Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Loosing Connection?

Loosing Connection?
jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 01:22 AM

I'm experiencing an odd problem that I hope you all can help me figure out. Whenever I leave a torrent running overnight, or a P2P client such as mlmac running overnight, when I wake in the morning my machine has lost it's connection. What's worse, this is only happening on my two Panther rigs, my XP rig doesn't experience the same symptoms. The only way for me to remedy this is to unplug and then plug back in my cable modem, and then do the same for my router. I don't think it has anything to do with the router or cable modem because both are Linksys and not some pos generic thing, and I don't have the same problem if I leave a torrent running overnight on my XP rig.
Any ideas as to what would cause this? I am forwarding my ports properly in my router for the P2P and torrents, so I've ruled that out. I'm really baffled on this one.
Thanks;
jesse ;-)

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 09:57 AM

I use BT a lot also and have noticed some really strange stuff when using it, especially since installing 10.3.2. When I hit speeds over 50KiB/s my system slows to a crawl and the audio becomes garbled for a few seconds. Also, this is more general and not related to the BT client, but, I've had problems where my system will just lose AirPort reception for no reason.
Here's my setup: TiBook G4 upstairs (wireless), 1 PC upstairs (wired/router), 1 PC downstairs (wireless feed from AirPort). I'll go away from my computer and when I come back I've lost all Internet connections and my signal strength is gone but it says I'm still on the network. Weird? Yeah....
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Forum Links
Forum Rules