Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Macally BTMouse Jr. -- slow update rate?

Macally BTMouse Jr. -- slow update rate?
opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 11:47 PM

Based on recommendations from this forum, I just got the Macally BTMouse Jr. today, and I am disappointed with its performance. I don't think this would be considered its "tracking speed," as the speed of the pointer moving across the screen is fine, but the update rate is lacking -- i.e., the "frame rate" of the mouse, or the number of updates on screen when moving from point A to point B. In this respect, it's perhaps comparable to a PC serial mouse, or worse (which updates at maybe 30fps) -- not good after you're used to the smooth 90fps+ updates of a USB mouse. I switched back and forth between the Macally, the trackpad on my PowerBook, and a Microsoft optical USB mouse, and there's definitely a difference.

So, is this just an inherent limitation of Bluetooth (or even all wireless) mice?

Dimitri
Jun 29, 2004, 01:13 AM

No. It can really vary. I tried wireless MS and Logitech mice with my mac and the Logitech MX700 was the smoothest tracker of them all. ALMOST perfect. The MS one wasn't bad either. The BT mice (Apple and MX900) were on par with the MS one as long as no other BT devices were being used, otherwise the tracking degraded slightly.

You may want to make sure firmware and drivers are up to date for both your mouse and BT.

opti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Dimitri:
You may want to make sure firmware and drivers are up to date for both your mouse and BT.
I know the BT driver is up to date. I just checked the macally site to make sure, and there is no firmware for the mouse... I doubt firmware would ever be updated for something like a mouse (it doesn't even have a way to receive it!)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by opti:
I know the BT driver is up to date. I just checked the macally site to make sure, and there is no firmware for the mouse... I doubt firmware would ever be updated for something like a mouse (it doesn't even have a way to receive it!)
Not totally true. Apple issued a firmware update for their BT mouse some months ago.

opti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Not totally true. Apple issued a firmware update for their BT mouse some months ago.
Oh, that's weird. I wouldn't think updating that would be possible. So what did the firmware update do?

In any case, I didn't see any sort of update for the Macally mouse.

PLin
Jul 9, 2004, 03:24 AM

I thought the tracking of the Macally BTMouseJr was better than most wireless mice I've used. I bought a Kensington PocketMouse Pro Wireless last year, but the tracking was so bad that I never ended up using the mouse. It was especially bad for 1st person shooter games. I also have the Apple Bluetooth Mouse and found the tracking to be bad. I brought my BTMouseJr to the local Apple Store to show it off, and all of the employees who tried it agreed that the tracking was much better than the Apple mouse. I also have a friend who has the BTMouseJr. He is a really big gamer, and he has no problems using it for games.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 08:29 AM

Oh, that's weird. I wouldn't think updating that would be possible. So what did the firmware update do?

In any case, I didn't see any sort of update for the Macally mouse.

the firmware update is for bluetooth in general (should be available in software update...follow the instructions carefully!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

opti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by PLin:
I thought the tracking of the Macally BTMouseJr was better than most wireless mice I've used. I bought a Kensington PocketMouse Pro Wireless last year, but the tracking was so bad that I never ended up using the mouse. It was especially bad for 1st person shooter games. I also have the Apple Bluetooth Mouse and found the tracking to be bad. I brought my BTMouseJr to the local Apple Store to show it off, and all of the employees who tried it agreed that the tracking was much better than the Apple mouse. I also have a friend who has the BTMouseJr. He is a really big gamer, and he has no problems using it for games.
I believe you posted the experience at the Apple store in the other Bluetooth mouse thread, correct? Your praise of the mouse was one of the primary reasons I bought it. But I took it to the store where I bought it to test side-by-side (along with a USB mouse for comparison), and I found the opposite to be true -- the Apple bluetooth mouse was quite smooth, while the Macally skipped along! I talked to one of the employees later and he agreed with me. I don't know how our experiences could be completely opposite, unless the one I bought was defective somehow, but I doubt that.

I returned the Macally mouse and bought a Logitech MX510, due to the lack of other options for Bluetooth. I have to sacrifice in portability and convenience, but it is a good mouse, with no tracking problems obviously.

PLin
Jul 12, 2004, 01:13 AM

I believe you posted the experience at the Apple store in the other Bluetooth mouse thread, correct? Your praise of the mouse was one of the primary reasons I bought it. But I took it to the store where I bought it to test side-by-side (along with a USB mouse for comparison), and I found the opposite to be true -- the Apple bluetooth mouse was quite smooth, while the Macally skipped along! I talked to one of the employees later and he agreed with me. I don't know how our experiences could be completely opposite, unless the one I bought was defective somehow, but I doubt that.

I returned the Macally mouse and bought a Logitech MX510, due to the lack of other options for Bluetooth. I have to sacrifice in portability and convenience, but it is a good mouse, with no tracking problems obviously.
That is strange that our experiences are different. Maybe the firmware that Apple released for their mouse helped with the tracking, and the employees at the local store here never tried an updated mouse.

I know that updating the Bluetooth firmware of the PowerBook also improved tracking with the Apple mouse and maybe others as well.

I have both paired right now, and to be honest, I can't really tell a difference between the tracking of each mouse. They both seem to be just as smooth. Much of this is subjective though.

However, you are the first person I know of who didn't like the Macally mouse. As I had briefly mentioned in my previous post, I gave one to my friend, and he is a big fan of first person shooter games. He has abandoned many wireless mice, since most aren't responsive enough to be able to use in these types of games, and he absolutely loves using the Macally. In fact, we went to a LAN gaming party this weekend, and we played for about 8 hours straight even using a Macally mouse that was getting low on battery.

Peter

bitjumper
Jul 17, 2004, 12:30 PM

Hi all,

I bought the Macally BT Mouse Jr this week. As far as tracking and use, it's just fine. Just as good as the Apple BT mouse. With each side-by-side, I'm prefering the Macally.

But my problem is that it doesn't seem to turn off. After a day I return home and find the batteries dead.

I must be missing something, what?

Erik

PLin
Jul 18, 2004, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by bitjumper:
Hi all,

I bought the Macally BT Mouse Jr this week. As far as tracking and use, it's just fine. Just as good as the Apple BT mouse. With each side-by-side, I'm prefering the Macally.

But my problem is that it doesn't seem to turn off. After a day I return home and find the batteries dead.

I must be missing something, what?

Erik
That's really odd. Mine turns off:
1. after a period (5-10 minutes?) of no use
2. when you turn off Bluetooth on the PowerBook
3. when you sleep or shutdown the PowerBook (essentially turning off Bluetooth)

There was one occasion when it didn't seem to want to turn off after I put the PowerBook to sleep, but I simply woke the PowerBook and slept it again, and the mouse then turned off.

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules