Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Keeping up with Technology - Suggested Upgrades...

Keeping up with Technology - Suggested Upgrades...
ltcarter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 01:51 PM

In the end it will probably be a futile task, but I want to give my 300 B&W G3 some more power before it it obsolete. I contemplated getting an iBook, but decided that spending the money simply wasn't an efficient option. What want to do it definitely increase my memory to at least 512. I just don't want to have to turn virtual memory on to play SC3K, or run all my internet applications at once. Does anyone have any recommendations on performance upgrades that I should be aware of? It's like I feel I need a superfast G4, but I'll never get my hands on one until it's the lower end system. Also, any ideas on where I could get the 512 upgrade for cheap? I already ave the 128, so maybe just an addition to current memory....

I really would appreciate any ideas you may have. I'm not exactly rich, but I am willing to put some money into it.

Thanks,
Sean

SpinyNorman
May 30, 2001, 02:26 PM

You can get 256MB sticks for $45-$60 at a variety of vendors. That's a quick and easy fix. If you still need more of a boost after adding your RAM, G4 ZIFs for your machine start in the $250 range.

deaconMPG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 03:36 PM

When you buy your RAM you might want to by PC 133 not PC 100 that way when you get your G4 you just take the PC 133 out of the old G3 and pop it in to the new G4.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2001, 04:53 PM

I am planing on getting a nice G3 BW with a 300mhz and upgadeing the video card, putiting in a new Ziff a nice G4 500 and some more ram and mabey a nice 20-30 gig HD that should keep it going for another bunch of years

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

ltcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 05:50 PM

Hi SpinyNorman, where have you seen these prices? can you direct me to a few places? THanks
-Sean

SpinyNorman
May 30, 2001, 06:20 PM

http://www.ramseeker.com/pc100.shtml

And you probably should look into PC133 RAM if you're going to upgrade in the near future (only a few bucks difference).

SpinyNorman
May 30, 2001, 06:23 PM

Look here for upgrades (they also have memory):
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

capone
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 06:48 PM

Get a Radeon PCI for $170, a G4 CPU upgrade, and a 256 MB stick of RAM.

------------------
-capone

G4/400 448 30,10 Rage128, Radeon
Performa 6116CD/60/700
Quadra AV
LC 575
LCIII
Apple IIgs

And thats not all

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

muttfree
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 07:39 PM

carter, keep in mind that the B&W can only take up to a 256mb ram chip. a 512 may fit into the slots, but the system will only recognize 1/2 of it....check the specs

I got mine from Data Memory Systems, for $59.00 each

Other good upgrades are 7200 rpm ATA/66 or 100 HD's and a Sonnet Tempo ATA controller card to plug them (4) into. Increases data throughput from the stock 16 or 33mb/s to 66mb/s......best $99.00 I spent on my B&W, second only to the extra ram (1GB)

little blue now literally ...S C R E A M S.... with speeeedddddd !

Also if you are the adventurist type, you could overclock your CPU too, but only if you feel safe working inside the box......

check the xlr8yourmac site if you want to learn more

HTH
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

ltcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 12:16 AM

I would like to take a look into the G4 chip upgrade. How much of a speed increase can you notice? Also, I looked at something called a G4 Ziff(is this the proccesor upgrade??). It said you can install it into a Ziff slot(or something like that), so I popped the side of my G3 down and took a look around inside. I know what the PCI and memory slots are and where they are, but what and where is this so called Ziff slot? If I even have one....
This is the upgrade I was looking at, anyone know about it? http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...8&Item=SGZ4500
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate help you're all giving me, thanks again!
-Sean

ltcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 06:02 AM

I don't know if anybody is reading this discussion anymore, but I think I just found out how to install the G4 upgrade. I was in the process of moving my computer to the other side of my room when I decided to take another look inside of this so called Tiff slot. Since seeing a picture of the actual piece online, I took off the heat-sink from the processor, and then unplugged the G3 itself(maybe not, but I have a feeling it was the processor, can anyone confirm or deny this?). Luckily, I plugged it back in right or I wouldn't be talking to you right now! So it seems simple enough. I thin as soon as I get the money, I am ordering the G4/500 upgrade. I just ordered the 256MBs of RAM at Data Memory Systems. Can't wait to try it out. This is just so exiting to me, it's almost like getting a new computer!

Again, thanks a lot for the help and suggestions from all of you, it has opened a whole new world to me in these past two days.
-Sean Carter

indigo
May 31, 2001, 10:12 AM

if at any time in the future you are thinking of adding an additional hard drive, you should be aware there are issues with certain revisions of the BW G3. To determine which revision of the BW you have, you can go to this website. I have the Rev 1 BW G3 and have had a decent amount of problems. A slave drive hasn't really been very happy in the BW, so I finally went with a PCI IDE card.
Good luck!

SpinyNorman
May 31, 2001, 10:39 AM

ZIF refers to a zero-insertion-force form factor. It's essentially a user-replaceable processor (unlike upgrades for other machines which require purchase of a card with a processor soldered-on).

muttfree
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 07:26 AM

Indigo, if he indeed has a 300mhz machine as he stated in his original post, then it is DEFINITELY a rev 1, and will need the PCI controller to add more HD's......

but yes, yes, yes, check the xlr8 site for LOTS of great info on upgrading the B&W's

And Spiny is right about the ZIF, you just remove the old cpu and plug in the new one. it really is THAT easy Just remember to ground yourself first BEFORE touching anything inside the box. And, be 1000% certain the you CORRECTLY re-install the clip that holds the heat sink down. If not you will get almost immediate overheating and crashing.

carter...good luck with the upgrades, which ever ones you decide to do. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the performance increases. Please post back with the results or if you need more help.....

You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

indigo
Jun 2, 2001, 12:17 PM

Like Itcarter, I too have a rev 1 300 mhz BW. I've been contemplating upgrading, but I've been trying to figure out the cost effectiveness of such a move. Can my machine take advantage of Altivec if I upgrade to a G4 processor? any other issues that would make it better to just sell the G3 and buy a G4?

<muttfree>
Jun 3, 2001, 08:09 AM

Indigo, it would depend on a few things....

If you are a pro user and need your machine to earn a living with things like Photoshop or audio applications, then buying a new G4 (after MWNY) would make alot more sense than upgrading an older machine, with the recent advancements in bus & memory speed and availability of DP systems, you could gain alot of productivity.

OTOH, if you are a casual user and use your machine for NON-professional uses, then upgrading makes more sense for most people.....but only to a point !
Your machine is probably worth about $500-800.00 as is, so adding ram and faster or bigger HD's or PCI cards usually is not that expensive comparitively. But personally, thought of spending around $400-500 on a G4 upgrade card seems a bit steep for your system, IMHO

of course if your budget is limited and you want the benefit of added speed without a $2000.00+ investment, and your machine otherwise does everything you need it to do, then go for it........

But in any case, yes, your machine can use the speed up from Altivec, but obviously not quite to the level of a new machine. And of course you would need applications that are Altivec aware also...

HTH

ltcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 04:11 PM

"And of course you would need applications that are Altivec aware also..."

What do you mean by this?
-Sean http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/confused.gif

indigo
Jun 3, 2001, 04:24 PM

if he indeed has a 300mhz machine as he stated in his original post, then it is DEFINITELY a rev 1, and will need the PCI controller to add more HD's......
muttfree-
forgive me if I'm mistaken, but why must itcarter definately have a rev. 1 if he has a 300 mhz BW G3. My understanding was that the 300 mhz variety was available in both revisions. Am I mistaken?

Although I am not a pro user like many others out there, I think I would likely benefit from a new G4. I use a lot of biological/medical/imaging apps that could benefit from from the added speed. I guess my question really boils down to: would a BW G3 upgraded to a 500 mhz G4 be equivalent to a true G4 of comparable speed?

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: indigo ]

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2001, 06:25 PM

No, a B&W with a 500MHz G4 upgrade isn't as fast as a PMG4 system. It has a slower bus, slower HD controller, other motherboard features that are slower. But it's still going to be a pretty fast system.

I would try overclocking the B&W G3 before buying a ZIF upgrade. Overclocking the B&Ws doesn't require soldering, just flip a few tiny switches and that's it. You might get it to 400MHz if you're lucky.

This new instant code gizmo ROCKS!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

<muttfree>
Jun 3, 2001, 09:02 PM

itcarter....

what I meant is that only applications (like Photoshop) that are specifically written to use the Altivec extensions will show any SIGNIFICANT speed increases from using a G4 CPU. If you dont use or plan to use those types of apps, then IMHO a G4 upgrade would be of little use to you, especially considering the cost, which you apply to other things that would give you a bigger bang for your bucks......

indigo......

the 300 mhz models were discontinued when Apple switched to the rev 2. When I ordered my B&W in mid 99, it was one of the first rev 2 made, and the 300mhz model was not available at that time. The line went from 300-350-400mhz rev 1, to 350-400-450mhz rev 2, and stayed that way until the B&W was discontinued in Aug of 99, when the new G4's came out

And I agree with O/C Sapien, an upgraded machine will NEVER be as fast as a native G4, but still will be MUCH faster than the stock configuration. Again, if the apps you use are coded for Altivec, then go for the G4 upgrade, otherwise, IMHO, it just aint worth the expense

As for the overclocking, I did mine from 350/175 to 450/225 using the instructions at the xlr8 site (actually no switches are involved, just jumpers), and achieved a CONSIDERABLE performance increase for F R E E ! But I also added a Sonnet Tempo ATA/66 controller, 3-7200rpm HD's, a GIG of ram, a cpu fan, a 4 port UBS hub, and a Proformance 3 graphics accellerator too, so, needless to say, my little blue machine just buzzes with s p p p e e e d. It does everything I need it to do, and I dont think I will want or need a new machine for quite some time, at least not until Apple makes something that is about 5 times better, faster and cheaper than what they have now

Now if Creative could just get that damned SB live working as well for us as it does on a peecee ????? ( I only have 1 PCI slot left, guess what it's for

Forum Links
Forum Rules