Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How can I access my timemachine backup on another machine?

How can I access my timemachine backup on another machine?
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 12:01 PM

So my laptop inexplicably died and is being fixed by Apple. I happen to have an older G5 that was really only used for final cut, but has since become my main machine. Anyway, I have nothing on this machine as far as contacts and other files...how can I open up the backup on my timemachine and get the files I need?

I can select the TM drive in the Network section, which basically will lead me to what looks like a disk image...

Not much I can do after that though.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
.how can I open up the backup on my timemachine and get the files I need?
Connect the Time machine drive to your working computer. Hold the option key and click on the Time Machine icon in the menu bar and select "browse other Time Machine disks" and then navigate to your Time Machine disk.
If you were backing up to a network drive such as a Time Capsule, you need to double click on the image file on the Time Machine to mount it before this will work.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 12:13 PM

Hey that worked as advertised. Thanks for your help Chris.

Forum Links
Forum Rules