Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Rainbow Six

Rainbow Six
aleximg
Nov 30, 1999, 08:23 PM

Hey guys

Sorry for posting this here but I couldn't find any other place to put it =)

I've been reading about some stuff regarding OpenGL and 3dfx's new opengl implement and how it's incompatible with Rainbow 6.

What's funny is I actually got it to work. Let me fill you in. I'm beta testing Rainbow 6 and up until the point I got my voodoo 2 card I was able to play it with ease. Now there wasn't and to my knowledge still isn't any 3dfx implementation in the latest beta seeded to testers. These new 3dfx drivers were a godsend. So I thought to myself maybe 3dfx support was in the demo so I downloaded it and installed it. I opened up the demo of Rainbow 6 and got the message "Please insert the cd" Being that I actually DID have the latest seed with me I thought it might work (although I was confused, being that it shouldn't have asked me to insert a cd if it was a demo) Well it did open and that's all the farther I got before I headed off to work.

Now today I come home and see my eight year old brother playing away and after reading that the drivers won't work I was kinda dumbfounded.

It could be me, it could the fact I have the cd but what I'm just wondering about is this: Has anyone else gotten Rainbow 6 to actually play without it losing any textures on a voodoo 2 card with open gl, etc and has anyone else been prompted to 'insert your cd' when trying to play the demo.

Ca$h68
Banned
Nov 30, 1999, 08:48 PM

I didnt get it to work at all so I deleted it. OH well.
Ca$h

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 1999, 04:31 PM

My brother got it working on his beige G3 with the new voodoo drivers.
Seems you have to be someone's brother to install and run it
I ran the demo fine on my iBook and G3 B/W under ATI. Runs great, less buggy than the PC version too. Will be buying it
Aaron

jwblase
Senior User
Dec 4, 1999, 09:36 PM

Someone told me that the 1.1.2 drivers wouldn't work with it. However, I downloaded the demo, and the 1.1.2 drivers, and it worked just fine on a Rev D. iMac. No problems, and it was WAAYYYY cool.
JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Forum Links
Forum Rules