Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anybody else hate the new AluBook ports on the side??

Anybody else hate the new AluBook ports on the side??
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 06:25 PM

I would love a new 15" AluBook to replace my 667 TiBook DVI machine; however, I am holding back for one really silly reason....I hate the ports on the sides of the new PowerBook! I mean, I have all my wires and cords now behind my TiBook monitor (since the ports are behind) where I can't see them and if I get this new AluBook then I'll have hubs, cords, etc. etc. all in plain view and not hidden. I know it's picky; however, does anybody else share this view what-so-ever?

winwintoo
Sep 29, 2003, 06:37 PM

I have a iBook with the ports on the side. I sit in my recliner with the iBook on my lap - it is a "lap"top after all - and if the ports were on the back, the cords etc. would be jamming into my legs and getting bent whenever I move.

On the side, they are out of the way.

I have an Airport Extreme base station with my printer plugged into it so unless I want to use a mouse, I have nothing plugged into the iBook.

Maybe my needs are simple - I do PhotoShop work and develop web pages and applications.

m

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 06:38 PM

I find them quite useful if they were on the right side.

At the moment i'm using an ibook with a printer to the right of me along with a memory card hub which plugs into a usb port as well.
On my left is my ipod, external speakers, mouse hub (MX700) and my network cable.

At the moment i have to wrap the printer cable around the back of the ibook as well as the memory card hub.

However if and when i reorder the 15" i will have to re-arrange my desk because the network port is now on the right.

So while it cures some issues (USB on each side great idea) it also swaps ports around for others.

But getting the 15" would solve both the usb problems i have a replace it with the network cable.

Annoying yes but adaptable also yes.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 06:45 PM

I always hated the metal hatch and cable out the back of the TiBook. I can't wait to have ports on the side - Friday I will!

todrain
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 07:31 PM

I had an iBook before I got my TI, and the side ports weren't that bad....

Personally, i do prefer the ports on the back, since they are not visible when I'm using the machine, and i rarely plug anything in. And while the door is a little annoying, i do like that it keeps any link in my bag from getting into the ports.

It's all personal preference. If I was buying a powerbook today I wouldn't hold back just because of the ports.

Ti X
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 07:34 PM

I liked the clean look of having the ports on the rear, but

1.it was a pain in the ass
2.we have more ports now
3.we have a much better hinge design
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 07:54 PM

I love the side ports! I especially like the right & left-hand side USB ports.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 07:55 PM

Try telling people that side ports are bad when they have to unplug and replug cabling on a frequent basis. Even if you're uber-wireless (Airport, Bluetooth mouse/keyboard) you still have to plug in the power and perhaps a media device of some sort (a camera or an iPod, for example). Having to lower the display and reach around to the back isn't the most convenient thing ever.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 29, 2003, 08:12 PM

I had an iBook and now have a TiBook.

I much prefer the stuff at the back on the TiBook.

But it's just personal preference.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 08:22 PM

I am a lefty and moved from a ti to al and I definitely miss the back ports, even with the hard-to-see-where-I-am-plugging-into-hassle. I hate that the cables are always visible and my hand naturally wants to go to that side to rest and encounters the cables. The thing I hate the most is the positioning of the lock slot in the front of the side. When the lock is in place when I have to work in my on-campus studio I find the position cumbersome and a hassle. Most every laptop I have seen has the lock slot in the rear where it should be, but the al doesn't.

Still love the 12" and wouldn't give it up for that reason, but side ports are definitely an annoyance.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

dcsmrgun
Sep 29, 2003, 08:23 PM

The only advantage I saw to the ports being on the rear, is that it made a docking station more feasible. I'm not a big fan of the side-docking stations. Not that it matters, as I've yet to see a dock for an apple that will impress me.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 09:09 PM

I went from a TiPB docking station to a PB17. I think the rear ports can be elegant and very easy to use once you have the routine down.

There was a nice post here pointing out that if you 'tie' the cords together, attaching them takes no longer than docking.

I ran my power cord thru a rock with a hole in it, the end stays on my office desk.

I add the Cinema display and its USB plug, and I'm all set.

Side ports seem more annoying when in laptop mode, too. I use a mouse, and connect everything on my left side (power, USB, modem). Works, but the back connectors were easier on the legs.

I think the real answer is the side ports work, but some may have found the rear ports useful, too.

Waveman
Sep 29, 2003, 09:12 PM

I've had three PowerBooks (170, 5300, Lombard) with ports on the back. I was forever fumbling trying to plug stuff in - I love the side ports on the Albooks. However, I can see that rear ports might be better for some.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 09:16 PM

I had an iBook before I got my PB, so I'm used to side ports. That said, I didn't use my iBook as my main computer -- only exclusively as a mobile laptop.

Now that I use my PowerBook exclusively as my only computer, it's about 50/50 in take-it-with-me mode and sitting-on-my-desk-hooked-to-a-Cinema-display mode.

I've got it sitting up on an iCurve next to my display and I have to say that it would look quite messy if my TiBook had side ports. True, side ports make it easier to get at cables but when I'm sitting down at the desk, I'm not constantly plugging and unplugging things. So it's not really an issue for me.

When I'm mobile, I don't have anything plugged in except occasionally the power cord, so it's also not an issue then.

All in all, I would prefer rear ports I think for the times that I have it on my desk... but this wouldn't prevent me from getting an Al.

I'm just waiting for Rev. B though... I just got this TiBook a few months ago and have had no real problems with it so I'm reluctant to jump on the Rev. A train right now.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:20 PM

I have to admit my big hangup on getting the Alubook was that the ports were on the side. I loved the ports in the back concealed but I'm over it and will adapt.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 09:21 PM

I'm torn between the two. I'm very much about keeping my desk clean and the fact that you can see all my wires running around my desk is murder. At the same time though, it sure as heck is a lot easier to plug everything in and the hinge design is boderline genius even though it's so simple. Basically, I agree with both Ti X and Dennis the Phantom Menace. In the end though, I'd rather have them in the back. I like my desk to be organzied, and I could've just got one of those book ends things which would've made plugging in a one time affair. Still, it's a pretty close call.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 09:26 PM

I personally think the vastly improved hinge design is well worth any convenience sacrificed by having a docking station or certain positionings on your lap. As for aesthetic appeal, get over it. This computer may be nice to look at, but in the end it's a tool, not a piece of art. I always hated the ports in the back anyway. I always ended up having to pickup the laptop and contort it and myself to plug my stuff in. Now it's cake. As for junk getting in there, there is a company out there that makes rubber plugs that keep them nice and clean (sorry, I don't have the link because it hasn't been a problem for me).

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I would love a new 15" AluBook to replace my 667 TiBook DVI machine; however, I am holding back for one really silly reason....I hate the ports on the sides of the new PowerBook! I mean, I have all my wires and cords now behind my TiBook monitor (since the ports are behind) where I can't see them and if I get this new AluBook then I'll have hubs, cords, etc. etc. all in plain view and not hidden. I know it's picky; however, does anybody else share this view what-so-ever?
I agree with you. I don't like the ports on the side either. The ports on the back give the TiBook and very clean and efficient look. I regret that I didn't purchase the 1 GHz TiBook when I had the chance as my 800 MHz TiBook is starting to show it's age.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 11:42 PM

I posted a poll about this a while back. Most people seemed to like the exposed ports, but I agree that I will miss the clean look when I upgrade from my TiBook 400.

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 05:45 AM

Can't please everyone, we all like different things--but I do like the new ports. Especially the lack of a door.

I like them all on ONE side better than two... but it's hard to say that gives the 12" the advantage. It achieves that by having fewer ports!
nagromme

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2003, 07:40 AM

Wow, this has turned into a very interesting thread...I got alot more response then I was expecting. I am glad I am not the only one who misses the back ports; however, I can totally see the advantages as well to having side ports as people have shown. I am just too used to my current set-up I suppose...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 08:12 AM

I like the back ports on my Ti867... (and the dust cover!)

I hated the side ports on my 12" PB...

Just me I guess, but I think the rear ports and integrated cover was just so more aesthetically pleasing, and for me more practical than uncovered side ports.

Also, I type sometimes with my hand over the side of the machine and I was forever cursing the side cables... they were just a real hassle to me.

Oh well, I am going to be happy with my Ti until the Rev B G5 Powerbook (!), so I guess my input is kind of worthless as I have no interest in a 15" Alu.

Peace,

Marc

Loopydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 05:32 PM

The side ports are a big worry for me. I use a Ti667 at work currently, hooked to a BookEndz port-replicating dock. When the lease is up on my machine (in about a year), I imagine I'll be looking at possibly a slightly modified vsn. of the Al book. The dock kinda sucks: It can take a real hefty push to get all the ports hooked up, especially Ethernet, and the Firewire port on the dock has never worked. Having said that, I prefer it to having to unplug the monitor cable, the USB hub cable, the USB keyboard and mouse, the monitor cable, the power cable, and the Ethernet cable, only to come in the next morning and plug them all back in again. One big shove is better than the annoying task of fiddling around with a buch of cords at the beginning and end of each day. Having all those ports and cords point backwards makes a really positive difference in available desk space.

Now they went and stuck 'em all on the side.

So, in the future, my dock will be useless. Not only that, all the cords will be sticking out of the side, into my desk space, instead of dangling off the back where they belong. Does anyone at Apple think of this stuff?

My boss has ditched the Mac and now uses a Thinkpad. The thing is fast and has a beautiful docking station with a quick and easy vertical docking port (not some cheezy port-replicator like the BookEndz). I have loved having a notebook that I can use on my desk easily at work (full-sized keyboard, big flat-panel monitor) and then take home with me for stuff I can do on my couch. Now Apple goes and changes everything in such a way as to completely screw my deskpace and make any convenient docking arrangement pretty much impossible. If they would simply incorporate a vertical port for a dock into the design, I wouldn't give two craps where they stuck the USB and Firewire ports, but since they split the ports up on two sides of the book (something wrong with at least putting them all on ONE side???), I can't see how a reasonable docking solution is available for me.

What the hell does Apple want me to do, anyway?

Yeah, I don't like the Al 15". Besides being about 50% slower than it should be by now, they dinged the battery life and fuxored the port arrangement. Nice going, Jobs and Co.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Loopydude:
Yeah, I don't like the Al 15". Besides being about 50% slower than it should be by now, they dinged the battery life and fuxored the port arrangement. Nice going, Jobs and Co.
Troll.

I use my PowerBook G5 15" at school and work everyday and it doesn't bother me one bit. It takes 30 second to unplug and replug all of the cords. It also takes only one inch on each side of the laptop for the cords... that beats the hell out of the old way, where we had to bother with that ridiculous door, and unplugging an ethernet cord took 15 minutes because there wasn't room for it. It looked prettier with the ports on the back, but it just wasn't functional.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by nstehle:
Troll.

I use my PowerBook G5 15" at school and work everyday and it doesn't bother me one bit. It takes 30 second to unplug and replug all of the cords. It also takes only one inch on each side of the laptop for the cords... that beats the hell out of the old way, where we had to bother with that ridiculous door, and unplugging an ethernet cord took 15 minutes because there wasn't room for it. It looked prettier with the ports on the back, but it just wasn't functional.
Don't call him a troll, he has a worthy comment which should be taken on merit. He HAS spent money on a port replicator (i just checked the price as well, not cheap) and i can see what he is trying to say about the new laptops, how would you make a port replicator now for the 15" or the 17"?

The only way you could do it would be to raise it off the desk or create a huge seat for it to slot in and have 2 huge plastic cushions on either side of the machine to encase the replicators.

This is interesting because i'm still undecided for buying a 12" or a 15", and he just threw me towards the 12" somewhat more.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

mosch
Sep 30, 2003, 06:00 PM

With my AlBook i can easily reach the ports to plug things in when I need to, without issue. I don't need to spin the laptop to plug anything in. Plugging accessories in while using a TiBook on a plane was always a pain.

Additionally, when I actually use it on my lap, the cables drape neatly over the side of the chair and out of the way, instead of running down my legs.

Most of all though, I like how the new hinge design (impossible with rear ports) makes it fit better on seat-back tray tables, especially for those times when I'm flying cattle class, and the person in front of me decides to recline.

Lastly, nobody has ever looked at my laptop and said "man, those ports sure are ugly", though I have gotten quite a few comments like"that's a really nice piece of kit" and "wow, that's a good looking computer".

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 06:02 PM

I think that's probably taking it a bit far

People are entitled to their own opinions, and there's nothing wrong with voicing them.

There's something very wrong with your ethernet jack if it takes you 15 minutes to take it out. I can see how the ports on the side must save you time throughout the week</tongue_in_cheek>

I'm keen on both ways of having the ports, for completely different reasons. Neither bothers me enough to buy one over the other.

Originally posted by nstehle:
Troll.

Loopydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 06:07 PM

I'm not being a Troll here, I'm saying I don't like the new design. My issue is desk space and how it's best used. When you get out of college and get to claw your way up to middle management like a good-sized chunk of us, you realize pretty damn fast that desk space is a premium, and lack of clutter is highly desireable. Ports on the back was easy and saved me time. Losing time and space because some genius in Cupertino thinks Powerbooks are only for the lounge-chair set makes me irate.

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 06:12 PM

Does anyone at Apple think of this stuff?
Yes, they do.

As mosch has just pointed out - a laptop is not solely for desk use. It also has to be used on planes, trains and in cars where space at the back is limited rather than space at the sides - hence the decision to move the ports. It makes perfect sense to me, even though I do appreciate your need for a "portable desktop machine" - one that moves between home and work. I'm sure that you can live with having a few wires coming out of the side of your laptop.

For example, on a plane - you want to plug in your portable HD (or iPod, or business card reader). Would you rather a) plug it in, or b) pick your laptop up, turn it round, fumble in the dark for the right port and then plug it in?? I'd go for, erm... a)!

True, a reasonable docking solution isn't available to you, but I'm sure for the price of a high end PB, you could buy an iBook, a 10 Gb iPod (or even a USB memory stick) and an eMac, which achieves exactly the same as your PowerBook. You would be able to work on the eMac at work, the iBook on the couch and transfer easily between the 2 using the iPod.

Meh.
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 06:27 PM

I'm not being a Troll here, I'm saying I don't like the new design. My issue is desk space and how it's best used. When you get out of college and get to claw your way up to middle management like a good-sized chunk of us, you realize pretty damn fast that desk space is a premium, and lack of clutter is highly desireable. Ports on the back was easy and saved me time. Losing time and space because some genius in Cupertino thinks Powerbooks are only for the lounge-chair set makes me irate.
Desk space is already at a premium. I work 2 jobs and go to school. My desk usually has 5 or 6 books on it, speakers, printer, laptop, cables, mouse, and stacks of papers which sometimes reach 2 feet tall..... That said, 2 inches isn't going to hurt me. If it does you, I strongly suggest a change in work habits......

And anyway, I don't have room on my desk to spin my 'book around and plug in USB devices and such... that would take a LOT more space than the cables do.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 06:39 PM

dude they are more accesible who cares you know. who wants to reach too the back of the power book what a pain.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Loopydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 11:30 PM

I think what some are failing to grasp here is that having the ports on the back allowed a very space-efficient and time-efficient docking solution. If I had to reach in the back and unplug every little thing I'd think ports on the back were asinine too. But the dock spares me from all that, though not exactly elegantly.

I've used my PB on planes a number of times, but never had the need to plug anything into it except maybe some headphones. Sensibly, the headphone jack is on the side.

I'll say it again: Ports on the side would be no problemo if they didn't (especially in their new configuration, split as they are on two sides of the Powerbook) preclude docking altogether. Here's a radical thought: Put the ports on the side, BUT, put a dedicated docking port either on the back or bottom that allows one an easy docking solution. Like I said, my boss' Thinkpad has preciselly that. If Apple would implement THAT strategy, I would be so overjoyed you'd never call me a Troll again. I don't WANT a Thinkpad because I don't want Windows. What I want is MacOS in a better-designed notebook. The Thinkpad has all the ports I need, plus a dead-easy, compact, and elegant docking station that works great.

Why can't a Powerbook have that?

todrain
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 11:42 PM

...Here's a radical thought: Put the ports on the side, BUT, put a dedicated docking port either on the back or bottom that allows one an easy docking solution. ...
This was exactly what i was thinking while reading this thread. i wonder how much something like that would cost apple to put in every PowerBook? Maybe they could make up for it by selling the dock themselves?

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 03:18 AM

Why not just buy the 12"?

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 05:08 AM

I love the fact they moved them, the one thing they did was paint the ports to match, and that is awesome..

The doors are made to break and look ugly with time, and really, *shrug* I don't see the big deal.

The one thing that hung me up wasn't actually the port location but the fact on the wide laptops the cd drive is on the front and not on the side. Think about this, you're sitting back, relaxing, want to stick a cd in, have to lift up the laptop and feed it in....

While if the drive was on the side it would just slide right in. While you loose some ports, this is where the 12" wins. (but you could still fit the lock and USB ports on the cd side, I imagine)

:shrug: who cares. It could be a PC laptop, those ahve ports EVERYWHERE including the front.
Aloha

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by Ti X:
I liked the clean look of having the ports on the rear, but

1.it was a pain in the ass
2.we have more ports now
3.we have a much better hinge design
Ditto!

Forum Links
Forum Rules