Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > OS X Yosemite public beta now available

OS X Yosemite public beta now available
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 24, 2014, 01:03 PM

As promised earlier this week, Apple has begun seeding the first public beta of OS X Yosemite. Access is limited to the first million people entered into the OS X Beta Program. That requires having both an Apple ID and a Mac running OS X Mavericks.

Apple cautions that the Yosemite beta shouldn't be installed on a primary machine, since it's still in unfinished shape and not fully stable. The final version of Yosemite is due sometime this fall, possibly in late October alongside new Macs. Apple often prefers to launch OS X updates in parallel with new hardware.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 01:09 PM

Huh??

I get an error message: "This code has already been redeemed."

I followed the directions to https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/guide and clicked on the button to download OS X Yosemite, but it took me to a redemption code thing in the App Store and gave me that error message and won't let me download it.

This is the first time that I was even aware of a redemption code. I never received one before, so how could I have redeemed it?!

Update: Apple's got a "We'll be back" tag so they know about it.

( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jul 24, 2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: [b]Update:[/b] Apple's got a "We'll be back" tag so they know about it.)

prl99
Senior User
Jul 24, 2014, 01:32 PM

And.reg Are you a regular ADC member? If so, this redemption code is probably the same one you might have used without knowing it for a previous version of Yosemite. I'm an ADC member so I already have this version (if it's the DP4 version) and I'm updating using the App Store.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 01:46 PM

I have no idea, doesn't matter anyway,

it says "We'll be back soon"

Brilliant, even the download page is in beta status

And so is the email notification from Apple which I never got...

Steve Jobs is rollin'

prl99
Senior User
Jul 24, 2014, 01:57 PM

Other sites are saying Apple's servers are being hammered. The download is 1.75GB.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 24, 2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
Other sites are saying Apple's servers are being hammered. The download is 1.75GB.
As I understand it, that's just the FIRST download.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 02:08 PM

I say we start linking to all the other forums just to find out which one has the latest update

And then all the other forums can do the same so we have an interlaced cobweb of demarcated updates

Here I'll start

PSA: Download the OS X Yosemite public beta now | Ars Technica

prl99
Senior User
Jul 24, 2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
As I understand it, that's just the FIRST download.
Probably right. I checked and my ADC Yosemite installer application is 5.1GB. Mavericks was 5.3GB. My Yosemite DP4 update was in the 1.7GB range. No wonder the servers are being hammered.

schwei56
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2014, 02:41 PM

One ought to know better than to try to do this in the first hour . . . be that as it may—before the site got "hammered", I was able to get the build number: 14A299l, and a redemption code, which I'll hopefully be able to use in about 12 hours or so.

The safest way to go about this, I think, is to do a clean "cold" install and Apple login (via an extracted standalone bootable installer volume) of Mavericks (10.9.4) on a dedicated drive/partition/Mac, then log on to Apple and download/run the Yosemite install from the app onto the same fresh Mavericks install, and possibly *also* via the same standalone bootable install technique. It'd be interesting to find out which is smoother/faster. I also understand that Yosemite's performance suffers via any protocol other than thunderbolt/SATA direct. I suppose a USB 3.0 bootup is adequate.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2014, 02:48 PM

"The safest way to go about this, I think, is to do a clean "cold" install and Apple login (via an extracted standalone bootable installer volume) of Mavericks (10.9.4) on a dedicated drive/partition/Mac, then log on to Apple and download/run the Yosemite install from the app onto the same fresh Mavericks install, and possibly *also* via the same standalone bootable install technique."

Absolutely no need for that. Just download the Yosemite installer (when you can) and run it right from your Mavericks installation just like any other app. Choose a free volume on your HD (or an external HD, as long as it's fast enough, like USB 3 or TB) and install. Your Mac will reboot into the chosen volume and finish the installation.

Again: no need for a previous Mavericks installation or any other voodoo.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 24, 2014, 03:10 PM

Going to toss this out there. If you have a machine that makes you money, DO NOT install beta or preview software on it.

Let somebody else get the flaming data for you.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 03:13 PM

Still says "We'll be back soon" or, if I get past that, same thing with redemption code
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jul 24, 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: got a new code and it works -- and it shows up under Purchases)

Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 06:27 PM

Installer is busy, says "about 4 minutes remaining" for the last hour and a half. Seems normal given all the stuff in my use folder, but now it's past all that and it says "completing installation" after the system rebooted itself and it's over. Yay
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jul 24, 2014 at 06:41 PM. )

schwei56
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2014, 07:22 PM

EstaNightshift has the idea I feel most comfortable with. Even release system software [cough-Panther-cough] can do serious hurt to your HD. I actually skipped Lion and Mtn Lion on my production Mac Mini, because they had feature issues that weren't completely resolved. I also waited for the Yosemite announcement before upgrading to Mavericks. It's proven to be a very wise choice.

Your mileage may vary.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
I'm downloading it right now. Says the download is 5.07 GB. I wish it would finish downloading, as I've already had to retry the download several times

Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 08:16 PM

Beautiful OS, but where is the other Yosemite desktop background, the one that looks like this:

http://images.apple.com/osx/preview/...w_messages.jpg

(I found this to hold me over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_do...P_-_Diliff.jpg)
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jul 24, 2014 at 09:32 PM. )

RacerX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2014, 10:11 PM

Servers must be getting hammered. I have been trying since 10am this morning (PDT) and it resets and fails every time. Got so far as 4.4GB and bam reset. I am actually surprised that Apple can't handle this, they are usually really good about handling downloads.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2014, 10:44 PM

It totally sucks... I've been trying since I first received the email from Apple around 3:00 pm PT and still haven't been able to get the download to finish. I have to keep checking my computer 'round about every 30 minutes only to get the dreaded message saying the download has failed. I sure hope it isn't starting over from scratch every time I have to restart the download

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2014, 11:31 PM

I received my approval from Apple at around 1PM PT and had trouble with the system but tried again at 3PM PT and had no issues. I haven't installed it yet because I'm making backups (Time Machine and Clone) before proceeding, as this is beta software.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2014, 12:02 AM

That's great news! I'm gonna keep trying to download the stupid thing up until my bedtime.

efithian
Jul 25, 2014, 07:28 AM

I received the same message, that the code had already been used. When I looked at "Purchases" in Software Update, it was already download the 5.07GB file. That is why it gave me the message. When the download finished, all was well. Xcode also was downloaded from the Beta. No code needed.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2014, 11:49 AM

This is ridicules... after trying essentially overnight, I still can't get this thing to completely download. What a joke

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 25, 2014, 09:35 PM

Currently pulling about 15MB/sec from Apple's servers, the App Store says it's a 5.07GB file. Made a 25GB partition on my SSD to try this out on.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 25, 2014, 10:11 PM

Ham Sandwich
Jul 29, 2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Beautiful OS, but where is the other Yosemite desktop background, the one that looks like this:

http://images.apple.com/osx/preview/...w_messages.jpg
So did anyone find out where it is?

schwei56
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2014, 05:13 PM

Ham Sandwich
Aug 18, 2014, 03:39 PM

Alright with developer preview 6 finally out here they are:

Here are all of OS X Yosemite’s beautiful new wallpapers | 9to5Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules