Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cooling fans for 17" ?

Cooling fans for 17" ?
george328
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 05:33 PM

Anyone had a chance to try this device out?

http://www.macmice.com/ibreeze.html

My laptop runs rather hot, been wondering if this will help cool it down.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 10:17 PM

I had something similar called a Cybernote Laptop Cooler, a generic fan base thing very similar to this that I bought off eBay. It did the job, but the quality of that particular unit was pretty poor. It did lower the temperature of my 15" Ti and made the internal fan run very little (this was a rev. B 667 which most people think is the hottest PB). Keep in mind however, that the base fan thing is going to make noise, perhaps greater than the noise your PB already makes. As for the benefits, I am not totally sure, I think it was more for piece of mind more than anything else, PB's are made to act as their own heatsinks due to the material properties (Ti or Al).

I was actually also looking at the iBreeze as it is the first one that I have seen that is USB powered.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 12:19 PM

This type of device is more for peace of mind than anything else. If your laptop gets too hot it will turn itself off. People complain that their laptops get too hot all the time, but if that were really the case then we would be hearing reports of laptops shutting off left and right. Just because it's too hot for your liking doesn't mean that it's so hot that it's actually doing harm to the computer itself.

george328  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 01:20 PM

Didn't know the laptops (17") would shut themselves down if the heat became detrimental to the computer. In that case, I think I'll save myself the $25.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
[stuff deleted]
If your laptop gets too hot it will turn itself off.
[stuff deleted]
How did you find out about this?

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by DekuDekuplex:
How did you find out about this?

DekuDekuplex
It's a feature of the CPU. Desktops do it too. So do Intel and AMD chips. These days I would refuse to buy a chip that didn't do this. Not sure I can give you a specific address. I know many over clocking site mention this fact.

Edit: I should mention that the computer won't go through a shutdown routine if it gets too hot. It just turns off. That means all your work would be lost. Even more reason for me to believe that we would have heard if something like this happened more often than once in a blue moon.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 01:59 PM

MacMice are rip-off merchants. See the PowerPerch G5 et al.

benb
Jul 2, 2003, 03:25 PM

Why would you rather listen to 2 fans in a stand instead of 2 fans in a PowerBook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules