Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Russia recognises the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia

Russia recognises the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia
zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2008, 12:36 PM

Great! These are the Kosovo recognition chickens coming home to roost!

zombie punk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2008, 11:34 PM

Wow - nothing, ha?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2008, 11:43 PM

Who else has recognized them?

zombie punk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2008, 11:44 PM

Venezuela, Abkhazia / South Ossetia, Nagorno-Karabakh, and Transnistria - do you think that matters? I mean, the point is that they will become part of Russia, no?
BTW - I know that the recognition status of some of those is dubious.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2008, 11:54 PM

Do you recognize them zombie punk?

zombie punk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2008, 12:30 AM

On balance, no.

Cold Warrior
Sep 1, 2008, 10:54 AM

Recognition is designed to further the point that the West is impotent and how defying Russia can result in one's country being carved up and possibly subsumed by Russia. That lesson isn't so much for the West as it is for the Baltics (with large Russian minorities), Georgia, and Ukraine.

The Russians will probably incorporate these two areas into Russia proper in order to really take negotiations off the table -- once a part of Russia, they will stay that way, whereas the West and Georgia have a glimmer of hope if they are independent. Russia also will not trust its strategic positions to the whims of these provincial leaders. Incorporation into Russia proper gives the Russians legitimacy to station all the troops, air, and naval forces they want to in order to control the western exit of energy across Georgia. This is important because a vice grip on energy ensures EU and European NATO acquiescence to Russian grand strategy of reestablishing dominance in the FSU.

zombie punk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2008, 01:43 PM

I agree - that looks exactly what Russia is planning. The west has given it perfect cover to do it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2008, 01:50 PM

I don't see any fault on the part of Russia here. And a *lot* of hypocrisy from the west.
The OP says it all.

Oh. Plus the fact that the west is pissed by Russia being the largest tax haven in the World - and one they can't bully like they can Liechtenstein or the Bahamas.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2008, 01:54 PM

Hey Cold Warrior, what do you think about the fact that your forum name is becoming more relevant every day?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Sep 1, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Hey Cold Warrior, what do you think about the fact that your forum name is becoming more relevant every day?
Heh.
Russia and the FSU was an academic focus of mine years after the collapse of the USSR and Russia, long after Russia and the region had become severely de-emphasized among academics, the government, and the military. I knew the country and the game-changing geopolitics it brings would reemerge at some point, although I didn't expect it this soon.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 02:01 PM

I'm confident that Bush can fix this problem. After all, he looked Putin in the eye, and has a sense of his soul!

That should be enough, right?

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2008, 04:00 PM

How is this different from Kosovo, Israel other nations that we like to recognize whenever we feel like?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2008, 05:27 PM

For good measure, here it is again:

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi View Post
How is this different from Kosovo, Israel other nations that we like to recognize whenever we feel like?
The better analogy would be, "How is this different from the United States and Cuba in 1898?" and the answer would be: it's not very, but I don't think there is any cause to welcome the return of naked military imperialism in Russia.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
The better analogy would be, "How is this different from the United States and Cuba in 1898?" and the answer would be: it's not very, but I don't think there is any cause to welcome the return of naked military imperialism in Russia.
How does recognizing the independence of a nation constitute imperialism? It looks like Georgia is the "imperialist swine" here - wanting to maintain control of an area where 99% of the population chooses independence.

Forum Links
Forum Rules