Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Parties complain about errors in iOS 6 Maps app

Parties complain about errors in iOS 6 Maps app
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 20, 2012, 06:28 AM

Reports are starting to filter in complaining about the quality of iOS 6's mapping data. One of the most significant notes that Ireland's Justice Minister, Alan Shatter, has contacted Apple regarding a mistake with Airfield Park in Dublin. While the landmark is in reality home to gardens, a cafe, and a city farm, Apple has the place marked down as an airport. Google Maps, which Apple abandoned for iOS 6, correctly identifies the location.

Still other people have noted that the new Maps' turn-by-turn directions can sometimes be inaccurate, and that a number of countries lack thorough coverage. An example of the latter can be found in Scotland, where a report observes that areas of the Highlands such as Inverness, Thurso, Tain, Nairn, and Ullapool are all in black-and-white, even though full-color satellite data is used by both Bing and Google Maps. Wick and Dingwall are obscured by clouds, while Elgin and Aviemore are rendered only in low-resolution textures. Apple has tried to distance itself from Google, owing to animosity towards the latter's Android platform. Google Maps was more comprehensive however, not just in terms of accurate coverage but in terms of features. The replacement app lacks things like an equivalent to Street View, or even any public transit directions; it instead directs people taking buses or trains to integrated third-party apps.

Mississauga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 07:41 AM

It appears Google Maps is available for iPhone as a download. I'm curious as to its performance on the iPhone 5.

http://www.google.ca/mobile/maps/
* * * * *Alec

revco
Sep 20, 2012, 08:11 AM

It's referring to the Map app on iOS up to v5. iOS6 does away with the Google Map app. FYI If you visit the Google Map page in Safari on your iPhone, it loads a mobile version that you can add a link to your home screen for direct access. It's a bit clunky but it works.

revco
Sep 20, 2012, 08:16 AM

And yes, I agree, the maps in iOS6 are a downgrade in usefulness and quality. No street numbers, no bus stops, limited zoom, dark blurry aerials, and dozens of little icons for cafes, restaurants, shops etc that you can't turn off. I reinstalled iOS5 to get the Google Map app back.

CTMartin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 08:53 AM

My (limited) experience has been the opposite. In Massachusetts, Google originally had my home's street name correct. Then about 2 years ago, it was renamed to "TempCopy St."
Apple's iOS app has the correct name.
The turn-by-turn directions are vastly superior to my Magellan GPS.

hayesk
Sep 20, 2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mississauga View Post
It appears Google Maps is available for iPhone as a download. I'm curious as to its performance on the iPhone 5.
http://www.google.ca/mobile/maps/
That's a web page, not a "download". But useful, nonetheless.

testudo
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2012, 11:33 AM

Sure, it's less useful, not as feature filled, and not nearly as correct. But it's an Apple thing, so it's better! Right!?!

But I'm sure we'll be hearing how its a 'first generation' thing, and it will get better and all that and we should be patient. Because that's the mantra whenever Apple decides to screw things up (take Final Cut X, for example).

Forum Links
Forum Rules