Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Matrox announces DS1 Thunderbolt docking station

Matrox announces DS1 Thunderbolt docking station
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 26, 2012, 02:35 PM

Matrox announced today the availability of the Matrox DS1 series of Thunderbolt docking stations for MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. The stations bring much of the benefit of a desktop computer to Apple's portable lineup, allowing users to connect additional peripherals and output to additional monitors. The DS1 stations connect to an Apple notebook with just one Thunderbolt connection, allowing users to control multiple peripherals without needing to hook them all in.

The DS1s can connect to a large DVI or HDMI display, a full-size keyboard, and a mouse. They also have a gigabit Ethernet port for speeds 18 times faster than Wi-Fi, one SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port, two USB 2.0 ports, a microphone input, and a speaker/headphone output. The DS1s feature aluminum construction and a compact frame as well. The Matrox DS1/DVI and Matrox DS1/HDMI will be available worldwide through a network of authorized dealers in December 2012. They will be priced at $249.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 04:37 PM

I like Matrox but they are missing the point. The most important thing we need is a pass-through Thunderbolt port. That would sell docks.

<sigh>

-Allen

martinX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2012, 02:31 AM

Just put the dock last in the chain. It still connects to a display.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2012, 07:32 AM

"Last in the chain" is virtually useless.

The point is to create or continue a chain. That could be a real value add of such a dock, and much as I like their products Matrox fails to get it with this dock design.

Simply replicating the ports of a MBP is not worth $250 when it also costs taking away all Thunderbolt capability. $250 is a lot of money just for the convenience of plugging in one plug instead of several.

Include a Thunderbolt port and it all makes sense.

-Allen

Edit:
My 2011 MBP has Ethernet but I see the new ones do not, so the Ethernet capability can be a very important value add for those wanting to network using the (hamstrung) latest MBPs. Why Apple goes to such lengths to discourage business use of Macs is beyond me; it makes zero sense.

Still, I would think straight Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapters would be available at less cost. The real value add would be in obtaining these capabilities without losing Thunderbolt.

-Allen

David Catalano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2012, 09:32 AM

Wow, I was already thinking it wasn't desirable because it didn't simply have two monitor outputs but it wasn't until I read the comments that I realized the docking station didn't also have a thunderbolt port. This is a convenience product to keep you from needing to plug in a few peripherals. A price point of $50-$99 makes more sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules