Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is your Macbook/Pro your Primary Computer?

Is your Macbook/Pro your Primary Computer?
quiklee
Senior User
Apr 2, 2008, 05:47 PM

I just want to see who still uses a desktop? For me, I think macbook pros are powerful enough to run anything and everything, so just give me a nice 24" monitor if you really want me to sit down . . .

thoughts?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

davidflas
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 06:07 PM

I have a Macbook and 24" monitor as my only computer. I wish it had a better video card, but other than that it really fits my needs.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 06:22 PM

I do intense graphic and media work. A Macbook Pro would not be a convenient replacement for my Mac Pro. So, Macbook (of which I own the latest release) is merely a secondary device. I'm going to get a MacBook Pro as well but that, too, will only serve as an alternative device. For professional work, the desktop is irreplaceable in my opinion.

dingster1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2008, 06:36 PM

I live in a small apartment, so my MBP is my main computer. My son is running a 20" iMac, base model.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 07:53 PM

MacBook Air + 23" ACD at the office

Dell D610 + 42" TV at home

I'm totally mobile for now, although I'll probably pick up a gaming PC/HTPC/home server soon.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 2, 2008, 08:05 PM

My MBP was my primary computer until last August when I got my aluminum iMac. There are advantages to a desktop, including not having to worry about batteries and such. And since it doesn't really matter how much it weighs, you can have more stuff (drives, etc.) inside.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
I just want to see who still uses a desktop? For me, I think macbook pros are powerful enough to run anything and everything, so just give me a nice 24" monitor if you really want me to sit down . . .

thoughts?
Yes, my MacBook is my primary machine. I switched to it from a home-built gaming PC just about two months ago. I will never again willingly use another PC for my everyday use, and this MacBook has performed admirably for me.

The only downside is the gaming aspect...I don't get to play the performance-hungry FPS games like I used to, but a nice game of World of Warcraft runs just fine on this one.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

shrugs*
Apr 3, 2008, 12:44 AM

I've been using a notebook as my main machine for about 5 years. My Macbook travels with me about 1000km a week. Being a road warrior 80% of the time, it made sense to use the MB as my main system (at homebase it's connected to a 20" to take it easy on my eyes). I always thought it weird of people to go for a MBP over a MB just for the screen if they're only going to be doing work at their desk. Price difference from a comparable MB could get one sweeeeeeet external monitor (+ bt kb, bt might mouse, and some other toys).

I keep trying to justify a Mac Pro, but considering how little I work at home I don't see it happening any time soon. For the work I do with the notebook (photo editing, some print design, lots of torrenting, and using parallels for school software development), the MB is more than fast enough... and a welcome change coming from a G4 with 1GB of RAM.

If there was a current version of the 12" Powerbook I probably would've leaned towards purchasing it instead of the MB just for the sexy/rugged body, but right now a 15/17" MBP doesn't make sense for my lifestyle. I've had a 15.4" Widescreen notebook in the past, and still prefer the smaller 13" of the Macbook. Screen real-estate only effects me when I'm at home or the office, and I have external monitors at both locations. Any benefits of an external GPU wouldn't be utilized by my work/hobbies.

edit-afterthought - the main reason I'd get a desktop for home would be triple + monitors. 2 x 20" ultrasharps + 1 30" = mmmm. If I felt like burning some $$$ I'd opt for ACD instead.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 12:51 AM

My Macbook is my best machine. The iMac is almost six years old and my Mini only has 1 Gb of RAM.

So yeah, it's my primary. Occasionally--like when I'm working in Flash--I plug in another monitor, but for the most part the laptop profile is just fine by me.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 02:41 AM

Yes and no. For day-to-day stuff, I use my Blackbook. I do a lot of heavy Photoshop/Illustrator work, and with 2gb of ram it more than handles it. For storing my music/videos, playing video games, 3d modeling/animation, or anything processor intensive I have a desktop as well.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 03:42 AM

Here's another yes and no.

A 15" MBP plus a 23" ACD is my primary computer at work as well as at home in the sense that it's the computer I sit in front of most of the time. For the number crunching I do at work I need something a bit more powerful so I am usually logged on to a set of Xserves or a Linux cluster. But basically I always go through my MBP.

For my use the MBP plus external display, KB, and mouse is ideal because I can use it like a desktop, but I can still take it on business trips or home and always have my environment and all my stuff with me. I used to have a home desktop Mac, several office Macs and a portable Mac for trips. But keeping them all synchronized and making sure I always had whatever I needed on the specific Mac I was using was just too much of a hassle.

Personally, I think if you don't need the CPU/GPU power and/or expandability of a MP, a MBP plus a big external screen is the way to go. It's expensive, but it's the most flexible setup I can think of.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2008, 08:21 AM

MBP + 24" Monitor at home. Works well for now, but I am starting to do more and more computation here, so I am considering adding a MP to the fleet.

At work, it is 2 MPs (1 quad 3ghz, 1 octo 3ghz) and an iMac.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 09:20 AM

My MBP is my main and only machine. It's hooked up to a 24" dell monitor. I'm happy with the performance in general though I find the small Hard drive to be a little constraining.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Apr 3, 2008, 02:48 PM

just got myself a 22" BenQ . . . . i think i'm going to save up for the new Dell 30" too . . .

i wish that someone would come out with a better docking station than the BookEndz one . . . I would love a vertical one that i could just come home and throw my MBP into . . much like my iPhone . . then BAM . . my monitors turn on and i'm good to go at my desk . . .

there must be a demand . . where's the supply?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 03:40 PM

i wish that someone would come out with a better docking station than the BookEndz one
I couldn't agree more.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008, 03:44 PM

Since my first Powerbook 100 many years ago, my apple laptops have been my primary computers. I did own an old G4 tower for a while to use as a backup/music/video server but change in circumstances meant I no longer needed it.

Laptops all the way for me.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

tridentinecanon
Apr 3, 2008, 04:47 PM

Yes and yes.

(That's a yes for me and a yes for my wife, who doesn't know she's getting a new MBP 17" soon since I love mine so much.)

Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 11:13 PM

MacBook Pro and 23" Cinema Display.

jojasary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 12:49 AM

those of you who have their laptop hooked up to an external monitor, do you have the laptop open or closed more? I had my macbook hooked up to a monitor with it closed and I found it was getting incredibly hot. I just think the 13inch monitor sitting low on the table looks funny next to my raised 19 inch monitor.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2008, 01:55 AM

I use the MacBook detailed in my signature shown on the stand pictured below:

On this stand, it reminds me of a 13.3" iMac and it's extremely sturdy for any size MacBook. If I need to take my MacBook on the road, I disconnect a few cables and I'm ready.

I don't need a larger monitor but I may, at some point, get a 20" or 24" monitor to widen my horizon.

mStand - Home Page

jojasary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 02:13 AM

can you type on the mstand? or do you need an external keyboard??

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2008, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by jojasary View Post
those of you who have their laptop hooked up to an external monitor, do you have the laptop open or closed more? I had my macbook hooked up to a monitor with it closed and I found it was getting incredibly hot.
MB(P)s can get rather warm when used in closed-lid mode but it's nothing special to worry about. All portable Macs sold today have been designed to be used in closed-lid mode. Apple endorses it. These devices can take the heat. And if you seriously think your Mac is getting to warm, you could still open the lid after you've woken it in closed-lid mode. The internal display will stay off. More details in this thread.

I always use my MBP+23" combo in closed-lid mode because I can't stand 23" matte above the table next to 15" glossy on the table. It just bugs me. And since I like to use a full size desktop KB with numeric pad and a real mouse when I'm at the table I don't need the internal KB or trackpad anyway. Closed-lid mode all the way.

jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 09:05 AM

My wife and I both use our mobiles as our main computers. I have a MacBook, while the wife has a MBP. I have no problem using my MacBook, as I just use it to check email, do small bits of work, etc., usually while sitting on the couch or the like. My wife, however, uses her MBP for her graphic design business, with a 24" external monitor. She, like apparently quite a few others, are experiencing serious problems with the machine going to and returning from sleep, and allowing proper use (if at all) of an external screen. Apple is quite aware of this issue, and that is no longer an issue with new MBPs--so according to them, if you buy one now, it won't have this problem--but this significant problem is causing us to sell the MBP and buy a MacPro. I'm also selling my MacBook and replacing it with a 24" iMac. Overall, after using portables as our main computers (our first ones), we've just reinforced that we are desktop people.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jojasary View Post
can you type on the mstand? or do you need an external keyboard??
Typing on a MacBook on a stand is not the way to go. I use a keyboard from a Mac that I no longer use from eight years ago connected through USB as shown in the picture above. With the MacBook on the stand, the iSight camera is about at eye level.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2008, 05:31 PM

I don't know if this hurt the macbook at all, but what I used to do when I closed the lid was place it on it's side and let it lean like a book in a bookcase. I never had issues with heat because the airflow was good. That's why I think a vertical docking station would be a great idea . . . only if I had the skills to make one! . . . I have it drawn out and everything!

magicbumone
Apr 4, 2008, 07:33 PM

I have a MacBook Pro that I use for school, then when I go home I hook it up to my 26" LCD TV.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 08:40 PM

I have used portables only since 1998, in early 2001 I came over from the dark side into an iBook G3 and have not looked back. Just replaced my antique 17" PB with a MBA and use this now as my primary work/home, connected to a Dell 2407 at home and nothing at work as yet.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2008, 10:12 PM

I don't know if this hurt the macbook at all, but what I used to do when I closed the lid was place it on it's side and let it lean like a book in a bookcase. I never had issues with heat because the airflow was good. That's why I think a vertical docking station would be a great idea . . . only if I had the skills to make one! . . . I have it drawn out and everything!
This one looks to be very efficient and functional for supporting a MacBook used with an external monitor:

But, at a little bit over $300, it's a little bit pricey:

BALMUDA design N,A - Floater

hatim
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2008, 02:34 AM

I use a macbook at home and C2D desktop when I'm at school for the week.

RedMatrixXRS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2008, 02:42 AM

I use my MBP as my primary computer.

Use it for photo, video and Djiing at clubs.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 03:33 AM

When I had a 12" PowerBook, I used an external display as well. AFter I got a 15" PowerBook, and now a MacBook, it became my only computer. I mostly work from a recliner, which avoids ergonomic issues, but when I work at my desk, I use a stand and an external keyboard to prevent eye, neck, or wrist strain. I'm a writer, though, so I don't deal with graphic or video apps. My wife is a photographer and her 17" PowerBook is all she uses.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 6, 2008, 07:29 AM

Yes, it is. Wonderful machine, except it sometimes have trouble coming out of sleep after I moved it from point A to B.
Ryan

ooninay
Apr 7, 2008, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
This one looks to be very efficient and functional for supporting a MacBook used with an external monitor:

But, at a little bit over $300, it's a little bit pricey:

BALMUDA design N,A - Floater
That looks real elegant... now I totally want one! So expensive though...

gudrummer
Apr 9, 2008, 04:51 PM

My MacBook Pro 17" is my main computer,work with it everyday using Final Cut Studio 2.I have a MStand as well and the laptop ic connected to a 23" ACD.Love the setup,just missing an AJA IO HD......
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 05:13 PM

Sure is.... my macbook's great apart from the substandard LCD but thats solved with an external monitor!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 10:44 AM

I used a 12in Powerbook for a good 3.5 years as my main computer. Switched to a Macbook Pro last summer. I have a 17in LCD hooked up to it a home, though I really only use that screen for my IMs and movie watching.... I'd be perfectly happy with one screen. The only add-on I really need is my external hard drives. And a mouse. I always need a mouse.

I use the targis x-stand. Nice. Simple. Cheap.

I have 4 coworkers who all use Macbooks as their main computers.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2008, 11:43 AM

Excuse me for being clueless, but what is that stand good for?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2008, 10:44 PM

I've been desktopless since late 2004. Initially I had replaced my Shuttle PC with a Dell XPS portable for my gaming box. Kept the XPS around till the MacBook Pro shipped, and that is still my only machine due to the OS X and Windows abilities of the machine.

Prior to the Macbook Pro, I had a Powerbook G4 that I used for everything except gaming. This included being my main work machine, as I sometimes worked in the office, and sometimes at home. Having the laptop be my workstation in both places saved me a lot of hassle.

I am about to go back though, with a Mac Pro in my near future. I want a better gaming machine, and don't really game on the go nearly as much as I used to. Back when I lived in Colorado, I'd pack up the gaming portable and drive to a friends house to game at least once a week. Now, I occasionally hit up a LAN party, so the minor bump in performance for a newer MacBook Pro just isn't worth it. I figure next year, the MacBook Pro will be replaced by a second or third revision Air.
<This space under renovation>

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2008, 04:24 AM

Yes. I am using a MacBook as my main computer. I tested the waters of being portable in 2005 when I bought an iBook G3 to go with my Mac mini. Eventually I discovered I was using my iBook (Which had a G3) more than my mini (G4) which was twice as fast. So when it came time to replace the mini, I decided to go with this beautiful MacBook. I feel happier with a laptop really. My friend thinks I'm crazy for using a laptop as a main computer, but I don't care. My next machine when I replace this one will also be a laptop. (Either another MacBook or a Pro. Depending on my mood and available funds at the time. Whichever I pick, I'll be happy either way.)

I'm a one computer guy. I try to have two main computers and switch between them, I try syncing software and stuff like that, but I just feel better having one single computer to worry about, and having a laptop means I can be sitting at my desk, then just pick the whole thing up and go sit on the couch or lie in bed without having to copy files over or turn on a second machine.

freudling
Banned
Apr 12, 2008, 04:54 AM

Main: MBP, getting tired of the design though.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2008, 05:01 AM

Main machine has been 17" G4 PowerBook for 4+ years Great, loyal machines

Like freudling I got a little tired of the design and started looking at alternative form factors (e.g. tablet pcs) for my upcoming replacements.

I must say that there really isn't anything out there right now with as good a mix of performance, weight, battery life and design.

So I'll be on to a 15" MBP soon!

Lumchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 02:11 PM

We own a Macbook, PowerMac, and a mini. The MacBook is definitely my primary computer.

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2008, 09:18 PM

yes, mbp main computer although we have imacs in the office, i like the portability of the mbp. I have an istand and 21" monitor as external, with external drives for timemachine and video files. I also have a wacom tablet installed with wacom mouse, but if the usb ports are overloaded (for example, the timemachine drive is running, the wacom mouse goes nuts. its the only drawback here, as with an aluminum imac this does not happen. arg...

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

packet of krisps
May 5, 2008, 11:34 PM

I love my MBP, my PC has been in my closet for a month, I have 6 external hard drives and a 22"Samsung.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

Forum Links
Forum Rules