cleaner.

i'd rather give my money to walmart, who employs lots of people in my hometown, than to some small company that rips mac/ipod owners off because they can.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 10:21 PM

great tip. i will check that out.
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 10:41 AM

A damp soft cotton hand towel.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2006, 07:01 PM

So for my macbook I guess I will use the wal-mart cleaner rather than the iKlear since the wal-mart is cheaper and does a better job. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules