Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > The return of Sawtooth II

The return of Sawtooth II
wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2007, 03:18 AM

I sold off my first Sawtooth last year, link to the project. Now I left with some parts from the earlier system. Here's what I have:
- 400MHz G4 processor w heatsink
- Rage 128 Pro AGP Graphic card
- Apple DVD-ROM drive
- Some cables
- ATX PSU

Looking at the parts and my needs to have a media center in the living room, I decide to build an ATX G4.

So the hunt begin to look for the missing parts. And lucky enough, I've found a good deal on ebay.

After receiveing the items, I took the RAM & HDD from my PMG3 for testing. Follow this guide for the ATX calbe mod.

I get boot chime. Everything looks fine, and as expected, I get the familiar Flashing question mark icon. This mean I need to reset the PRAM. Hold down CMD + Option + P + R doesn't do anything... Hmm... strange... Then I try "C" with OS X disc in the drive, not working...
Then I try "T" for target disk mode... still not working. I'm getting a bit nervous now.

Finally I tried holding "Option" key and hoping it will boot into something. Upon pressing the Option key... I see this:

Now... what is that? Fire up search engine, and I found this article. Further resaerch I found that Open Firmware protection disable all the startup mode I've tried. And to disable it, I have to add/reduce RAM, then I can reset the PRAM to get rid of it!

wow... now it works!

Next I bought an cheap ATX casing from local IT reseller. Fit in the boards, extend the ATX power cable, put in the drives, a speaker, 2x 8cm fan, power & reset buttons.

Next step is to install OSX. It couldn't start from the OSX DVD... strange. Then I tried installing OSX from another Mac, and it works, running 10.4.8. Enabled remote desktop and temporary control over network. Tested VLC, Realplayer10, Quicktime, all seems to work at acceptable level for 256MB RAM. Also I've enabled Frontrow, seems fine but the text are all mirrored. Maybe it's because lack of Quartz or Core Image.

(sorry for the blurry photos, will try to get a camera and re-upload better one)

Total cost so far:
$45 - G4 sawtooth logicboard
$15 - LED switch assembly board
$25 - ATX casing
$3 - 2x 8cm fan
$40 - VGA - TV converter
$17 - Some used SDRAM + old HDD
$145

Next is to look for:
- either PC to TV scan converter or a Mac AGP graphic card that can do TV-Out.
- Some cheap SDRAM.
( Last edited by wei; Apr 10, 2007 at 10:10 PM. )
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 10:59 AM

If I remember correctly, this logicboard has fan that blew air across the heatsink. Have you had any CPU overheating problems? Perhaps you should try checking temps.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 11:30 AM

Look! A Windows box that really runs OS X!

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
If I remember correctly, this logicboard has fan that blew air across the heatsink. Have you had any CPU overheating problems? Perhaps you should try checking temps.
Yes, the original Sawtooth has a 12cm fan blowing directly onto the logicboard. I've placed 2 8cm hi-speed fan instead. Will install temp-monitor and report back later.

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Look! A Windows box that really runs OS X!
lol

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 11:53 PM

Cool, but ugggggly.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 03:42 PM

FYI, you really shouldn't run any kind of sensitive electronic devices on bubble wrap. (Apologies if that is ESD safe bubble wrap). You can damage such components (anything with any chips of any kind on), especially RAM. And the damage may not manifest itself immediately.
Also, you shouldn't really touch such things unless you are grounded. If you like to mess with hardware, invest in an ESD mat and wrist strap. They don't cost much.

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
FYI, you really shouldn't run any kind of sensitive electronic devices on bubble wrap. (Apologies if that is ESD safe bubble wrap). You can damage such components (anything with any chips of any kind on), especially RAM. And the damage may not manifest itself immediately.
Also, you shouldn't really touch such things unless you are grounded. If you like to mess with hardware, invest in an ESD mat and wrist strap. They don't cost much.
Noted. Thanks for the advice, very kind of you. They are ESD safe wraper. Will consider to get the ESD strap & mat, but I don't work much on electronic stuff. I'm just a graphic desginer.

EasyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 10:32 PM

Cool idea. Like a home made Apple TV. But that case ruins it all. I would have stuck it in a Sawtooth Case and modded the crap out of it. At least painted it. I painted my Sawtooth Digital Audio. It makes it look like its a new product, like an iPowerMac

My Macbook Specs: 2.4GHZ C2D - 2GB RAM 667MHZ DDR2 - 160GB HD - Superdrive - Intel GMA X3100 - Mighty Mouse - Mac OS X Leopard - Windows Vista Ultimate

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2007, 10:52 PM

Not that I don't want a powermac casing. The location where I am is hard to find such parts. Beggar can't be a chooser, that's all I can allow for the budget of this project.

Just bought some cheap used SDRAM & HDD, will update later with some nicer shots with camera.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 6, 2007, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by wei View Post
Noted. Thanks for the advice, very kind of you. They are ESD safe wraper. Will consider to get the ESD strap & mat, but I don't work much on electronic stuff. I'm just a graphic desginer.
Hahahah. Sure. Put tinfoil on your head too. I've worked with computers for a very long time, no mat or wrist strap, no problems either.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Hahahah. Sure. Put tinfoil on your head too. I've worked with computers for a very long time, no mat or wrist strap, no problems either.
And I've never had a hard drive fail, so I shouldn't back up.

It's a good precaution if you work with electronics on a regular basis.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2007, 10:59 AM

To the OP... what's up with the last line of your System Profile?

Sale order number???

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
To the OP... what's up with the last line of your System Profile?

Sale order number???
I really have no idea what does it mean. I haven't seen such thing on all powermac I've use before. Probably it's a replacement board from Apple?

-------------------------------------------

As promissed, some clearer photos.
inside:

added 3 more SDRAM making 640MB total.
added another HDD.

side panel with fan & speaker:

DIY back IO plate with mounting board:

front:

LEDs now working.

EasyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2007, 02:53 PM

My Digital Audio shows the sales order number too. That case looks pretty good actually, need to paint the face of the CD drive black.
My Macbook Specs: 2.4GHZ C2D - 2GB RAM 667MHZ DDR2 - 160GB HD - Superdrive - Intel GMA X3100 - Mighty Mouse - Mac OS X Leopard - Windows Vista Ultimate

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2007, 10:06 PM

looking to replace the stock DVD-ROM with a faster one, in black ofcourse that'll be later.
just got my VGA to TV converter. everything now complete. my folks happily watching their show on TV everynight!

Forum Links
Forum Rules