Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > We're all terrorists now, Sayf

We're all terrorists now, Sayf
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 07:06 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...E-project.html

A schoolboy was held as a terrorist suspect by police support officers - for taking photographs of a railway station on a geography field trip.

Fabian Sabbara, 15, was dressed in his school uniform when he was stopped by three police community support officers for taking photos of a station on his mobile phone.

He explained he was taking pictures, as well as pedestrian counts and a traffic survey, as part of a GCSE project.

But PCSO Barry Reeve told Fabian, from Cheam in South London, to sign forms under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act, which allows police to stop and search at random anyone they suspect of terrorism.

The pupil from Rutlish High School, Merton, was forced to comply or face arrest after he was stopped at nearby Wimbledon railway station.

After the incident, his mother Clare and father Felix contacted police to remove any record of the incident against their son's name - but were told it had to remain in place for six years.
Rule 8: Title says it all. Unless you want me to swear a lot.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 10:25 AM

Only in... oh, wait

You Brits are nuts. I hope it will not get as bad as this in the US.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 10:37 AM

Yes Doofy, I feel bad for you and England. For all the bitching you do about the USA, I can only presume that you're warning us (in your own intimate little way) of what not to become.

In NYC, photography in the subway (and other public places) was on the verge of becoming illegal. A lot of pissed off people put an end to that quite quickly.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Yes Doofy, I feel bad for you and England.
Hey, don't feel bad for me - I'm the sneakiest barsteward in the country with an IQ twice that of all the MPs put together. They're gonna have to get up real early to catch Uncle Doof.

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
For all the bitching you do about the USA, I can only presume that you're warning us (in your own intimate little way) of what not to become.
Well, you're already there, but in a different way. Your masters have hidden it more, since you lot have guns.

I do it because (1) I'm 100 mph all the time (can't relax unless I'm simultaneously watching films, working and reading - I'm a high-bandwidth kind of guy) and (2) we all, in every country, need to be fighting against our leaders. Price of freedom is eternal vigilance, etc., etc..

Oh, plus this thread was to let Sayf know that it's not just the Icelanders who're classed as terrorists by the UK authorities. The cocksockets running this place hit *everyone* with it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Price of freedom is eternal vigilance, etc., etc..
I think it boils down to your succinct statement.

Life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is still and will always be an uphill struggle.
( Last edited by osiris; Nov 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 02:06 PM

That's pretty ridiculous!

The number of otherwise small-government, conservative types on this forum who didn't seem to have much concern for the post-9/11 broadening of anti-terrorism/national defence powers in the US really astounded me. The general attitude seemed to be "oh well, it doesn't apply to ME" but no one seems willing to recognize the impacts (such as this) such powers could have down the road.

Scary stuff.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2008, 02:34 PM

Oh, plus this thread was to let Sayf know that it's not just the Icelanders who're classed as terrorists by the UK authorities. The cocksockets running this place hit *everyone* with it.
What surprises me the most is that there isn't any real uproar about this. People should be hitting the streets demanding such blatant abuse of the anti-terrorist laws are stopped. But the masses stay home.......

"Learn to swim"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 02:44 PM

I got kicked out of an Apple Store for taking pictures of its glass staircase.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
What surprises me the most is that there isn't any real uproar about this. People should be hitting the streets demanding such blatant abuse of the anti-terrorist laws are stopped. But the masses stay home.......
Stiff upper lip... ...or bread and circuses. Take yer pick.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2008, 03:05 PM

Brits are becoming much worse than Americans in their abuse of terrorist laws. Dangerous development.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 04:36 PM

Hey, don't feel bad for me - I'm the sneakiest barsteward in the country with an IQ twice that of all the MPs put together. They're gonna have to get up real early to catch Uncle Doof.
Uh, Doof? I hate to break it to you, but an IQ of 40 really isn't something to put on airs about...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi View Post
Brits are becoming much worse than Americans in their abuse of terrorist laws. Dangerous development.
Worse than when the IRA was active?
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules