Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Help with Dev Tools for a non dev,

Help with Dev Tools for a non dev,
webb3201
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 01:27 PM

Hello, I installed dev tools this week on my PB 667 DVI (768mb , 30gb) in anticipation of trying Apple's X11 implementation.

I downloaded the latest version and the install went well initially.

The evening of the install, I noticed that my free memory numbers fell to 9mb and the system was pounding the hard drive.

Also, my custom docks and interfaces went away and the actual Aqua gui (menu bar)was flickering on and off.

I ran macjanitor, fixed permission, ran anti virus, checked disks and all I could think of beore reinstalling the OS.

has anyone ever seen anything like this? I want to try the developer package again, but I am a bit nervous.

PS, I have installed the Dev package on three other machines with no problems
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 04:43 PM

Are you sure you waited for the installation to finish? It pounds the HD quite badly by creating all the prefix files and doing all the prebinding. That's the only thing I can think of, as it doesn't make any processes run in the background.

Perhaps if you looked at top to see what was going you'd have more of an idea what the problem was...

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 04:45 PM

I actually let the install complete while I was away, so I did not interrupt.

All I saw on top was the SystemUI flash from 0 to 20 with my blinking gui.

As I have everything of importance backed up, I am going to give it another go today.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

int69h
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 06:14 PM

That is really odd. I've been using the dev tools since DP4 on far less capable hardware, and I've never run into anything like that. Perhaps this behavior after installing the dev tools was just a coincidence?

If it happens again, launch Process Viewer, sort the columns based on %memory, select the topmost process, click on the "more info" triangle, and tell us the virtual memory used by that process. All of that grinding could be caused by some program with an awful leak that is causing your system to swap.

Let us know what you find out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules