Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple used racist name in Tv commercial

Apple used racist name in Tv commercial
tanbito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2009, 08:55 AM

The word is defenitely racist, even the supreme court agrees. I think they should apologize.

Linky

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 09:43 AM

We don't appreciate blog spammers here.

So I'll just link directly to the video here, giving everybody the chance to bypass the drivel on your site:
http://movies.apple.com/media/ca/iph..._r480-9cie.mov

And really, quite apart from the fact that you're only here to generate ad revenue on your site, the Terroni on Queen West in Toronto IS A REAL RESTAURANT.

In fact, there are dozens, if not HUNDREDS, of restaurants with that name.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22te...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Surely, Apple's to blame for this!

Apple just uses real-world examples.

Also, a brief lookup claims that "terrone" is not a racist slur, but means the equivalent of "bloody Southerner".
http://www.wordreference.com/iten/terroni
This is borne out here:
http://dictionary.reverso.net/italian-english/terroni
It's a somewhat derogatory regional expression, but "racist"?

The Italian Slang Dictionary has no entry for either "terrone" or "terroni", neither in its regular nor adult sections, leading me to believe that there is no truly offensive alternate meaning.
http://italian.about.com/library/sla...onaryindex.htm

So naming an Italian restaurant "Terroni", if it weren't derived from an actual surname (which it probably is in most cases), would be the racist equivalent of opening up a restaurant with New England cuisine and naming it "Yankee Delight", or calling a Southern restaurant "Redneck Roaster" or something.

YE GODS!

BTW: Do you have any idea what "tanbito" means in Japanese? How good do you think the chances are that your choice of name would identify you as racist, a pervert, or a crook in at least two countries on earth?
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Apr 4, 2009 at 09:54 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 10:09 AM

It should be noted that it is a Southern Italian restaurant owned by Southern Italians. This is what Terroni itself says:

BTW, the restaurant is totally awesome. I definitely recommend going there if you ever visit Toronto. Their Marinara pizza is my favourite in the city.

The Urban Spoon cost rating of "$$" is accurate for Terroni. It's inexpensive food, but very good quality. The other restaurant mentioned is Scaramouche. That's a popular haunt as well. I've never been there, but it's supposedly also very good... if you're willing to fork over that kind of dough.

P.S. This is probably in the wrong forum.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 10:33 AM

Meh.

Tar and feather the OP.

-t

tanbito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
We don't appreciate blog spammers here.

And really, quite apart from the fact that you're only here to generate ad revenue on your site

BTW: Do you have any idea what "tanbito" means in Japanese? How good do you think the chances are that your choice of name would identify you as racist, a pervert, or a crook in at least two countries on earth?
What site of mine are you talkin about? And tanbito is the combained name of my gfs two cats. Your a paranoid jerk.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 4, 2009, 02:15 PM

Thread moved to the Lounge, since the discussion doesn't really pertain to iPods. Let's keep it within reason folks. The real spammers seldom come back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by tanbito View Post
What site of mine are you talkin about? And tanbito is the combained name of my gfs two cats. Your a paranoid jerk.
You created a new account to link to a lame, inflammatory amateur article about a complete non-event, on a site with a bunch of revenue-generating ads.

I may be paranoid, but you still had all strikes against you.

I apologize if you actually have no vested interest whatsoever in that site, and merely deemed that particular molehill interesting enough to actually register a new account here for.

Also, for the record: I have no idea, nor do I care, whether your username actually means something in any other language you've never heard of, or where it comes from.
I was making a point that was obviously lost on you.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 02:37 PM

Paranoid because he's seeing racism where it wasn't intended?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Their Marinara pizza is my favourite in the city.
P.S. What I mean by that is that it's very authentic. I'm not Italian and I'm no connoisseur, but Terroni's pizzas seem to me to be just like the ones that Italian friends I dined with in Italy called good. Very different from North American pizza. There are several places in Toronto that do make this type of pizza, in traditional wood ovens, but so far Terroni's is my fave.

Now all I'm waiting for are anchovies like you can get in Italy. So far all the anchovies in North America I've had haven't compared.

tanbito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2009, 02:46 PM

Spherec harlot, apology acepted as i dont know the guy who wrote that and couldnt care less if he makes money or starvs to death. I wanted to know what guys on this forum thougth about racism and it turns out that its perfictly fine with most of you. that's just wrong. Racists are stupid. I thougth you guys were smarter than that.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2009, 03:02 PM

I wanted to know what guys on this forum thougth about racism and it turns out that its perfictly fine with most of you. that's just wrong.
You haven't managed to demonstrate racism yet.

Racists are stupid.
That's not necessarily true. Racism doesn't correspond to intelligence so much as it does a lack of education.

I thougth you guys were smarter than that.
Yeah I think I see the problem here…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2009, 03:51 PM

Spherec harlot, apology acepted as i dont know the guy who wrote that and couldnt care less if he makes money or starvs to death. I wanted to know what guys on this forum thougth about racism and it turns out that its perfictly fine with most of you. that's just wrong. Racists are stupid. I thougth you guys were smarter than that.
No, just smarter than you.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 4, 2009, 05:31 PM

Since you had to inform us that this term was racist among certain groups (which we are all apparently not members of), and since the ad presents the name of an ACTUAL restaurant, I think your conclusions that a) the TV ad was intended to be racist and b) we're all ok with racial slurs, are groundless. Maybe you might want to have a word with the people who own that restaurant in Toronto.

But posting here to call us racist because we are not in the group that even KNOWS this term is supposed to be objectionable is simply not accurate. Most of the membership of these forums ARE smarter than the average bear, and we are also a rather exceptionally tolerant bunch. If a particular term had been obviously objectionable to any of us, we'd have already posted about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 08:05 PM

Geographical slurs ≠ racial slurs.
It's only like the porridge monkeys calling us proper people "sassenachs".

Oh and since this is an Italian thread... Paging Voodoo to the lounge, Voodoo to the lounge please.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 08:31 PM

We are.

In fact, we're smart enough to identify stuff that is NOT racist, and then not bother to get all excited about it.

What you've been hearing is what guys on this forum think about people who cry racism at things that aren't.

You've also managed to demonstrate a complete inability to understand what people are telling you.

I thought you were smarter than that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 08:55 PM

What's a porridge monkey?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What's a porridge monkey?
Here's one. In a skirt. With a handbag hanging from the front of it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2009, 09:56 PM

If you define "racism" so broadly that totally innocuous things fall under the category, it's nobody's fault but yours if you find this made-up "racism" everywhere.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dzp111
Senior User
Apr 4, 2009, 11:53 PM

Obviously the Op's easily influenced and has a chip on his shoulder.

Also easily ignorable.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

tanbito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2009, 09:33 AM

I may be easily ignorible, but racism isn't as Apple just pulled the commercial due to that blog.

Link

I'm glad to see that they steped up to the plate and took it and racism seriously unlike some people on here!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 09:56 AM

No, they did it because they're a corporation and wanted to avoid a bunch of crap from knee-jerk reactionaries such as yourself.

I doubt Apple sees it as racist any more than the rest of us do. They, however, have a lawsuit risk whenever anything like this comes up, because people are hypersensitive here in the US of A.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 10:26 AM

In the future you'd do well to quote the blog post and links... It never hurts to have some content in your OP.

I may be easily ignorible, but racism isn't as Apple just pulled the commercial due to that blog.

Link

I'm glad to see that they steped up to the plate and took it and racism seriously unlike some people on here!
seriously, start pasting the blog posts in your posts, it's looking more and more like you're just trying to generate clicks for your blog.

Tiresias
Apr 15, 2009, 10:39 AM

Well, you know the old adage: If you eat a beefsteak, the eyes of that cow will follow you through all eternity.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2009, 11:51 AM

Link

The "racism" was so very "obvious" that it took them how long for someone to explain how it was racist? Seriously, they pulled it, but more to placate people who think THE RESTAURANT has a "racist" name. And to be accurate, isn't it an "ethnicist" name? Are there different "races" of Italians? I didn't think there was more than one sentient race on this planet (unless dolphins qualify, and maybe they don't want to be equated with humans).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It's only like the porridge monkeys calling us proper people "sassenachs".
Or like us, calling the Zhongguoren 'Chinese'.

I've actually been to Terroni's with two other MacNN members—good food.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I've actually been to Terroni's with two other MacNN members—good food.
How completely and utterly racist of you. Supporting an establishment that makes it's living debasing an entire class of people. I don't know how you sleep with yourself.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 05:07 PM

Tell us who the other two MacNN members are so we can shun them.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2009, 05:14 PM

Being a mick, I was taught plenty of ethnic slurs for every ethnic group, including Italians, at a young age- but I've never heard of this "Terroni". Sounds like something you would find on the menu at Pizza Hut. How good can an ethnic slur be if no one even knows it's a slur? I'll stick with the generally accepted slurs, thank you very much. I'm a fan of the classics.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 05:15 PM

This isn't worthy of it's own thread so I'll just plop it in here...

I work for an ad agency and we handle retail stores... anyway, we frequently run specials where you can buy X amount of X and get a free iPod and blah blah, so we contact Apple legal about a new one that's a little different and the email we got back from the official Apple rep had several typos and rather poor grammar. Pretty funny stuff. I was a bit surprised actually.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Being a mick
Speaking of that, I was looking at a profile on XBOX live the other night and the kid put in his profile that MS censored his name because it's an Irish slur. Hilarious.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Tell us who the other two MacNN members are so we can shun them.
I'm not sure I dare—one of them has a huge CCK cleaver.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I don't know how you sleep with yourself.
You mean right or left hand?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2009, 12:21 AM

Hopefully some crazy politician or something isn't going to make them take down their banner.

P.S. I hope the iPhone gets a better camera in its next iteration.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2009, 09:26 AM

Well, if Apple was unknowingly using a term akin to the N-word, they made the right decision to pull it off the air :-).

Edit: didn't realize the N-word was censored.
( Last edited by Hugi; Apr 17, 2009 at 09:39 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2009, 10:21 AM

I get the feeling that this particular term is only objectionable to such a small group of people that it's akin to certain "neighborhood slang" from parts of NYC. If you live two blocks outside that neighborhood, you don't know anything about it. Of course there, from what I understand, such slang is used to include and exclude members...

In any case, we've spent how long discussing this whole thing when it's obvious that the only member who considers the term offensive is the guy who registered just to complain about it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hugi View Post
Well, if Apple was unknowingly using a term akin to the N-word, they made the right decision to pull it off the air :-).

Edit: didn't realize the N-word was censored.
Oh, the irony.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Oh, the irony.
Indeed .

I just didn't know this was a censored board and though we could use "forbidden American words" in a conversation such as this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules