Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > quicksilver needs wifi access, recommendations?

quicksilver needs wifi access, recommendations?
sahara
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 01:40 PM

I have a dual-800mhz Quicksilver tower, which has no wifi capabilities built in. I have a 802.11g network that I connect to by plugging the Quicksilver directly into the modem with an ethernet cable. I will soon lose this ability and will need to give the Quicksilver wifi access. What kind of hardware should I get to do this? I found this item below, but I don't know if it's any good. Does anyone have recommendations?

http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/...~MA-WL-USB.asp
- Sahara

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2006, 03:41 PM

USB dongle, just like you linked to.

Mac Bird
Jun 12, 2006, 12:40 PM

I'm looking for an internal solution for the identical machine (DP800). Which would be better: 1)Apple Airport card or 2)PCI wireless card? I don't need the speed of 802.11g; I just want cheap.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Bird
I'm looking for an internal solution for the identical machine (DP800). Which would be better: 1)Apple Airport card or 2)PCI wireless card? I don't need the speed of 802.11g; I just want cheap.
Airport cards are about $100.
PCI wireless cards are more expensive than USB dongles. Do you really need an internal solution?

sahara  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 12:26 AM

Well I got the USB network adaptor that I originally linked to today. A before/after comparison of a DSL speed test reveals that I actually score *higher* with the USB adaptor than I do with the ethernet cable. But that could just be due to normal variance.

The only issue is that (with signal strength being in the high 90s) there is a noticeably longer delay before getting a response from a host (though after the response is obtained, everything loads as quickly as it did before.) Does anyone have tips on how to improve that?
- Sahara

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2006, 07:01 AM

I have a g4 but it only has USB v1.0 - I take it the speed is dramatically reduced if USB 2.0 is not available?

What PCI solutions exist? Is the D-link DWL-G510 an option ?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 15, 2006, 11:48 AM

Not really. In everyday use you'd never notice.

802.11g is (theoretically) 54Mbps, but it quickly drops off with distance
802.11b is 11Mbps, which is less than the 12Mbps of USB 1.1 (you don't have USB 1.0).

Your internet connection is WAY slower than any of that. You get 6Mbps if you're really lucky, and more likely you have 3Mbps or less.

tooki

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 05:35 AM

i've got a Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI card in my QS933 and have also had it working in a G5 1.8GHZ as well - no drivers needed.

Part # F5D7000uk

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...%2Etworking%2F

Forum Links
Forum Rules