Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Netflix "Watch Now"

Netflix "Watch Now"
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2007, 08:23 PM

My fellow Mac/Netflix users...

I have been a loyal and long time Netflix user and inspite of the tempting deals Blockbuster offers with their movies by the mail service I have stuck to Netflix.

Today I discover the "Watch Now" feature from Netflix (Whcih is the option of watching movies thru the internet at no additional cost! meaning more movies less waiting time!) I strongly believe that this feature will give Netflix the edge again and be able to fight Blockbuster on the movies by mail renting system....however I am sad to say that the feature does not work on Apple computers WTF!

So bottom line any Mac/Netflix users please drop a word to costumer service in the Netflix page and let the voice of the MacUsers be heard!

Thanks.

Lava Lamp Freak
Apr 23, 2007, 08:47 PM

Bootcamp

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2007, 09:29 PM

I have yet to actually want to watch something from Watch Now... it's all ancient or not very popular.

Of the 60+ disks in my queue, one is available in Watch Now.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2007, 10:28 PM

Plus, you need over 1 GB of free disk space...which I don't have on my Boot Camp partition. But, like mduell wrote, the available selection is pretty bad.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Of the 60+ disks in my queue, one is available in Watch Now.
Yes, but now you can take Deliverance out of your queue and replace it with something else, now. How many times do you really want to watch it, anyway?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2007, 11:28 PM

It's up and coming. It is a plus to my fave Netflix.

1 GB?!? Geez, wtf kinda space can't leave gig?

Ham Sandwich
Apr 24, 2007, 10:09 AM

I use XP under VMWare on my MacBook to use the Watch Now stuff and it works pretty good. I wish there was a native way but in a Windows world, you make do.

And, I have found a lot to watch. Lots of interesting documentaries that I probably wouldn't of caught otherwise.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2007, 10:30 AM

Do they stream it or you download it with some sort of DMR?

If they stream what kind of speeds are needed?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2007, 11:16 AM

They say they are working on making it Mac compatible…

-Owl

Lava Lamp Freak
Apr 24, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
Do they stream it or you download it with some sort of DMR?

If they stream what kind of speeds are needed?
It streams at a different quality depending on your connection speed. At home I get the best speed, according to the meter displayed on the page, but at work I get the lowest. At home it looks close to DVD quality to me. At work it isn't bad, but it isn't as good as it is at home. On my MBP it takes about a minute or a little longer when running under Bootcamp for a movie to begin streaming. I was able to watch a full movie, 12 Monkeys, without any interruption in the play. It streamed without rebuffering from beginning to end. On a friends machine, a new Dell XPS, movies load instantly. It is possible that the difference is the speed of his cable connection rather than the computer, though. I should take my MBP to his house to test.

The movie selection will grow. They just hired the guy who started ReplayTV to lead their new Internet TV division.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Plus, you need over 1 GB of free disk space...which I don't have on my Boot Camp partition. But, like mduell wrote, the available selection is pretty bad.
How do you have LESS than 1 GB free in your windows partition? I don't have a windows partition at the moment, but if I did, I would make it at LEAST 50GB. Granted I have 733GB of FREE disk space, just Internally, and another 320GB externally, but still.....

Go ahead! Delete this post mods! I don't care! People who spend $5000 on computer systems should be able to brag. That's the mac spirit!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
How do you have LESS than 1 GB free in your windows partition? I don't have a windows partition at the moment, but if I did, I would make it at LEAST 50GB. Granted I have 733GB of FREE disk space, just Internally, and another 320GB externally, but still.....

Go ahead! Delete this post mods! I don't care! People who spend $5000 on computer systems should be able to brag. That's the mac spirit!
Well I very rarely use Windows, so I gave it 15 gigs. Upgrading to Vista took most of that, so I think I have about 3.5 gigs free. Having less than a gig isn't completely unreasonable.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2007, 06:28 PM

I have seem people C drive with less than 500MB on it. Meanwhile, I did try 'Watch Now' at my work PC, it's just okay.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Well I very rarely use Windows, so I gave it 15 gigs. Upgrading to Vista took most of that, so I think I have about 3.5 gigs free. Having less than a gig isn't completely unreasonable.
But why give it only 15 gigs? If you had a decent amount of hard drive space, you'd give it at least 50GB. The only reason you'd give it less is if you have less than an optimal amount of storage space. Hence, in my life, my situation with hard drives and storage is in a better place then yours is.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2007, 08:12 PM

But why give it only 15 gigs? If you had a decent amount of hard drive space, you'd give it at least 50GB. The only reason you'd give it less is if you have less than an optimal amount of storage space. Hence, in my life, my situation with hard drives and storage is in a better place then yours is.
I have 160 gig external and internal gig drives. Enjoy this victory kid, I'm sure it means the world to you. But until a 12 page thread mocking me emerges, I'd keep your mouth shut.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2007, 08:39 PM

Well, I guess until someone releases an internal drive of that capacity for a MacBook, you'll be cooler than me.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2007, 02:56 PM

Or also cause it's not worth wasting 50GB of space for Windows? Ever think of that?

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
Or also cause it's not worth wasting 50GB of space for Windows? Ever think of that?
I disagree. If you have the space, why not?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 04:09 PM

Hence, in my life, my situation with hard drives and storage is in a better place then yours is.
And my wang is bigger than yours!

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2007, 04:18 PM

Just to get back on topic: has anyone tried running this through Parallels?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2007, 04:46 PM

Switch to Blockbuster?

Only downside I've noticed with Blockbuster is that their library isn't as fully stocked. So most of the TV show DVDs are on medium to long wait. Didn't have that problem with Netflix.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lava Lamp Freak
Apr 26, 2007, 04:46 PM

It works under Parallels, although the video quality isn't very good.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 26, 2007, 05:39 PM

Not Parallels but VMWare. Runs great on my MacBook.

RoyWagner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2007, 09:13 AM

I just recently (this month) installed Parallels and Fusion on my iMac and tested Netflix's "Watch Now". Both worked fine.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2007, 06:20 PM

I've tried it through bootcamp, it's there but never plays.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 06:37 PM

Go ahead! Delete this post mods! I don't care! People who spend THEIR MOM'S $5000 on computer systems should be able to brag. That's the mac spirit!
oh.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Run the BootCamp Assistant and just up the partition size.

Cold Warrior
Oct 5, 2007, 11:45 PM

Sometimes I felt sorry for you, but never again. You deserve all the ragging you get here.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2007, 12:05 AM

Yeah, that's pretty much what made me think the kid was a total douche. I thought he was one before. But that made him a total douche.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2007, 12:26 AM

update: i had to install wmp 11, works like a charm. still holdin out for the mac version tho.

Oh, and i'm done w/macgeek.

Forum Links
Forum Rules