Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Volkswagen is really moving up

Volkswagen is really moving up (Page 2)
mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
As someone else pointed out earlier - just exactly who is going to buy the Phaeton?! I sat in one a few months ago while my wife was dropping her Passat off for a service, and was most underwhelmed; build certainly wasn't anything special.
the people i have talked to that actually can afford and have bought a phaeton talk nothing but great things about it.

clearly all of them say its a steal at the price
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2004, 02:59 AM

I'm probably the typical VW lost customer. Drove and loved my little 2 door Fox for 10 years. Bought it new off the show room floor for less than 8K. Never had any serious issues with it. However when it came to buying a new car I just couldn't muster up the faith to buy another VW. I was interested in the Golf but it's price just wasn't comparable to what you can find with just about every other manufacture. I do miss the fahvernugen though. Nothing like having manual steering and feeling the tug of the road. They need to re-release the Karman Ghia but price it right. Like $12,000 no extraneous frills needed.

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
I'm probably the typical VW lost customer. Drove and loved my little 2 door Fox for 10 years. Bought it new off the show room floor for less than 8K. Never had any serious issues with it. However when it came to buying a new car I just couldn't muster up the faith to buy another VW. I was interested in the Golf but it's price just wasn't comparable to what you can find with just about every other manufacture. I do miss the fahvernugen though. Nothing like having manual steering and feeling the tug of the road. They need to re-release the Karman Ghia but price it right. Like $12,000 no extraneous frills needed.
Time for you to move up to a Saab.
AutoJC

Pure Democracy Is Collectivist Mob Rule-
Capitalism.org

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
the people i have talked to that actually can afford and have bought a phaeton talk nothing but great things about it.

clearly all of them say its a steal at the price
Some steal it is!

Why would anyone want to pay upwards of $65K and up for a VOLKSWAGEN?

If I get a Phaeton I want a lifetime warranty which includes free Phaeton loaner cars which are chauffer driven.

Damn, I can get a Lexus LS430 for less money. Or a Mercedes-Benz S-class.

Or even two SAAB 9-5 Aeros!
AutoJC

Pure Democracy Is Collectivist Mob Rule-
Capitalism.org

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 01:45 PM

Mmmmm. The new LS430 is so scrumptious.
I, ASIMO.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by AutoJC:
Some steal it is!

Why would anyone want to pay upwards of $65K and up for a VOLKSWAGEN?

If I get a Phaeton I want a lifetime warranty which includes free Phaeton loaner cars which are chauffer driven.

Damn, I can get a Lexus LS430 for less money. Or a Mercedes-Benz S-class.

Or even two SAAB 9-5 Aeros!
The reason that the Phaeton is a VOLKSWAGEN is that the (outgoing) group MD wanted to make the "best car in the world" and as it's the VOLKSWAGEN group. it doesn't have to sell particularly well, the car is more about brand prestige than sales numbers.
Yep you can spend lot's less and get all those other cars, but that's not the point (you can get a 'better' computer for less than a Macintosh), this car is supposed to be better than those.

Considering you can go to the (wooden floored & glass walled) factory to see your can being made, they probably do some sort of uber special 'roadside assistance' (maybe like the Mclaren f1's had)

Forum Links
Forum Rules