Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RIGID fitted "sleeve" for PowerBook?

RIGID fitted "sleeve" for PowerBook?
nagromme
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 07:04 AM

Does anyone make a sleeve--JUST big enough for a PowerBook--that has rigid sides for some limited dent protection?

I already have big sturdy luggage--but I want something to protect my 'Book if I throw it in another bag or in my car. I like the Spire Boot (vertical with handle), but like other sleeves it's mainly scratch protection. Floppy.

I want SQUASH protection and something to guard the corners. Even just some corrugated plastic in the lining would be great. The looseness of the way AlBooks close makes me not want to have pressure on it from other stuff.

I know there are rigid reinforcers that fit into certain luggage--but I want something small that I'll use on its own mainly, or maybe throw into whatever bag makes sense at the time.

TIA
nagromme

meem
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 07:25 AM

the brenthaven sleeves have corrogated plastic in them.

http://www.brenthaven.com/products/p...em/sleeve.html

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 07:38 AM

Top of this forum has a sticky thread that covers all sorts of bags/cases/sleeves. Take a gander.

Mike

n_lim
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 10:08 AM

May not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think that the zeroshock sleeve would work well for your needs.

click here for the 15" zeroshock sleeve

I have one for my 12" and absolutely love it and the price is very reasonable as well.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 11:24 AM

Tom Binh Monolith. I have had 2 of them and they are perfect. Slide in and out of backbacks and luggage and are nicely armored and not too expensive.

check out the monolith here: http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=300

pgolf
Nov 13, 2003, 11:34 AM

Believe it or not the stylish, The Slim, from Acme has the protection you're looking off. Unlike the Tom Bihn, this has hard protection (plastic)for the sides where the ports are located too.

http://www.acmemade.com/bags.html

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:
Does anyone make a sleeve--JUST big enough for a PowerBook--that has rigid sides for some limited dent protection?

TIA
I'm going with Marware. There's a full line of different types of sleeves.

http://www.marware.com/SFSleeves.html
------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:

I already have big sturdy luggage--but I want something to protect my 'Book if I throw it in another bag or in my car. I like the Spire Boot (vertical with handle), but like other sleeves it's mainly scratch protection. Floppy.

I want SQUASH protection and something to guard the corners. Even just some corrugated plastic in the lining would be great. The looseness of the way AlBooks close makes me not want to have pressure on it from other stuff.

I know there are rigid reinforcers that fit into certain luggage--but I want something small that I'll use on its own mainly, or maybe throw into whatever bag makes sense at the time.

TIA
If you ask Gary at Waterfield he will insert stiff cardboard inserts into his sleeve case. I had him make one for my 17 inch Powerbook and it came out great.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 03:21 PM

Thanks! Very helpful to know there are several rigid options without getting a huge bag.

I like the Brenthaven sleeve, and the price is good. $35-40. But they all look good--maybe the Tom Bihn Brain Cell as well. (A handle is good for me.)

(The sticky thread isn't practical for finding a specific need, since this forum won't let you do repeated searches. I had overlooked all of the above in my quest!)
nagromme

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Lorinserbenz:
If you ask Gary at Waterfield he will insert stiff cardboard inserts into his sleeve case. I had him make one for my 17 inch Powerbook and it came out great.
Wow. Thanks for the info! I am very happy with my current Waterfield sleeve. It would, however, have been much cooler with titanium inserts!
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 05:04 PM

Ok--it's the Tom Bihn Brain Cell for me. $50 but gets great reviews. It's one of the smallest outside, but rigid on the sides and bottom and well padded with a sling on the bottom. Velcro instead of zipper. Stretchy 2nd pouch. Handles. Choice of colors.

Plus they use US textiles and manufacturing, and have a great environmental policy.

http://www.tombihn.com/braincell/

Thanks, all. (If I wanted a simple non-rigid sleeve it would have been the Boot from spireusa.com. It too has a handle and second pouch.)
nagromme

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by n_lim:
May not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think that the zeroshock sleeve would work well for your needs.

click here for the 15" zeroshock sleeve

I have one for my 12" and absolutely love it and the price is very reasonable as well.
their website states the zeroshock is not currently large enough for the Alu 15" powerbook. they're working on a larger one.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
their website states the zeroshock is not currently large enough for the Alu 15" powerbook.
This is false. I got a zeroshock (grey) from the local J-town (marketed by ELECOM, but it's the same product) and it fits my 15" AlBook.

Horizontally, it is very very tight, but it does fit. Vertically, it's about an inch too big, which is disappointing. Otherwise it is pretty good, though it could be a bit stiffer. The foam resistance is very nice.

At the store I was at they had 4 sizes: A4, A4L, B4, and B4L. A4 is the one I got... If they make a new one specifically for the Ti/Albook dimensions I'll think about buying it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules