Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mail.app identity

mail.app identity
sahara
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 01:52 PM

Is there any way I can have my message replies adopt the identity of the address I received the mail with?
i.e. If I receive mail as [email protected], my reply would send with the account for domain1, and use the signature for domain1. The same for domain2, and so on.
- Sahara

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2003, 01:56 PM

Sure, simply set up those different accounts in Mail.app, and make sure you have the proper SMTP settings, and you can distinguish exactly which account your "reply" will be from in the main mail window...a little drop box will be seen when you have more then 1 account set up in mail, and you simply choose which account it is that you want to reply with.

sahara  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 02:31 PM

Whoops, I meant can this be done automatically. I know it can be done manually. It's just that I forget to choose the appropriate one 90% of the time.
Is there any way to make it smart enough to automatically recognize which account setting goes with which email account receiving the message?
- Sahara

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 04:26 PM

2 answers really:

(1) YES w/r/t email: when you hit "reply" the new message should automatically be from whichever email address received the message.

(2) NO w/r/t signature: while you can have a default signature (and a handy pop-up menu in the compose window), you can't yet set a default signature on a per-account basis. For now, you'll have to select the proper signature when composing.
cpac

sahara  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 04:30 PM

Thanks. Is this in Panther? Gonna request it if not...
- Sahara

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 05:27 PM

Here's another Mail.app feature that might meet your needs:

Go to Mailreferences:Accounts:Edit:Account Information:

Email Address: List multiple addresses separated by commas -- [email protected], [email protected], etc.

Full Name: Leave Blank.

Now, when you Compose a new email, you are presented with an Account drop box listing all the email addresses (Replying automatically defaults to whichever address received the message, but can be changed).

Hope this helps!

Forum Links
Forum Rules