Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > This replaces MacJanitor

This replaces MacJanitor
VEGAN
Senior User
Aug 8, 2002, 01:52 PM

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 02:49 PM

i look in your general direction

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 03:19 PM

If they do the same thing, how can one be better than the other?

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
If they do the same thing, how can one be better than the other?
This version is something like 5 times smaller than MacJanitor. I would say that this counts for "being better." After all, despite of the size reduction it is just as fast, if not faster.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 10:30 AM

Why invest your time in something that already exists, competition is good, but I think most people are satisfied with Macjanitor, your app may or may not be better, it may have a zillion more options but in the end it only has do one simple thing; run these three scripts ( and there is only one way to do it, the right way, either it works or it doesn't ). This is not the kind of app that I always want the latest and most advandced version of...

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Why invest your time in something that already exists, competition is good, but I think most people are satisfied with Macjanitor, your app may or may not be better, it may have a zillion more options but in the end it only has do one simple thing; run these three scripts. This is not the kind of app that I always want the latest and most advandced version of...
Yes, why bother... competition may be good thing... but, hey, let's buy PC instead, you know.
Isn't this the same logic?

Honestly, it's your call. I hated MacJanitor from the beginning, and always used the Terminal to run the scripts manually... So, I thought to write something like a rival. And here it is. You can go on using MacJanitor if you want. I'm not holding a gun at you

It's just one more option.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 10:38 AM

Why invest your time in something that already exists, competition is good, but I think most people are satisfied with Macjanitor, your app may or may not be better, it may have a zillion more options but in the end it only has do one simple thing; run these three scripts ( and there is only one way to do it, the right way, either it works or it doesn't ). This is not the kind of app that I always want the latest and most advandced version of...
For your question, "why invest time" I'll answer very simply, "It's a very simple program, while at the same time it allowed me to learn how to make applications that are based on AppleScript." This may not be valuable for YOU, but it is valuable for me.

Here is the result of my exercise... I'm sharing it with you... if you want you CAN use it. If you don't... hey, I'm not going to gain or lose if you do or don't.

strepidus
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by VEGAN:

This version is something like 5 times smaller than MacJanitor. I would say that this counts for "being better." After all, despite of the size reduction it is just as fast, if not faster.
Ooh, I get to save 200KB!!! Now THAT's a feature I've been craving!

Well, seriously, people really shouldn't criticize you for making a redundant app since choice IS good, but at the same time, you shouldn't be claiming that it's so much better than MacJanitor that people should switch.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 11:01 AM

For your question, "why invest time" I'll answer very simply, "It's a very simple program, while at the same time it allowed me to learn how to make applications that are based on AppleScript." This may not be valuable for YOU, but it is valuable for me.

Here is the result of my exercise... I'm sharing it with you... if you want you CAN use it. If you don't... hey, I'm not going to gain or lose if you do or don't.
I understand completely, but try to choose a more original idea for your next app ( exercise )

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 11:07 AM

I understand completely, but try to choose a more original idea for your next app ( exercise )
I released 3 applications on the same day, you can check the two others also out at VersionTracker. At least one of them "utilApache" is ORIGINAL! secureSLEEP is similar to SleepLog, but does it differently... so I can see you nagging about that, but as it does something, in my opinion, better AND different, so...

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 11:15 AM

maybe it is your choice of wording for the thread name that is the problem, perhaps it should be a little less like advertising.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
maybe it is your choice of wording for the thread name that is the problem, perhaps it should be a little less like advertising.
Hey, at least I got all you guys jumping! Hehehehee

So, I think I did just what I NEEDED to do

You know, I'm a bit bored today, and it's nice to exchange meaningless messages

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 11:53 AM

Hey, at least I got all you guys jumping! Hehehehee

So, I think I did just what I NEEDED to do
No one is jumping, quite the contrary, everyone here seems quite satisfied with Macjanitor.

You know, I'm a bit bored today, and it's nice to exchange meaningless messages
It's a pity you're bored. Perhaps you could become unbored by writing a package that someone might actually use.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
It's a pity you're bored. Perhaps you could become unbored by writing a package that someone might actually use.
I all ready did that, heheheee

Now I'm pimping the ones that no one wants.

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 12:00 PM

but as it does something, in my opinion, better AND different, so...
So...what? In my opinion the sky today is a beautiful shade of green shot through with lovely bands of purple. Unfortunately it is not in fact the case.

Come back soon. I enjoy pimpsmacking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules