Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Quality small two-button mouse

Quality small two-button mouse
cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 07:01 PM

Any suggestions on said mice? My roommate last year had an easily-portable desktop with a cool rollup keyboard and a teeny mouse. It used some sort of PC plug to interface with the computer. Is there anywhere I can find a small two-button USB mouse?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 07:06 PM

Well, Kensington makes a small mouse with a cord that retracts into the mouse's body:

http://www.kensington.com/html/1211.html

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 09:07 PM

I'm sure there are smaller ones, but I have a Microsoft Notebook Mouse that I really like. Two buttons with scrollwheel. It feels very light, but nice quality for its size. You can see one here: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&catoid=-10264

It should be mentioned that for some reason MS didn't make it compatible with the advanced features of their Intellipoint software.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 09:12 PM

as mentioned before
i have this one:
http://www.kensington.com/html/1766.html

it's great
works very very well
get it
you won't be sorry

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 09:35 PM

http://www.kensington.com/html/1867.html

This one is a tiny cute little mouse. ummmm I didn't say that.

Anyway this mouse is nice and small for a person on the go. I am probably going to get this one soon.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 12:18 PM

Are the mice from Targus any good? There's an interesting Ultra Mini mouse with a retractable cord a la cheap phone retractable handsets. Maybe buy two of those, one to keep in a bag and the other at the desk because the one in the bag will break. Looks fragile, good thing it's cheap.

The Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless looks good, especially since you can fit the USB dongle into the mouse when packing it away - one less thing to worry about.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 11:16 PM

I Like the macally junior mouse myself.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 01:39 AM

I have this one: logitech mouseman traveler. I actually don't really like it for extended use, but I did like the aesthetics of it and got it for $5 after a rebate so I can't really complain. It does match the look of the ti's and al's though.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:05 AM

I recommend this one: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

Small and short cable, otherwise standard Logitech quality.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 03:42 AM

My wife has one of the Kensington mice with the retractable usb cord. I prefer the iOpti Jr. by Macally. I have one at home and one at the office.

PeteWK

pknoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 02:29 PM

I've got this one for my 15".

The color doesn't match exactly, but it's close, and a nice little mouse. Short cable, but comes with a 3' extension.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz / 2GB / X800XT
PowerMac G3 400MHz / 896MB
PowerBook G4 1GHz / 1GB
iBook SE G3 466MHz / 576MB

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by KP*:
I'm sure there are smaller ones, but I have a Microsoft Notebook Mouse that I really like. Two buttons with scrollwheel. It feels very light, but nice quality for its size. You can see one here: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&catoid=-10264
I've got the same one and I love it too. It's perfect; small enough to fit in my bag, and just big enough to be comfortable.

It should be mentioned that for some reason MS didn't make it compatible with the advanced features of their Intellipoint software.
That's because it's not an IntelliMouse, but a Notebook Mouse But seriously, what would you use the IntelliPoint software for, other than assigning stuff to the 4th and 5th mouse buttons on the IntelliMouse, which aren't even available on the notebook mouse?
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
Are the mice from Targus any good? There's an interesting Ultra Mini mouse with a retractable cord a la cheap phone retractable handsets. Maybe buy two of those, one to keep in a bag and the other at the desk because the one in the bag will break. Looks fragile, good thing it's cheap.

The Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless looks good, especially since you can fit the USB dongle into the mouse when packing it away - one less thing to worry about.
I've got that Targus mouse you're talking about. It works great, is the perfect size, and for 10 bucks is absolutely the right price.

I love the mouse, and i absolutely love the fact that if i crush it or lose it, it was dirt cheap.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by n_lim:
I have this one: logitech mouseman traveler. I actually don't really like it for extended use, but I did like the aesthetics of it and got it for $5 after a rebate so I can't really complain. It does match the look of the ti's and al's though.

I have this mouse too and I love it! I've gone thru a lot of mouses looking for the right on and this is it for me... real metal buttons on top, great feeling scrollwheel, small and light and easy to grab with a very slick black wire that is just the right length. And the buttons are so nice and clicky (as opposed to a lot of mouses that are just clunky).

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 06:36 PM

I have heard bad things about targus not sure though if they are good or not
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Evinyatar:
But seriously, what would you use the IntelliPoint software for, other than assigning stuff to the 4th and 5th mouse buttons on the IntelliMouse, which aren't even available on the notebook mouse?
I've got a full-size IntelliPoint two-button-plus-scrollwheel mouse for my desktop, and while I don't do anything too unconventional with it, it is possible to reassign the buttons and have the scroll wheel do different things, or add functions to the click-and-scroll. I find the regular setup works best but I was just surprised to find the option not available with the Notebook Mouse, since it seems to have all the same hardware capabilities.

Forum Links
Forum Rules