Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini entertainment center?

Mac mini entertainment center?
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2005, 04:27 PM

Hi,

I just moved into a new place and I have no TV, DVD player or any sort of entertainment system. How ever I have extra speakers and an extra screen and was thinking about buying a Mac Mini and have it as a second computer but far most as a DVD player and a way to stream my music from my main computer to the living room. So far I have always watch DVD on my main computer and it is great but now I have a couch and a nicer living area to relax and watch DVDs. PLUS! I I used to also watch TV on my main computer with the help of Plextor’s ConvertX (which I recommend) and I could hook this up to the Mac Mini and have kinda like a TiVo thing there.

Anyone out there with a Mac Mini in their entertainment center?

Other concerns I have is buying a TV and hooking up the Mac Mini to it how well that works to watch DVDs and how well it would work with the ConvertX.

Suggestions, comments appreciated.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2005, 03:40 AM

I can't answer everything, but I do know the ATI Remote Wonder works great with the Apple DVD player, so that you can have a real remote control for things. It can also control iTunes and a few other things.

I'm hoping to get my mini by the end of the month to put into my entertainment center. Plans for now are to have it be the DVD player/web terminal in the living room. It will probably also replace my aging Cube as the iTunes music server.
<This space under renovation>

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 01:11 AM

I have my Mini hooked up to a 30" LCD TV through DVI and it looks and works great. I use the DLink USB blue tooth adapter w/Apple BT keyboard and Kensington BT mouse. I started with the eyeTV Wonder USB, which worked great but the Mini can't record very high quality. I replaced it with the eyeTV 200 which is a firewire device and the eyeTV software along with titantv web site is very cool to use. The LCD TV seems to work the best at 1024x768 even though it can go to higher resolutions.

Good luck and have fun
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules