Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading Macbook Pro HD

Upgrading Macbook Pro HD
gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2007, 11:17 PM

I think the answer is yes, but I want to be sure: Will upgrading my Macbook Pro's hard drive myself void my Applecare warranty?

Thanks,

dahcar
Mar 13, 2007, 04:15 PM

Yes, it voids your warranty. I wish it didn't. I've learned that when buying a laptop ALWAYS pay for the largest HDD.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 04:33 PM

RAM is all you are allowed to touch and not void the warranty. Don't even open up the case if you are really concerned.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 06:16 PM

This seems ambiguous: a Macworld article (Macworld: Secrets: Upgrade your laptop) from earlier this year states...

"This means that your warranty will still be valid if you install a new hard drive yourself—as long as you don’t damage anything."

Has somebody explicitly heard the contrary from AppleCare? Regardless, upgrading the MBP's hard drive isn't trivial.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007, 07:48 PM

I have used an Apple-certified technician to replace my hard drive on several Apple laptops, my Applecare was left intact.

of course, it was not the cheapest solution, either.

gametime10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2007, 10:30 PM

Very interesting.... it's written by the writer of the iFixit guides, so it has to be taken w/ a grain of salt.... but still...

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
This seems ambiguous: a Macworld article (Macworld: Secrets: Upgrade your laptop) from earlier this year states...

"This means that your warranty will still be valid if you install a new hard drive yourself—as long as you don’t damage anything."

Has somebody explicitly heard the contrary from AppleCare? Regardless, upgrading the MBP's hard drive isn't trivial.

dahcar
Mar 15, 2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post

I had a "genius" tell me to my face that it would void my warranty. But I guess a "genius" should also be taken with a grain of salt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules