Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trouble reading Pictures

Trouble reading Pictures
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 10:10 AM

Hello,

I have a friend that just switch from PC to Mac, mostly because I convinced her that apple was the way to go and she was REALLY frustrated with her PC.

Well my friend has a boat load of pictures on her PC (she is a photographer) and she is having trouble viewing, importing and reading the pics from her PC on her new Mac. There area couple of scenarios in which she has run into problems.

1. She has an SD card reader on which she put pics from her PC and then tried to read the SD card on the Mac and card did not appear on the Mac.

2. She has a CD that a friend have her with pics from a trip and when she puts the CD on the Mac the computer sees the CD and can open in and sees the picture files (.jpg) but she says that when she tries to open them of transfer them to her Mac (drag and drop) the computer says the "flies and not readable"

I had never encountered this kind of problems, specially, with .jpg on my Mac ...I have not been able to go to her house yet and tinker with it, but if I do I would like to know any suggestions that might solve this issue.

The other thing is that she asked me the best way to transfer all of there stuff (Music, Documents, Pictures) from her PC to her Mac any suggestions? I was thinking of using a router and making a small network. The thing I that I don't know how to do that on the PC. But I know that on the sharing preferences there is the option of "sharing with windows computers" and I have been on windows networks with my Mac before.

Thanks,
( Last edited by jorgem4; Aug 29, 2007 at 11:18 AM. )

ibook_steve
Aug 29, 2007, 01:35 PM

You don't mention which Mac or OS she is using. An SD card reader should work fine back to OS 9, I believe. There could be something wrong with the CD (or DVD) drive. As a photographer, iPhoto or Aperture will be her best friends. For everything else you mention, iLife is certainly the way to go. A Firewire connection (target disk mode) would be the fastest way to transfer everything, though it could be done over the network. Just enable file sharing on the Mac and the Sharing preferences will indicate how other computers should connect.

Steve

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 03:02 PM

Oh no this is on a brand new MacBook. 10.4.10 i belive. She says that the CD will work fine on the PC and she can view the Pics but on the Mac she can see the CD open the CD but can't read the pic files...it is very strange she ays that they are .jpg....as for the card reader I have never tried one so I am not sure if it would work as a USB jump drive is what I thought !?!

Can you do target mode between PC and Mac?

Thanks for the help.

ibook_steve
Aug 29, 2007, 03:05 PM

Does iPhoto see the CD? There's something weird about this disk. A current MacBook can read any disk. Do other disks have the same problem?

Of course target disk mode works between PC and Mac, as long as the PC has a Firewire connection, of course.

Steve

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 08:45 AM

An update...she email me last night with the message that the MacBook gives her:

"The disk you inserted was not readable with this computer"

Sounds like the CD will only work on a PC...sad...I thought that Apple computers were past this point...any other ideas? I though of just getting the pic onto a PC and then transfer them.

ibook_steve
Aug 30, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
An update...she email me last night with the message that the MacBook gives her:

"The disk you inserted was not readable with this computer"

Sounds like the CD will only work on a PC...sad...I thought that Apple computers were past this point...any other ideas? I though of just getting the pic onto a PC and then transfer them.
Like I said, there's no such thing as a CD that will only work on a PC. This disk may have been burned incorrectly or not closed (multi-session) on whatever burning software was used. Does the disk show up in Disk Utility?

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules