Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro 15" with "Grainy" Matte Display?

MacBook Pro 15" with "Grainy" Matte Display? (Page 5)
dtdionne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 11:41 PM

I have both a MacBook Pro 15 and MacBook Pro 17.

The reason I found this thread and decided to post is the dramatic difference between the displays. My 15 is downright terrible. My 17 is spectacular.

When I bought them I had no idea that there existed a choice in display. I would have to say that I am releived to better understand the issues but I am still VERY dissapointed...

How can I tell for sure that my 15 is of the Matte bloodline?

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 01:15 PM

How can I tell for sure that my 15 is of the Matte bloodline?
If it's grainy, oily, glares, it's matte.
If it reflects like a mirror, if you can see yourself, it's a glossy.

ONG
Nov 30, 2006, 01:55 PM

ok matte and glossy are not even close (it's the opposite)... it's so obvious. it's like black and white.

ONG
Dec 2, 2006, 03:22 PM

finally got my matte. it (the "grain") doesn't bother me. easier on the eyes.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2006, 04:02 PM

OK, I went to the 5th Ave Apple Store last night, to check out as many MBPs as possible. All the ones I looked at were C2D. The matte ones all had a very bad grain on them. The glossies were not as bad, in fact if you weren't squinting right up against the screen you wouldn't see it at all. Again, these are only 15" models -- the 17" all looked great. One thing I noticed is that by playing around with the color profiles, it could look a little better. Honestly, on both matte and glossy, the standard LCD profile looks really sickly and washed out. I'd be curious to hear if anyone who owns one can play around with that and decide if it helps at all.

As for where this leaves me, I will not buy a matte screen at this point. As far as the grain goes, I would be happy with the glossy, but I found it hard to focus on the words on the screen sometimes. I was rather tired, so maybe that's why my eyes seemed to get unfocused, and I did just come from work where I spent the last 10 hrs staring at my matte PB, but I couldn't tell if it was something I'd adjust to, or if I would always get distracted by the reflections (I don't mean consciously distracted, I mean my eyes were confused by the depth so that they weren't focusing on the text). I also found it hard to adjust the screen so that I couldn't see any reflections -- no matter what angle, there was a light source being reflected. The whole thing convinced me that I should stick with matte -- but the mattes are completely disgusting right now, so I'm kind of stuck. I'm looking to wait for a few things to happen before buying, so hopefully the situation will resolve itself by then, but for anyone buying now, it really sucks.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 05:33 AM

Why don't you just get the 17" matte? I just returned my horrible 15" MBP C2D matte in exchange for a 17" MBP C2D glossy, I hope this will be better!

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 05:10 PM

For me the 17" really is too big. Even the 15" can be a hassle. I travel with my PB every day, lugging it around on the subway, up and down about 8 flights of stairs a day, often with another 15lbs of stuff in my bag already. Not to mention the times when I'm actually using it -- sometimes on a desk, but sometimes balanced on my lap in tight quarters, or sitting on a tiny shelf that barely fits my 15". The 17" is beautiful, and everyone I know who has one loves it, but that's because they basically use it as a desktop that they occasionally travel with. And one guy who needs it because he does graphics work, and he commutes with a tiny bag with only the computer in it, so I guess to him it's worth it.

I was trying to find a way to rationalize it in the store the other day, as it would be a more powerful machine, with a bigger screen, and none of the problems of the 15", but then I think about all the situations in which I would actually use it, and it's just too big. Since I have time to wait, I will see if anything happens with the 15".

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 02:33 AM

You guys must be living on a different planet than me. I am a photog who has been doing image graphics for many years, always using Apple displays. Currently managing ~9 macs and ~9 PC boxes. The matte screen on my 17" C2D MBP is unequivocally the best I have ever worked with (since the 128k Macs). It absolutely rocks!

On my desk right now next to 3 other displays (including a G4 PB) the 17" matte MBP is by far the best, even if I lower the brightness way down to match the other displays.

Prepurchase I perused all the laptops at the Reno Apple store and all the displays appeared exactly as I would expect. Yes, matte screens look like . . . matte screens. Viewed next to the new supersaturated supercontrasty glossy screens does make the matte look boring in comparison. If you like the glossy look, just buy one. Me I bought matte because IMO it is more realistic and seems easier on my eyes/brain for long sessions (e.g. 10 hours today).

When I bought my G4 PB I originally ordered a 17" but did not like the form factor and returned it for a 15". This time I bought the 17" because I need the screen real estate for Aperture, and figured I would "tolerate" the 17" form factor. Surprise - the larger, higher pixel count 17" display is so good I am off the 15" size forever!

Personally I do not understand all this "grainy" commentary; I have not seen any aberrant screens and my prepurchase evaluations were specifically directed at critically evaluating MBP screens. Of course bad parts of all kinds do sometimes get delivered. If one gets a flawed computer, send it back. If one prefers the supersaturated supercontrasty look, just buy glossy; that is why it is a popular option. I might have purchased glossy if I did not think that matte is easier on the eyes/brain.

Note: I did not compare against the latest Cinema Displays; I do expect that they are even better than the 17" MBP.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 4, 2006 at 02:42 AM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by danengel View Post
If it's grainy, oily, glares, it's matte.
If it reflects like a mirror, if you can see yourself, it's a glossy.
"Oily" or "glares" are not adjectives I would use to describe any of the matte screens I have been using for decades or to my matte 17" C2D MBP screen. In fact IMO those words seem to apply more to glossy screens.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 4, 2006 at 03:03 AM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by dtdionne View Post
I have both a MacBook Pro 15 and MacBook Pro 17.

The reason I found this thread and decided to post is the dramatic difference between the displays. My 15 is downright terrible. My 17 is spectacular...?
You may primarily be noticing the effects of the much higher pixel count of the 17".

-Allen Wicks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
"Oily" or "glares" are not adjectives I would use to describe any of the matte screens I have been using for decades or to my matte 17" C2D MBP screen. In fact IMO those words seem to apply more to glossy screens.
Strange you say so. My glossy 15" MBP rev B is far from being "oily" or "glaring".

OTOH I have none of these grainy problems and quality issues matte buyers seem to be suffering from. In terms of quality the matte screen on my 15" MBP rev A doesn't stand the slightest chance against the glossy I have on my rev B.
•

mrtho1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 10:16 AM

With regards to the screen shots included in this post that simulate what the grain looks like. Does it really look that bad when you look at it on a screen with this issue, i.e does it stand out like a sore thumb so it all looks gray and white ?. I have just brought a 17" Glossy MBP C2D, when I look at the gray and whites they look soild. I have looked at the screen with great detail, the only thing I can see that would look like grain is when you concentrate hard on the screen, and then drag a window around the screen, you can just about see the texture of the top surface, but I have to really look to see this. I can also see this on other screens such as my Iiyama TFT and my 20" Imac.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2006, 04:26 PM

-Allen Wicks
My matte 15" MBP was so bad that I returned it. I tried to photograph it, but no luck. So, the only way to describe it is "oily" (a rainbow-colored layer over everything) and that it "glares" (a disturbing mismatch of bright and unsharp). I saw this on 2 other matte 15" MBPs in town, and even on the 30" Cinema Display.

Hope my replacement 17" glossy will be nicer.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 05:15 PM

Note too that all displays are by definition imperfect. Our brains correct for the anomalies by focusing attention on subconsciously creating the image. If we intentionally focus our attentions on the screen rather than on the image we will see all kinds of things that in the eye/brain scheme of things should otherwise be irrelevant.

As a simple example just freeze a video on what seems like a good quality tv display and critically look at the image quality.

-Allen Wicks

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2006, 05:19 PM

You guys must be living on a different planet than me. I am a photog who has been doing image graphics for many years, always using Apple displays. Currently managing ~9 macs and ~9 PC boxes. The matte screen on my 17" C2D MBP is unequivocally the best I have ever worked with (since the 128k Macs). It absolutely rocks!
If you read the thread (or even the title) you'd see that nobody is complaining about the 17". By all accounts everyone who owns one or has seen one thinks it's gorgeous. The "grainy" screen is something that appears to affect only the 15" Macbook Pro, probably something to do with the supplier of that particular LCD.

So enjoy your 17", that seems to be the best solution for people who don't mind the larger size.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Strange you say so. My glossy 15" MBP rev B is far from being "oily" or "glaring"...
I did not mean to imply that glossy screens were either oily or glaring; those were not my terms. Just that if those adjectives were to be used I would think that they would not be definitive of what a matte screen's look is as compared to glossy.

-Allen Wicks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 04:40 AM

The matte screen on my 17" C2D MBP is unequivocally the best I have ever worked with (since the 128k Macs).
I just noticed this rather amusing statement. Did you ever work on a Mac 128k? I actually own two of which both are working and one is actually in the den where I am now. I can assure you that the Mac 128k screen sucks! Apart from being b/w, it's curved like crazy (pre-Trinitron era) and has a rather low resolution and pixel density. I'm gonna bet its refresh rate isn't stellar either. Back in its day it was quite nice, but to put it in the same sentence with modern MBP displays is nothing short of hilarious.
•

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I just noticed this rather amusing statement. Did you ever work on a Mac 128k? I actually own two of which both are working and one is actually in the den where I am now. I can assure you that the Mac 128k screen sucks! Apart from being b/w, it's curved like crazy (pre-Trinitron era) and has a rather low resolution and pixel density. I'm gonna bet its refresh rate isn't stellar either. Back in its day it was quite nice, but to put it in the same sentence with modern MBP displays is nothing short of hilarious.
Yes I worked on the 128k models; we had a Lisa ordered but when Macs were announced instead got two of the very first (cheaper) Macs. You grossly misunderstood my statement. When I said "The matte screen on my 17" C2D MBP is unequivocally the best I have ever worked with (since the 128k Macs)" I was simply saying that over the time frame since the 128k Macs I find that my current 17" C2D display is the best.

Sorry for miscommunicating. Hopefully not too many folks really thought I was saying that the 1985 black and white (if I recall correctly, visibly pixelated) 128k Mac screens were the best Apple ever made.

-Allen Wicks

crispinwilliams
Dec 6, 2006, 09:08 AM

Here is some info from Hardmac... maybe apple is going to fix this problem

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-12-06/#6199

Last Monday, we have received a message from Pierre-Yves.

I wanted to purchase a MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo, but I was told that they had received a message from Apple asking for not taking orders of MB Pro anymore; with not additional information.
We were following this news, waiting for additional information, comments or reports, and today we have received another message from FxParis.

I have received the following message from my Apple Reseller:
"bad news: MacBook Pro 15" production is temporary stopped due to a quality issue identified on non-glossy LCD panel. There is no additional information!"

It remains unclear if the production is stopped for all MacBook Core 2 Duo or only for those models with the non-glossy widescreen LCD display.

Surprisingly we have received very few reports about problems with MB Pro C2D. Apple might have increased its quality control checks to avoid repeating similar problems encountered with the first MB Pro Core Duo model. Indeed, it costs much less money to stop production for couple of days to fix the problem than paying LCD panel exchange for thousands of MBPro owners.
For sure it is a bad timing with the Christmas period approaching.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by crispinwilliams View Post
"bad news: MacBook Pro 15" production is temporary stopped due to a quality issue identified on non-glossy LCD panel. There is no additional information!".
This is great. Sounds exactly like they're fixing the problem in question. If this is true, I'm very impressed that Apple is taking quick action to admit it's unacceptable and fix it.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 12:18 AM

Let's hope they have some sort of screen-recall program for existing MBPs - I wouldn't mind swapping this out for a nicer display.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2006, 12:26 AM

it takes a movement for a company to recognise a products negative issues.

I sometimes believe this companys know stuff like this but play the lets see how it goes game.
if people recognise it lets fix it if not lets pocket all the extra cash we made by purchasing low quality parts.

not only apple but every business. Apple is shortly starting to be like the other companys where quaility no longer means top priority, and where quanity is the main focus.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

len999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 04:34 AM

Greetings,
I purchased my 15" MBP C2D 2.33 ghz 2 gig ram on 12/5/06.
I started getting eye strain while browsing in google for an hour or more.
I also found some of the keys on the keyboard to be noticeably misaligned.
Other than those two issues I like the MPB C2D platform.
I am returning it tomorrow.
I may get the 17" MBP C2D or just return the crappy 15" MBP C2D. heh
Anyway these displays are a joke on such an expensive laptop.
My ibook g4 doesn't look so bad now, lol.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2006, 10:48 AM

If Apple is 'fixing' (or even acknowledging) this problem, why are they only speaking of the matte version? BOTH the matte and glossy displays have the grain/sparkle effect. It's the same LCD Panel - one has the glossy coating while the other doesn't.

The problem is that the anti-reflective coating that the LCD maker is using is causing this undesirable effect. For some bizarre reason, they included this anti-reflective coating under the 'glossy' coating of the glossy display as well (totally defeating the purpose if you ask me). Lots of manufacturers do this to try to reduce the glare even on the glossy displays - not sure why since a pro user needs to request or special order the glossy version knowing full well it's going to be reflective.

Compare a new MB and a new 15" MBP when both displays are off. The MB looks like a black mirror, where the MBP has slightly less glare - this is due to that lovely layer that produces eye-straining sparkle/grain. Personally, I'd prefer more glare and a smooth and crisp display.

Sure, the glossy display isn't as bad or as obvious as the matte one (when it comes to the grain sparkle), but it's there (at least on all the ones I've seen). Just open up Safari w/Google on a MB and notice how whiter and smoother it looks versus the current 15" Pro (I've not seen the 17" models yet).

From my experience, I would assume that the 15" MacBook pros have both matte and glossy displays from Philips LG (who is notorious in the PC world as the Sparkle/Grain panel maker found in many Dell and HP machines) while the MacBook is using either an AUO or Sharp display (these are smooth, crisp displays found in smaller Dells and VAIOs). I'd love to know for sure.

FozzieUK
Dec 7, 2006, 11:07 AM

What's the score with this then? Has anyone succesfully got one swapped or fixed in the UK? I have had mine for 3 weeks now and I find the viewing angle terrible. I keep moving my head from side to side. One bright red pixel and the lid has a slight warp! Oh and the keyboard is slightly raised in the cursor keys region. This is my fifth and most expensive Apple Mac and the worse constructed.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2006, 03:54 PM

I just returned my 15" C2D MBP matte because the screen was so bad.

As a replacement I got a 17" C2D MBP glossy. The screen is good, but not perfect:

- the backlight is strong in the bottom

- color resolution is very bad in red, with noticeable discontinuities in a color gradient, somewhat better in green and blue

- white background is not completely "silent", there is a small amount of glare on it

All in all, I'm happy with it, although I had expected more for the price. Not sure though if there actually are any better screens available for laptops.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by StiZeven View Post
If Apple is 'fixing' (or even acknowledging) this problem, why are they only speaking of the matte version? BOTH the matte and glossy displays have the grain/sparkle effect. It's the same LCD Panel - one has the glossy coating while the other doesn't.
After examining multiple examples of both at the Apple Store, I was not bothered nearly as much by the grain on the glossy screen. Obviously they intended for the MBP glossy to have an anti-glare coating that the MB does not. Maybe they consider the MBP glossy to be what they intended it to look like (i.e. never quite as clear as the MB), whereas the matte version looks like someone took a crap on the screen and wiped it around.

Since you own yours and use it all the time, my 20 mins looking at a couple in the store can't compare to your experience with it, but from the models I saw, the glossy was acceptable, whereas the matte was clearly flawed by any company's standards of quality, not just the perfection we expect from Apple.

FozzieUK
Dec 7, 2006, 04:11 PM

Well I have just dual screened my MacBook Pro with a 3 year old 19" Iiyama LCD. Although slightly not as bright, the Iiyama is so smooth and sharp. Even 4" wider than my MacBook Pro, I can move my head side to side without the displays contrast altering and flickering.
I am contacting Apple Store in the morning about a replacement

Burn
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2006, 05:35 PM

I think it was identified a cpl pages ago (or maybe in another thread) that the matte is actually a coating overtop of what is closer to the glossy screen (which simply has an antiglare coating on it). Not that you can simply remove the matte coating and it's the same as a glossy display, but I do not believe something is added to make a matte display glossy, it's the other way around.

Good to hear there may be some movement on this for those experiencing the problem.

B

pete
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 07:15 PM

the grain/noise and uneven illumination are just two problems with these displays. The worst, in my opinion is the poor vertical viewing angle which makes it almost impossible to get a perfectly straight-on view (where brightness is at its max and colors true) without hunching over it or leaning back. If you want a good view of your display, the only way to get it is to have bad working posture.
( Last edited by pete; Dec 7, 2006 at 10:37 PM. )

len999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 10:19 PM

I looked at the 17" mbp c2d today and I was not impressed.
The displays they are using in the mbp c2d is well sad.
I want to buy a new mac laptop to replace my ibook but I will wait until they sort out the mbp c2d display issues.
Also, I looked at the imac screens today and they seem better than the mbp c2d.
I may pick one of those up instead of a mac laptop.

FozzieUK
Dec 8, 2006, 08:13 AM

Well I have just got of the phone to Apple and no messing about resetting PRAM or trying this or that, they said it is a hardware fault, gave me a case number and I have to take it into the Apple Store in the Trafford Centre (what? in December, 2 hour wait for the car park!!) blimey!

Just for everyone else, it is a matte display. I have not noticed the graininess as much, it is solely the terrible viewing angles. Having to bob your head around to look at a 15" screen on a �2,000 laptop (with Applecare) is ridiculous. As well as the aluminium above the latch release button coming away and the lid not closing snugly, a 2mm warp.

I am not normally picky Hmm...

freudling
Banned
Dec 13, 2006, 12:17 PM

Here is a thread on Apple's site: 4300 views so far. The MBP C2D matte screen looks grainy like the PowerBook Wallstreet does. When you put the Wallstreet next to a Pismo, you really notice the screen grain difference - the Pismo has no grain...

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro 15" Grainy Matte Display ...

crispinwilliams
Dec 13, 2006, 12:27 PM

Hardmac has an update on these grainy screens

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-12-12/#6221

"Following our previous news, leading to numerous reports sent to us by users waiting for their MBP, we have collected additional information from our sources; and we think to have tracked most of the story down.
The main problem is linked to a quality issue with "Matte" LCD panels. It would affect both 15" and 17" models, and a large part of the production lot 9C62 (17") and 9C56 (15") of LCD panel are defective even if it does not involve all panels.
Currently, large distributors are advising Apple resellers to promote glossy LCD panel-based MBP, as it is already the case on the Apple Store. Only glossy-based display notebook can be shipped on time for Christmas......"

bernt
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 12:38 PM

The problem is just as visible on glossy screens, so the quality issue is not due to the grain. I'm currently sitting in front of a 15" glossy and a MacBook. The MacBook screen is so much clearer, it is actually very annoying that a consumer laptop is better than a pro laptop when it comes to the screen.

I initially thought this problem was only for the matte screens, but when comparing with the MacBook I really got my eyes up for this problem.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 12:56 PM

i dont get it..i have a mbp with a matte screen. it 'suffers' from what you guys call the grain issue, as does the 20" dell lcd im lookin at right now and an apple 23" lcd (plastic bezel) im lookin at riiiiiiight.......now.

now i have the same mbp along side a mb (cousins). i see the grain in the mb as well, but the contrast in the mbp screen is 10x better than the mb screen...are you guys willing to say that a low contrast image with no 'grain' is better than a good contrast image with 'grain'. im very anal (no no children, no jokes) when it comes to anything and i know that the grain is there...but its in almost all lcd's if you dissect em that much.

i think i have to go to an apple store and compare with their machines, maybe my machine doesnt suffer of this syndrome
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

dtdionne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 12:35 PM

BUT I FOUND A FIX!!!!!!!!

Your not going to believe this but, after getting insulted by Apple and laughed at by CompUsa I knuckled down and spent $250 huge bucks on that somewhat rediculious looking Spyder Monitor Calibrator and like a miracle.....IT TOTALLLY FIXED MY MACBOOK PRO 15's ailing screen!!!!!!

IT NOW LOOKS AS BRILLIANT OR MORE BRILLIANT THEN MY MacBook Pro 17...which I must also admit has a Matte Screen.

Anyway, I don't think you have spend 250 bucks, I went back to CompUsa to tell them about this amazing discovery, they had a MacBook Pro on display that suffered from this horriable condition and I just went to another MacBook Pro that looked great and just copied the settings from the color calibration to it and it ended up looking 100% better....but I must add that I have now calibrated all 19 of my computer displays, LCD and CRT's and all 5 of my TV's, 3 46" LCD's and 2 65" XBRC Rear Projection and they all look spectacular...

I got the Spyder Pro and there's also a Spyder Std or something that's like $99 and it has the exact same "Eye" as the Pro, the Pro version comes wth a Printer calibration CD which I dont need...anyway, I hope that anyone suffering from this has equally miraculious results...

Apple should NEVER EVER let a laptop escape with color settings like my 15...rediculious

Take Care

freudling
Banned
Dec 17, 2006, 01:07 PM

spam...

dtdionne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 02:23 PM

wrong freudling

I am just a regular little guy that was horriable upset for spending ~3000 bucks (including apple care w/screen protection) for something that looked that terrible and that was also thrilled to have found a solution that did not keep me feeling like I had been ripped off with no recourse.

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 04:22 PM

Suure... Setting the gamma curves magically makes the backlighting even and the antiglare grain to disappear... oh yeah

dtdionne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 04:48 PM

If it doesnt work for you, then just move on...

Pointless posts are well, just that...now if your posting to hear (see) yourself speak or to just tear someone else down to make you feel better about yourself, i will give you two reasons to stop.

1. It shows how pathetic you are.
2. In life, you get what you give.

Now if you can't see how those two simple little statements are related you desperatly need to listen instead of talking all the time...or your just to young, give it time....there's a good reason children are taught only to speak when spoken too (an no, that is not mean and not meant to be mean...its one of the best things you can teach a child)...and if that statement upsets you, i feel so very sorry for everyone you've ever come into contact with.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by G. I. View Post
Suure... Setting the gamma curves magically makes the backlighting even and the antiglare grain to disappear... oh yeah
You know, I have to say I at least partially agree with this. As I said in my post of 12/2, when I went to the Apple Store to examine the problem on different models, I discovered that changing to a different color setting made it much less noticable, something I probably would not have noticed had I not been looking for it.

I'm not saying it's not physically defective, and I can't explain why it works, but I do agree that this is at least a sort of superficial fix that may help people who already have the bad screen and just want to be less bothered by it. Give it a try.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2006, 02:21 PM

Back then, I gave it a try to the solution given above, but with my aftermentioned Compaq laptop and it didn't helped... the best image I could get was with the given configuration.. anything else it just screwed it up worse, since it could be seen that physically you get the sparkle, and if you moved the gamma you could see a ghost effect.

I think that the screens are plain deffective. If Apple stopped production (according to some sites) it means they are fixing it and couldn't be done with a software update or such.

amp5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 06:42 PM

I purchased macbook pro 15" with matte display from apple store on 12/15 and grainy lcd is really annoying me. can i return it for refund and buy macbook (not even mbp with glossy after other forums) or have to pay restocking fee?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 21, 2006, 06:28 AM

Chalk another one up for a Perfect display. My housemate just got a 15" MBP C2D. It arrived about 2 weeks ago, and it's got even backlight (except very slight brightness near the bottom, but what laptop doesn't), no dead pixels, and no grainy-ness that I can see.

As a reference, remember the old horizontal lines problem with the last gen PB's. another friend of mine who has one can't see it, neither can anybody else, but I can see faint hints of it. My eyes are good, and i'm a picky sob. lol.
Ryan

NeutrinoMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 07:08 PM

I just received my MacBook Pro 15" matte screen a few days ago and I completely understand the grainy issue. What I don't understand, is all the fuss.

First - is this a defect? I don't think so. I think the amount of anti-glare coating applied by whoever made the screen is acceptable, the only problem here is that in combination with the high pixel density, we have ourselves a bit of an optical scattering effect. Many people will likely never notice the screen grain and the effect on lighter colors - in fact, they might just prefer the "softer" effect that it produces. Some people with discerning eyes WILL notice to the extent that it will bother them. Calling these displays "crappy" or "defective" I think is going a bit overboard.

I happen to be one of those people who is bothered by it, but I blame myself, not Apple. I've owned several Apple laptops, and have used many different LCD panels and I have never come across this effect before. Still, I should have gone into a store somewhere and had a good look in person at the machine I wanted before ordering online.

Second - I suspect this issue will likely be dealt with in short order, because it's so darn easy to fix - I'm guessing they will just ease off a bit with the coating on these high pixel density screens.

Long story short - if you're buying... be responsible and check the product out first carefully. If you really need the 15" MBP, then wait awhile until this issue clears up (pardon the pun).

Oh, and yes... I returned mine. I'll go with a 17" glossy, I've learned my lesson!
( Last edited by NeutrinoMan; Dec 21, 2006 at 07:18 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 21, 2006, 08:24 PM

Has anyone looked at what angle they're looking at the matte screen from? I just noticed that when I'm not looking at my screen straight on, the matte coating is more noticeable than when I am. Oh, and it's dimmer too-surprise! You should always view (and judge) a screen from its designed viewing angle you know... With the screen tilted so that I have the brightest possible picture, there is NO evidence of the coating. If I move it a bit away from that, I can notice (JUST NOTICE) the coating.

Is this what the fuss was all about? I still don't see any "grain."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gheff
Dec 22, 2006, 11:25 AM

Darn you all to heck!

I have MBP money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to look at them in the Apple store last night. I looked at the 15" matte and the glossy and both of them were grainy when compared to the MB. Even the 17" looked grainier than the MB. Noticeably grainier than the LCD's I'm used to looking at daily. If I hadn't seen this thread, I might not have noticed it.

Darn. Now I'm going to have to wait. I don't want the tiny screen or the lesser graphics card of the MB.

The money, it burns!
( Last edited by gheff; Dec 22, 2006 at 12:31 PM. )

ThMooner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 02:18 PM

I have a Macbook Pro Core Duo 2.0 matte, a Core Duo 2.16 Glossy(wife's) and I had a C2D 2.33 Glossy. The 2.33 looked the worst. Was grainy. The others were better. Due to other "problem's" with the c2d 2.33 they captured it and I got a 17" C2D glossy. The difference in the 17" screen over the 2.33 was very very noticable. The 17 shows no grain at all and may be the nicest screen I have ever worked on. Don't miss the 15"

Originally Posted by gheff View Post
Darn you all to heck!

I have MBP money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to look at them in the Apple store last night. I looked at the 15" matte and the glossy and both of them were grainy when compared to the MB. Even the 17" looked grainier than the MB. Noticeably grainier than the LCD's I'm used to looking at daily. If I hadn't seen this thread, I might not have noticed it.

Darn. Now I'm going to have to wait. I don't want the tiny screen or the lesser graphics card of the MB.

The money, it burns!

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 02:26 PM

could not deal with the grain on my 2.33 so i sold it.

now im debtaing wether to get a 17" lcd glossy or again a 15" glossy.

maybe i will just wait until the next macbook pro revision.

and just settle for a macbook now. I dotn see any screen problems on them
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

Forum Links
Forum Rules