Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Speech gone in 9.1

Speech gone in 9.1
alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 12:58 PM

I use speech in 9.1, but since I started using OSX, I can't get speech to lanch in 9.1 It works fine in X, but I am thinking of going to voice recognition due to some problems with my hands and arms. How can I get speech to lanch in 9.1 again?

I have tried turning it off in X, then tried to lanch it in 9.1, but that didn't do the job. I noted that before i started using it in OSX, it was flaky, and wouldn't launch all the time.

I am afraid that i will not be able to use Via Voice in 9.1 if I can't get speech to work.

Thanks

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 02:04 PM

I'd check the extensions and control panels to see if for some reason they required stuff has been moved to the disabled folder or deleted. The Extensions as Speech Manager, Speech Recognition, and Speakable Items. The Control Panel is Speech
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

reader50
Administrator
Jun 3, 2001, 02:13 PM

Flakey behavior usually means a corrupted preference file. Try trashing the Speech Preferences file.

<alfredo>
Jun 3, 2001, 03:21 PM

I did all that.I am now at CompUSA, They work OK. So I guess there is trouble in my home system. I have trashed the prefs and reinstalled the software.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 03:24 PM

Though I've some sound oddities in X, they don't affect OS 9(.1). The alterations OS X does to the OS 9 System Folder are minimal so that most likely OS X is not responsible for your problems.
Just try reinstalling the speech components from your System CD.

-

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 04:41 PM

looks like I will have to reinstall. Grrr.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 4, 2001, 12:17 AM

The last time I had sound problems, it turned out to be the System suitcase. In my case, it was an inability to make sound input work. You can try replacing the System suitcase with a clean copy. If that doesn't do the trick, good luck with the clean reinstall.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2001, 06:00 AM

Looks like a task for after work. Thanks for the advice.

Al

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2001, 05:03 PM

Reinstalled the sound apps from disc, no good. Suitcase replacement didn't work. system acted up badly. Glad i saved the old one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules