Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Not booting PB gray screen with finder icon bliking...what to do?

Not booting PB gray screen with finder icon bliking...what to do?
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 05:27 PM

A friend of mine has this problem:

Not booting PB gray screen with finder icon bliking...what to do?

He called apple care and they told him to re-install the OS. He is running Panther (I think) but for sure MacOS X.

Any other suggestions would be good. Or a procedure on the best way to get this PB healthy again. He is bringing his PB to my place to try to re-live this poor Mac. So I thought I would post this to get the help of the Apple Guru community of MacNN.

Thanks,

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2005, 05:55 PM

try turning it on holding the option key which should show you the available operating systems it found to boot off.

booting with x held down should force it to boot to os X

worst case, do an archive and install of os X. it will save his user folder, his apps, just replacing the actual os files.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 07:25 PM

mdc,

Thanks a lot for the advise. I will do so and report the results of the procedure.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 10:39 PM

I tried installing the system but when the part of selecting a destination comes on there is no HD to intall it on to. Nothing appears on the selection box.

So I opened the disk utility and in first aid the only options avalible are verify disk and repaired disk. I did a ify disk and the results are the following:

It says that first aid failed. Invalid B-tree node size
The volume needs to be repaied

Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

I also tried booting in target mode and it worked but the HD did not appear on my computer so I could not back up the files.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 11:40 PM

The blinking question mark means the machine can't find an operating system. In your case, the directory structure is hosed, so the machine can't read the volume. This could be a simple fix with Disk Warrior, but you may also have bad blocks (bad hard drive) corrupting the directory structure. If you can boot into OS 9, you can run a surface scan using Drive Setup Utility (any error here means bad hard drive). If not, Tech Tool Pro 4 does a surface scan. Disk Warrior 3 is the best for directory structure repair.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules