Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook charger

macbook charger
skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2007, 10:18 PM

My macbook charger is starting to break where the cord meets the connector going into the macbook. Will Apple replace my charger under warranty, the Macbook was purchased in March 2007. If they will replace it can i just take it to the Apple store and get a new one? Do I have to show a reciept or something? I only have the box as this was a gift.
Macbook Pro 15" / C2D 2.2 / 2GB / 120GB
16 GB iPod touch

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 03:13 AM

Take the book with you, so that they can verify the serial number and treat you under warranty.

ewiser
Nov 10, 2007, 08:20 AM

They could not replace it as it could be to wear and tear.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 08:25 AM

That was my main concern. Will they replace it under warranty or will I need to just purchase one my self.
16 GB iPod touch

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 03:33 PM

I'm seeing a good amount of people complaining about this...I doubt this is a wear/tear issue, especially since the magsafe is new technology.

I just looked at mine and I've a crack also and this is definitely not a wear/tear issue. I've owned the thing less than 2 years and I've many other laptops that never had this issue.

I'll be taking the charger (and Macbook) to the local Apple store to have a 'genius' assess the issue.
:) unixfool :)
http://www.unixfool.com
_____
iMac 27" 3.06GHz C2D | White MB CD 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD | Graphite PMac G4 500MHzx2, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD | White iPhone 3G 16GB | Black iPhone 3GS 32GB

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 03:37 PM

Can somebody post a picture of the issue?

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 03:52 PM

not a picture of mine but it looks pretty close
16 GB iPod touch

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 03:53 PM

There are quite a few pics (and links to sites that have pics) on the macrumors forums.

Mine has a big crack right where it has come loose in that picture. There are no cracks anywhere else, even on the other end of the cord.

MagSafe 1G: Not so Safe... - Mac Forums
Hardmac.com : Le "Macbidouille" in English
( Last edited by unixfool; Nov 10, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added URL)
_____
iMac 27" 3.06GHz C2D | White MB CD 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD | Graphite PMac G4 500MHzx2, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD | White iPhone 3G 16GB | Black iPhone 3GS 32GB

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2007, 07:34 PM

Most likely you'll end up having to purchase a new one. It's often considered normal wear and tear rather than a warranty coverable issue.

BTW, always disconnect the mag-lock connector by flipping it up or down rather than pulling it straight out. Pulling it straight out takes too much force and will eventually break down the cord at the junction. Flipping it up or down generates far less stress on the cord/connector junction.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 07:48 PM

I asked for pictures becuase I believe that you could fix the cord with a piece of heat shrink tubing. At minimum it will allow you to get a few more months out of the cord. If the shrink wrap tubing is added before it is damaged it could also save the cord from ever becoming damaged.

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 10:24 PM

I don't think that 18 months of use before breakage constitutes wear/tear. Reading various forums, this appears to be something beyond wear/tear, as Apple appears to be replacing most (if not all) of these breakages.

BTW, always disconnect the mag-lock connector by flipping it up or down rather than pulling it straight out. Pulling it straight out takes too much force and will eventually break down the cord at the junction. Flipping it up or down generates far less stress on the cord/connector junction.
Is this in the manual (I'm checking now, but I don't remember reading such instructions before)?

EDIT:

Hrmm...the MacBook User's Guide states, on page 31, to pull the plug and not the cord. It says nothing of which direction it should be pulled.

Every single picture I see shows breakage or even melting at roughly the same area...right next to the connector or right next to the brick. It seems that some reinforcement is necessary from Apple. AppleCare should take care of it (and to be honest, that's what AppleCare is for).
( Last edited by unixfool; Nov 10, 2007 at 10:37 PM. )
_____

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 11:18 PM

Well you should always pull on the plug rather than the cord whether you are talking your vacume or mac. If you are pulling on the wire rather than the plug I would call this wear and tear also. The rubber inulation will always become damaged by pulling on the cord.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2007, 12:10 AM

Mine has just started to break, but I would like to purchase one now before it actually does. I think I might go insane if it were to break and I would end up having to wait a week to use my laptop again.
16 GB iPod touch

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Christopera View Post
Well you should always pull on the plug rather than the cord whether you are talking your vacume or mac. If you are pulling on the wire rather than the plug I would call this wear and tear also. The rubber inulation will always become damaged by pulling on the cord.
I think people know this in general but how many times does one actually remember this? While you may, many may not...all the more reason to just build the thing as robust as possible.

The reason I mentioned it was because I wanted to know what the manual actually said vs. what Guy Kuo said (which was wrong).

I really think that no matter if you pull the plug all the time, you're probably going to still have cracks in that area of the cord. Flex alone may generate the cracks. Put the laptop in your lap, plug the magsafe in, then take a look at the angle of the plug...if its not leaning to one side or the other, I'd be VERY surprised... If that's considered wear/tear, that's a rough definition, especially when some people are having issues with relatively new laptops. Apparently, there's also been a refresh of the magsafe design. Those that are asking for warranty support are getting replacements that are supposedly more rugged. Based on that info, it sounds like Apple knew there was an issue awhile ago.
_____

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by skacoreimplore View Post
Mine has just started to break, but I would like to purchase one now before it actually does. I think I might go insane if it were to break and I would end up having to wait a week to use my laptop again.
Christopera mentioned shrink wrap, which should work, but when it does finally break, you may have trouble with Apple in getting a replacement if they see that you'd heat shrunk the damage.
_____

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2007, 02:12 AM

Done carefully there should be no damage. It can easily be cut off with a utility knife when the time comes. I often wire looms and use shring wrap over plugs and other weak joints. When the time comes to replace sensors I almost always remove the shrink wrap and splice the sensor in at the old joint.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2007, 01:07 PM

Everyone:

Apple just replaced mine 100% free, no questions asked.

I got back from a long weekend yesterday, plugged in my macbook which was about dead and noticed the rip for the first time, and there was also smoke coming from it while it was charging. I unplugged it, but I needed the computer last night for a paper due this morning, so I didn't have time to call the 1-800 number for 3 hours.

I live 15 min away from an Apple store, so I grabbed the cord, hopped in my car and went there. I asked one of the guys just walking around (the geniuses were all very busy, as was the entire store...strange for a Monday afternoon) but I asked if it was still covered under warranty. He asked "well how old is your macbook" and I said "under a year" and he said "ok, well then it's under warranty." He told me it just depends if they have "the part," then went in the back for 10-15 minutes and came out with a new box. Cut open that box, put in my dead charger, gave me the brand new one. No asking my name, serial number, anything, just boom here you go. I don't know if they just did that to get me out of their hair since they were so busy, but I'm glad because I wouldn't have easily paid $80 for a charger that shouldn't be broken already.

Go to an Apple store with the charger! They should just swap it out for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules