Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Excel Progam not working on Mac

Excel Progam not working on Mac
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2005, 11:41 AM

Hi,

My professor of design of machinery elements have us a program in Excel to help us design spring componenst (Which can be very tedious and that is why we use the program) My proble is that the program has some check boxes and buttons to reset and run the program but they seen not to work on my Mac. The programs works fine on a PC but I don't want to go a computer lab every time I need to use this thing.

Anyone knows why this is? Or how to make this program work on a Mac. It is just a simple (yet complex) Excel spreed sheet. If I can get some help for this it would be great.

Thanks.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 05:24 PM

Some aspects of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) which runs alongside Excel are not available on the Mac. What is most likely happening here is that your professor has used ActiveX controls (buttons etc) which will not work on the Mac. They just appear as bitmap images. He/she could have used buttons from the Forms toolbar which would have worked on both platforms.

The only way to remedy this is to re-write some of the spreadsheet code. If it's just a few simple things, it might be quite easy to do, but it depends if you are familiar with VBA or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules