Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Xcode: Pro-Makeover

Xcode: Pro-Makeover
jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2004, 05:27 PM

I submitted the following request to Apple's ADC feedback, and hope that anyone interested or that share my view on this would do the same. I imagine that the more requests they get the more likely it is that they will look into its implementation. With that introduction, here is my request.

Apple's "Pro-Apps" all have a beautiful pro-interface that distinguishes them from other Apple applications. Xcode is by far a "Pro-Application" and would surely benefit from such a makeover.

So if you think this is a good idea and you would like to see such a thing implemented into Xcode, please let Apple know.

Thanks;
jesse ;-)

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 10:42 PM

Almost all (all?) of the pro apps are video related, so I can't see Apple making their dev tools use the pro theme. I'd prefer they not waste time on it, since XCode has a long way to go to catch up with, say, Eclipse.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 05:38 PM

I prefer a standard interface. Hell, before making an interface change I just want the *many* serious bugs out of XCode.

qyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Hell, before making an interface change I just want the *many* serious bugs out of XCode.
Amen to that! Xcode presents me with a new frustration just about every day.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by qyn:
Amen to that! Xcode presents me with a new frustration just about every day.
Too true. A fast, Obj-C/Cocoa compatible Eclipse. Is that too much to ask? (yes, I know it is, but it bugs me that it is)

absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
I prefer a standard interface. Hell, before making an interface change I just want the *many* serious bugs out of XCode.
One of the many XCode annoyances is the nonstandard interface it currently uses. I really don't like the one dimensional view of items it presents on the right pane.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 08:20 PM

I'm not sure there'd be much point to using the ProKit interface in Xcode... the key benefits to that UI are the subdued, neutral color (which avoids distracting the eye from video content and color-sensitive work), and a few extra application-specific widgets. Xcode is a pretty boring application as far as widget needs are concerned (essentially, it's a glorified text-editor/file-browser with a few extra buttons and checkboxes for compiler settings and "make it go"), so ProKit doesn't offer much there. And since Xcode isn't a visual content-creation app, there's no special need for subdued colors (i.e. it'd be equally justifiable to say we should have subdued colors system-wide).

Personally, I'd rather see some more direct usability improvements in Xcode. It's a great improvement over PB in terms of code indexing/completion and file browsing (for files to open), but as soon as I start using it with any project of non-trivial size, I end up getting lost among all the files I've opened... in PB, my work files were all in the main window and whatever headers/documentation I opened for reference were each neatly (and automatically stacked on one side of the screen.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules