Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Disk Warrior Universal BInary??

Disk Warrior Universal BInary??
chotty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 04:40 PM

When is Alsoft going to update Disk Warrior for Intel Macs/ Universal?
It has been a LONG time, especially for the #1 mac Uility!
-My hunch is Apple is going to buy DW... what other reason can there be at this late stage for no Univeral Binary support? - Something smells fishy. Alsoft never takes this long.
www.alsoft.com website's News has not been updated in ages either.
The only thing "new" is the "21st Anniversary" on front page.

Very odd... what gives?

Chotty

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by chotty View Post
No one knows, since AFAIK Alsoft hasn't released any launch date yet.

-My hunch is Apple is going to buy DW... what other reason can there be at this late stage for no Univeral Binary support?
Um, because they're porting the thing to an entirely new platform and they want it to work? Because the entire reason DiskWarrior is the #1 Mac utility is because of its reliability, and you can't make a utility like this rock-solid reliable without a lot of testing? Because a utility of this sort can cause major problems if it's not rock-solid?

- Something smells fishy. Alsoft never takes this long.
They always take a while to support new OS X versions. This time, they have to support not only a new OS X version (Tiger on Intel isn't the same as Tiger on PPC, although they look the same), but a completely new hardware platform as well.

Patience.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 08:12 PM

Alsoft have a history of not releasing a new version until it actually works. They took ages until their DiskWarrior supported Tiger (version 3.0.3), but when it came out, it worked.

That's more than just about any other company can say about their products.

Also, apparently the reason their software is so good is that their core team actually used to work for Apple. I kind of doubt that they would return to the fold.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by chotty View Post
-My hunch is Apple is going to buy DW... what other reason can there be at this late stage for no Univeral Binary support? - Something smells fishy. Alsoft never takes this long.
Never takes this long? Umm... DiskWarrior for OS X took YEARS. I dunno where you got the idea that Alsoft keeps a quick release cycle. Alsoft is basically the last developer that doesn't release software before it's done, and I applaud that.

Besides, the big issue isn't making it a Universal Binary. The big issue is that Intel Macs use a different formatting scheme, so DiskWarrior's core function must be substantially changed to support both the original scheme AND the new one. This is no small task.

tooki

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2006, 06:14 AM

From Alsoft's site: (DiskWarrior Support & Updates)

"DiskWarrior will soon be released as a universal binary for compatibility with both Intel-based and PowerPC-based Macs. This page will be updated with additional details as they become available and an exact shipping date is announced."

I don't know the date that was first posted, but it seems that it has been there at least 45 days.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

ctj
Dec 7, 2006, 12:58 AM

You can buy DW 4.0 right now, and it's UB. Check out their site now.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2006, 03:11 PM

HOTNESS!

And it seems to add a lot of new functions, making it an uber-Disk Utility, including permissions repair and FileVault repairs.

I'm gonna order it right away.

tooki

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2006, 05:41 PM

Just ordered mine. I can't wait to try it. DiskWarrior is a "must have" utility.

bossep
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 02:45 PM

But what will happen when Leopard is released?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 02:46 PM

An angel will get its wings?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 05:38 PM

Probably nothing, since it's almost guaranteed that Alsoft has had a copy of Leopard to test on now.

And if it does need tweaking, Alsoft will probably do as it has done for years: offer point updates as a downloadable updater (it reads your current DW disc, updates it, and burns a new one), as well as offering $20 updated discs that have both the updated DW as well as updated boot OS on the disc.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules