Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight (Page 6)
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2008, 07:14 PM

Saw it and for the first time in years (excluding Batman Begins), I didn't cringe at how corny someone running around in a near-spandex suit looked.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2008, 07:51 PM

I just saw it (finally). It was like three different movies run one right after the other. It was intense. Heath was superbly psychotic and violent. Christian wasn't as stiff as some people want to paint him-I thought he did quite well. Michael Cain stole the show though, but with some stiff competition from Morgan Freeman. Gush! Effuse! Wow!

And I liked it too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Keaton's was a better performance, as I duck from the debris being tossed at me.
everyone who has read this thread is aware of your opinion.

your smarmy remarks are unneccesary.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2008, 08:35 PM

Keaton's was a better performance, as I duck from the debris being tossed at me.
I had some doubt before, but now I know you're stringing us along.

Very well done, kudos.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2008, 09:23 AM

I really really enjoyed that one.

Loved the special effects and the performances. Best summer movie so far.

I prefer that series because the special effects seemed closer to reality that the other Batman's movies.

Ledger performance was disturbing (in a positive way).

The disfiguration of Harvey was also haunting.

Wonder if there is going to be a third one.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I had some doubt before, but now I know you're stringing us along.
He may be, but I have to admit I prefer Keaton in the suit. Bale as Batman doesn't work that well for me. I still enjoyed the movie, but the hype is out of control. I don't think a movie has been this overrated since Forrest Gump.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
He may be, but I have to admit I prefer Keaton in the suit. Bale as Batman doesn't work that well for me. I still enjoyed the movie, but the hype is out of control. I don't think a movie has been this overrated since Forrest Gump.
Bale is the only one that I like as both Wayne and Batman. All of the others have been either/or.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2008, 10:56 AM

Finally saw it myself. I guess you can put me in the "just didn't get it" category. I thought it was a total yawnfest. I really don't like Christian Bale as Batman (but I really like him as an actor). His Batman "voice" is laughable at best. Heath Ledger was good... but not amazing. The pace of the movie was too slow for my tastes. I was struggling to keep my eyes open for the last 30 minutes.

If Iron Man is a 10, The Dark Knight is a 5.

Even still, I'm going to go see it again, just to give it another chance. Maybe I was just in a crappy mood.

freudling
Banned
Aug 4, 2008, 12:08 PM

Atheist:

Now everyone can attack you! How dare you not like the movie. By the way, about 3/4 the way into the movie, I started yawning... I looked around the theatre and noticed the couple in my row yawning as well. I then looked up and others were yawning too...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 12:16 PM

news outlets report morgan freeman seriously hurt in car accident; no other details. f'n eh.

edit: he is awake, upright, and talking.

i guess i should read ALL news sources first

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 01:07 PM

I thought I read that Maggie signed up for TWO batman movies. Is she just going to be in flashbacks or what?

Uriel
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 08:50 PM

I think it's totally fine that Atheist didn't like it. Same goes for anyone else. What bothers me is when people portray their opinion as fact.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
I think it's totally fine that Atheist didn't like it. Same goes for anyone else. What bothers me is when people portray their opinion as fact.
Precisely!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 4, 2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Originally Posted by PlacidTubs View Post
Precisely!
I agree completely. Opinions are wonderful things to have—better than not having one on anything! But MY opinions are only opinions, and I both know and recognize the difference between fact (which I can back up with evidence) and opinion (which is simply my emotional reaction to something). I thought it was a fun movie, but then I like action movies where a really fictional universe seems pretty darn real, and where the characters don't look like actors portraying roles but real people. I thought Michael Caine was superb, as was Heath Ledger. My opinions, that's all.

I also liked the Michael Keaton "Batman" movies; Michael managed to show some pretty solid acting in them, and I thought his Bruce was really good at being "mater of fact" about being incredibly wealthy. I thought Val Kilmer was an odd fit, but he pulled it off fairly well. By the time George Clooney was playing the bat, the stories had gone from being "dark" to being "darkly comedic" and that was a whole different thing. I enjoyed all of these movies, but I never thought of them as "art."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
it reminds most of us of the type of person who voted for Young Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan for Best Pic.
I would've gone with Ryan, but I think Shakespeare was also deserving.

OTOH, Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction () and The Shawshank Redemption () is just... ridiculous.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2008, 08:43 AM

Personally I think Rocky beating Taxi Driver is the biggest Oscar crime.

Cold Warrior
Aug 5, 2008, 12:52 PM

Gentlemen,
I deleted just a few posts to take out some of the personal drama (and replies to it, since they contained quotes) in order to keep this on track. Can we?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 09:48 PM

Back to how the rest of the human race feels about this picture....The Dark Knight has now reached the $400 million mark faster (way faster) than any other movie. In fact, it should have reached #7 on the top domestic grossing films of all time by tonight. If you ask me, it is now a shoe-in to take down Star Wars for the number two spot on that list.

Dare I hope it can keep on churning forward and right one of the greatest wrongs in movie history: the fact that Titanic is the highest grossing picture of all time?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 5, 2008, 09:53 PM

I kinda liked Titanic, but it was epic in quite a different way, and frankly it was a "chick flick" with some decent action (oh, and nudity!) to draw a few guys in. But it drew a LOT of people, so many folks figured it was pretty darn good.

On the other hand, it was ONE story that was well told. I thought of Dark Knight as being about three different, sequential movies, each with a different tone and mood. Three complex stories that both led logically from one to the next and still kept you on edge wondering what was going to happen next. That should definitely count for something, especially at the box office. I should point out that I was the reason two other people saw it for the second time-so they could take me to see it. Just doin' my part...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 10:14 PM

I never saw Titanic in the theaters but I saw it on video. If you just skipped the first 45 minutes or so and started watching from about where Kate gets her knickers off, then it's a dang good film. Before that, meh. But even if TDK wins in $, because of ticket prices these days, it would have to gross about $900 million domestically.

Still, if anything, this further shows that even "comic-book" movies can work. Both TDK and Iron-man take different approaches but end up as satisfying movies. Less so with the revamped Hulk.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 10:29 PM

Hmmm... ...Titanic.

All made possible by a Doof homie (I'm sitting about two miles from where he was born and bred). If he hadn't have sank the ship, you wouldn't have had the film.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 11:27 PM

Still, if anything, this further shows that even "comic-book" movies can work. Both TDK and Iron-man take different approaches but end up as satisfying movies. Less so with the revamped Hulk.
Comic-book movies have already been shown to work before this year.

I still haven't seen Titanic. I just don't want to watch a movie that long.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2008, 05:17 AM

But even if TDK wins in $, because of ticket prices these days, it would have to gross about $900 million domestically.
I think that taking into account inflation isn't really relevant here, as that would mean Gone With the Wind is top anyway.

Plus the Dark Knight has piracy to contend with, and the fact that at the moment many people have less disposable income to see a movie multiple times.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2008, 01:38 PM

I decided to watch one of the older Batman movies (Batman Returns).... and man oh man. i cant believe i liked that movie when i first watched it, but i guess i was 14(or something) at the time. But wow.... talk about over acting and cheesy lines.

The Dark Knight seems leaps and bounds ahead of those older Batman movies now imo., it is a 'serious' superhero flick. i guess i was wrong with my earlier post, the Dark Knight is possibly the best Batman movie there is. Now i really am having second thoughts of watching Superman 2, 3 or 4)

Also i think Unbreakable is worth mentioning when it comes to superhero flicks.

Cheers

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I decided to watch one of the older Batman movies (Batman Returns).... and man oh man. i cant believe i liked that movie when i first watched it, but i guess i was 14(or something) at the time. But wow.... talk about over acting and cheesy lines.

Cheers
I agree. I saw Batman returns when I was 12 and thought it was the greatest thing. My Dad thought it was awful and I could not understand why.

Nolan is doing the DC franchises some good for the first time in a long time. (I did not like Superman Returns very much BTW)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2008, 01:50 PM

I'm a fan of Unbreakable as well. Its my favorite M. Night movie. The cinematography was just superb.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 02:03 PM

Kim Basinger is also not as hot as I remembered from my childhood. That was half the reason me and my friends watched Batman so many times.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2008, 02:49 PM

i guess i was wrong with my earlier post, the Dark Knight is possibly the best Batman movie there is.
I think it's between Batman (1989) and The Dark Knight (as far as live action goes). My favorite overall is Mask of the Phantasm.

Now i really am having second thoughts of watching Superman 2, 3 or 4)
Superman 2 is a classic. The less said about 4, the better.

I loathe that movie! I just remember figured out the "twist" near the beginning and being bored out of my mind. I should probably watch it again, because it can't be as bad as I remember... or can it? I thought The Sixth Sense was well done, but I haven't liked anything he's done since then.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
My favorite overall is Mask of the Phantasm.
Got it on my iPhone.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2008, 07:03 AM

Off to see this in IMAX this time.

freudling
Banned
Aug 15, 2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Back to how the rest of the human race feels about this picture....The Dark Knight has now reached the $400 million mark faster (way faster) than any other movie. In fact, it should have reached #7 on the top domestic grossing films of all time by tonight. If you ask me, it is now a shoe-in to take down Star Wars for the number two spot on that list.

Dare I hope it can keep on churning forward and right one of the greatest wrongs in movie history: the fact that Titanic is the highest grossing picture of all time?
I saw it again last night for the second time, I take back everything I said. Wow, what an amazing film. I am not sure what I was thinking before. I am thinking of going back each night for the next week. I told myself that I wanted to rack up about $200 in tickets on this to help support them for the next Batman.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 05:46 PM

Oh what a surprise. Your other thread gets locked and you return here.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2008, 05:48 PM

I saw it again last night for the second time, I take back everything I said. Wow, what an amazing film. I am not sure what I was thinking before. I am thinking of going back each night for the next week. I told myself that I wanted to rack up about $200 in tickets on this to help support them for the next Batman.
Wait...he is joking, right?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2008, 06:22 PM

Of course he is. Obviously, he has nothing better to do.

I've seen it 5 times, taken everyone who is even remotely interested. What a great summer flick, and I'm looking forward to Heath's Oscar.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 07:30 PM

It was good. Not great. Saw it twice. 8.3/10 probably

my thoughts:

( Last edited by seanc; Aug 15, 2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Fixed the spoiler)
we don't have time to stop for gas

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2008, 05:45 AM

I think that this film was more about Gotham than any previous Batman film. I also don't think Two Face was just shoved in at the end. Sure, we only see big bad harv at the end, but I think Harvey Dent's arc was the most prominent one in the film. The whole film was a tragedy about the fall of a hero, which I personally thought worked perfectly.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2008, 06:03 AM

I really liked this movie, but after letting it sink in for awhile, i have a couple of criticisms...they are minute detailes, but still changed the batman image is a 'negative' way imo:

-Alfred. i prefer 'Michael Gough'.... the accent really makes a difference, and i do prefer the old one over Michael Caine's cockney accent which severely makes him seem more like a hired hand as opposed to a butler.
-Morgan Freeman. is it just me or is he...his acting, accent, etc...just so annoying. its the same attitude in like every movie. i cant stand the guy's performances and i think he should have never been put into any batman movies.

What do you guys think ?

Cheers

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2008, 06:06 AM

Caine and Freeman were my two favourite actors in this, exceptional performances in my eyes
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2008, 09:45 AM

Michael Caine served a very important purpose in this (and the previous) feature: the conscience of Bruce/the bat. When Bruce is confused and conflicted, Alfred helps boil things down for him, without giving him the answer. Bruce can't "burn down the jungle" but he can find a way to adapt to this new city that his Batman has created, a way that can make it a better place, but he can't do that without being well grounded in what's right, and that's what Alfred does for him. Michael's accent actually makes him less of a "snob factor" butler and more of a "gentleman's gentleman" to me; he's down to earth, but also worldly.

Morgan Freeman was much more interesting in "The Dark Knight" than in the first film, and not just because he had more screen time. He's not just an employee, not just someone the board was shuffling out of the way that Bruce finds to help him. In this one, he's got a lot to say about what's right, what's ethical, and what is ethical in a serious crisis. I really enjoyed his part.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 12:55 PM

I think that might be the first time in history that Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were slammed by someone concurrently.

Actually, it might be the first time I've ever heard either of them get slammed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I think that might be the first time in history that Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were slammed by someone concurrently.

Actually, it might be the first time I've ever heard either of them get slammed.
I'm not generally crazy about Morgan Freeman. It's like they could film him once against a greenscreen and just resell the stock footage for every movie that wants him after that, because he's always playing the same damn character. Ashley Tisdale shows more range. And I mean, I like Morgan Freeman and he plays the one character competently, but it can take me out of the movie when he's onscreen, kind of like if a dolly had crashed down in the background and they left it in the final film.

I didn't have this problem with The Dark Knight, though. It was good enough to keep me immersed even when part of my mind was going, "Hey, isn't that character the president from Deep Impact?"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2008, 02:42 PM

Im not trying to be controvertial here. i know Caine and Freeman are seasoned actors n all. And i actually find Caine charming and a good actor, i just don think he was best suited for this role, for the reason i mentioned above. it's a minute detail, but sorta changed the image of 'Alfred' from what it was supposed to be.

As far as Freeman..... im kind of tired of his 'know it all'-over-confident-'cool' character he plays in like all his moveis. i dont think ive ever seen a sense of urgency, fear, sadness, desperation in any of his roles...hes always the same character, the same attitude, same tone(voice/accent).... and i just find it annoying.

As far as stealing the show tho.... Ledger (his unfortunate death having nothing to do with it).... his portrayal of a comic book villain is now probably the definitive one. never before have i seen the motivation of 'chaos' so well portrayed in a villain. And Aaron Eckhart, this is the first performance of his that i've seen...but i enjoyed his character..... ambitious, gungho, spite...and is overall fall was well done. And of course Gary Oldman....his role was so well done that you dont even think so much about it, it just fits. (Oldman is possibly my favorite actor these days).

To me, the leading role was the Joker, and the supporting character was Batman .... which is surprisingly refreshing. I'm actually looking forward to the next batman movie, not because of the special effects nor the bat gadgets nor the action, but rather the next villain.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Aug 17, 2008 at 02:48 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2008, 03:59 PM

Im not trying to be controvertial here. i know Caine and Freeman are seasoned actors n all. And i actually find Caine charming and a good actor, i just don think he was best suited for this role, for the reason i mentioned above. it's a minute detail, but sorta changed the image of 'Alfred' from what it was supposed to be.
Michael Caine said that was a conscious decision, to reflect that Alfred wasn't originally a butler, but came to work for the Wayne family later in life after his time as a soldier and all that.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Aug 17, 2008, 08:44 PM

I will keep seeing this movie just for Heath's performance. Sure I am a huge Batman fan, but my favorite Villain of all time is the Joker(that's any comic book). There was some sweet Batman moments, like with the sky hook, but Heath was the star in my eyes. I have seen it 3 times and intend on going another before it leaves the theaters.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 12:00 PM

Wowsers. The detail in the full-screen IMAX scenes is stunning on an IMAX screen.

I've seen movies converted to IMAX before on an IMAX screen, but they're simply not in the same league in terms of detail and clarity. Native IMAX filming really makes a huge difference.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 12:13 PM

Although I liked the movie... a LOT, here are a few of the issues I had with it:

Had to love the pencil trick though. Best Joker trick ever.

BTW, while I did feel Ledger's Joker is the best of all time, I liked Jack Nicholson's too.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 02:59 PM

I loved the bike up wall part!

I didn't like the sonar either but that is probably because we are geeks and know it is impossible.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 04:53 PM

That's whats great about a movie based on a comic book. They can get away with those things...... (right?)

Anyways, I liked the bike up the wall thing too. The theater I was in, almost everyone clapped when that happened.

The sonar thing I was indifferent about. I liked it better when he would summon a swarm of bats to assist him. That was sweet. I realize thats a totally different thing, but whatever.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2008, 12:16 AM

Yeah, the bats were totally sweet. It tightly linked the beginning and middle of that movie, in a very cool way.

The sonar thing was just bolted on. It seems like they wanted something cool and techy for the climax so they just made this up almost as filler. However, it didn't quite work. It felt like a summer movie gimmick, orphaned in a differently styled movie.

I can almost see the script now.

Act 1: Action and dramatic scenes: Establish Joker as a freakazoid.
Act 2: Hype up Dent as the white knight.
Act 3: Mayhem
Act 4: Resolution, utilizing cool techy thing. Details of cool techy thing to follow, from staff writers.

That said, I still preferred Dark Knight overall to Batman Begins.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 23, 2008 at 12:36 AM. )

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2008, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I loved the bike up wall part!

I didn't like the sonar either but that is probably because we are geeks and know it is impossible.
I agree.. it was kind of unnecessary!!! Great film tho..... loved the pencil moment!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules