Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New hard drive for a 3rd gen ipod?

New hard drive for a 3rd gen ipod?
King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2007, 09:44 PM

The hard drive in my 40GB 3rd generation ipod finally gave out. I would rather replace the hard drive in it than buy a new MP3 player. The old drive is a Toshiba MK4004GAH, but I would rather get a slightly larger drive if the price is right. Also, sticking with a 2 platter drive is a bit easier than switching to a 1 platter. The 60GB MK6008GAH looks good. Now I just need to know if the MK6008GAH will work in the 3rg gen ipods. It has to have the proper connector and the ipod has to accept it. Any ideas?
-King Rat

davedecay
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 03:36 PM

The MK6008GAH is a ZIF connector used by the video iPod, not the 1G-4G iPod.

A 60 GB iPod hard drive will run you over $100; you can buy a used 30 GB iPod video for $120, 60 GB iPod video for $160, 80 GB for $165. Do you really love the 3G form factor, or have lots of accessories?

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 05:50 PM

I have a 3G iPod...if the HD gave out on it, I'd toss it. My advice would be to buy a new one.

QS

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 09:58 PM

I found an MK6006GAH for $90. It should have the proper connector and a 1 year warranty.

There are a few reasons for sticking with 3rd gen. First, my quicksilver G4 (my primary computer) does not have USB 2, so I want firewire. Second, I prefer the all solid state buttons. Sure, I could switch to a newer model but there is not any real point. I want an ipod to play music, not be a TV, phone, camera, PDA, radio, slide show, laser pointer, or whatever else they come up with. The new features either don't matter or get in the way.

If you decide to toss a broken ipod (or ibook or powerbook) there is a good chance that I would take.
-King Rat

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2007, 09:12 AM

i know what you mean. last year i bought a couple of 60gb ipod photos off ebay because i wanted some extra firewire models. i may never buy another ipod but then i am 56 years old. a 3rd gen can also be used as a portable hard drive in os 9 which newer ones can't do. it's hard to toss something that cost $500 when new.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 09:31 AM

Related question: I have a 4G 40GB iPod. If I wanted to use it as an portable drive for files between a Windows PC and my Mac, would I have to use a Firewire or USB cable to connect, or doesn't it matter?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

CINDYSTAR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by King_Rat View Post
The hard drive in my 40GB 3rd generation ipod finally gave out. I would rather replace the hard drive in it than buy a new MP3 player. The old drive is a Toshiba MK4004GAH, but I would rather get a slightly larger drive if the price is right. Also, sticking with a 2 platter drive is a bit easier than switching to a 1 platter. The 60GB MK6008GAH looks good. Now I just need to know if the MK6008GAH will work in the 3rg gen ipods. It has to have the proper connector and the ipod has to accept it. Any ideas?
IF YOU ARE THROWING IT AWAY ILL BUY THE BACK PLATE WITH AUDIO CONNECTOR
I NEED ONE MINE BROKE ILL PAY 5- 10 DOLLARS TOTAL W/ SHIPPING

CINDYSTAR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 02:57 PM

Apple 3rd Gen 40gb Ipod
If You Are Throwing It Away Ill Buy The Back Plate With Audio Connector
Or Just Audio Jack Connector
I Need One Mine Broke Ill Pay 5- 10 Dollars Total W/ Shipping

King_Rat  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 03:19 PM

I am not throwing it out; that should be obvious form the fact that I ordered a new hard drive for it.

Ajprice - I don't think that it matters if you use USB 2 or firewire, though if it works with USB 1.1 it is going to be slow. I have not connected it to a windows computer so I don't know if there are any format issues but a bit of searching should answer that.
-King Rat

Forum Links
Forum Rules